Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Give us your feedback about the Level Editor! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby Whyme » 20 February 2020, 23:56

I will keep this idea short but informative.

I would love to see a schematic saving and schematic browser for creations that others have done. Not in a sense of decorations or backgrounds. I more so refer to selecting a certain building you've done in your map or level editor. Something like a trigger combination for a new mechanic (Like: You made a slot machine trigger combination), or simply just a house you built and want to share it with others.

They could be uploaded/saved to a public and private browser for personal or public use. And if someone searches for "Slot machine" on the browser as example, it will show all the schematics of (potentially) working slot machines. Or maybe someone searches a big house design for their map? That browser could keep them covered.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Kind regards - Whyme

Whyme
Recruit

Re: Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby Girl_Power » 21 February 2020, 04:04

What you've just suggested here is a near-impossible idea. There will have to be a huge update just for this one feature is Eric Gurt is way too busy to put in a feature like this. What I suggest instead is make a lighter, possible feature where you can copy items from a map editor from one tab and paste the copied items onto another map editor which is on another page.

Basically: Copy items from map editor > paste items onto another map editor

This will save a lot of time and effort as well as making the map editor tool much more effective and efficient. (Not sure if this idea was discussed on a topic already...)
Forever young, ever strong, ever brave.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby mrblake213 » 21 February 2020, 07:32

Or just... open source the map?
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Girl_Power » 21 February 2020, 08:47

mrblake213 wrote:Or just... open source the map?

No, I mean when you want to transfer specific items from one map editor to another, not copying an entire map and editing it.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby jeje52 » 21 February 2020, 13:06

Girl_Power wrote:What I suggest instead is make a lighter, possible feature where you can copy items from a map editor from one tab and paste the copied items onto another map editor which is on another page.

You can already copy specific things from one map to another:
1. Copy objects
2. Press "Open Map" and open the map you want to paste to
3. Paste objects
jeje52
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby Whyme » 21 February 2020, 13:33

I get what you mean and I'm using the same approach occasionally. If it's too much of a hassle to add, this idea is redundant pretty much immediately. I was more so curious since we now have custom decorations, we could also add custom schematics, too. For everyone to use, or just for yourself.

Whyme
Recruit

Postby jeje52 » 21 February 2020, 15:36

Whyme wrote:I get what you mean and I'm using the same approach occasionally. If it's too much of a hassle to add, this idea is redundant pretty much immediately. I was more so curious since we now have custom decorations, we could also add custom schematics, too. For everyone to use, or just for yourself.

I have a feeling it might be possible with some changes to the game and level editor. The objects could be stored in a separate json file, that can then be added to the map's json. Of course, a way to save schematics and view them would also be necessary. I don't know much about jsons, websites or saving stuff online, but I don't see how it wouldn't be possible either. It would be almost like the custom decorations, except you upload from your map.

It would be a neat addition, as you could put all your bits and bobs in there for more people to see and use. It would also give more recognition to the programmers, instead of just people that know level design and decorating. You could, of course also share level design and decoration.
jeje52

Postby Girl_Power » 21 February 2020, 23:24

jeje52 wrote:
Girl_Power wrote:What I suggest instead is make a lighter, possible feature where you can copy items from a map editor from one tab and paste the copied items onto another map editor which is on another page.

1. Copy objects
3. Paste objects

Is it really that hard to understand what I'm talking about? Jeje52 you have the idea that I have in mind but it doesn't work for me. When I select the object I want to copy and then paste it onto another map, it simply doesn't let me.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby jeje52 » 22 February 2020, 11:41

Girl_Power wrote:
jeje52 wrote:

1. Copy objects
3. Paste objects

Is it really that hard to understand what I'm talking about? Jeje52 you have the idea that I have in mind but it doesn't work for me. When I select the object I want to copy and then paste it onto another map, it simply doesn't let me.

It works when I do it.
jeje52

Postby nightmar » 7 June 2020, 17:44

Girl_Power wrote:
jeje52 wrote:

1. Copy objects
3. Paste objects

Are you trying to copy objects from a tab to another or do you use the open map function?

On topic, you can just make a map filled with mechanisms that interest you and the copy anything you want from there.
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Girl_Power » 7 June 2020, 22:10

nightmar wrote:Are you trying to copy objects from a tab to another or do you use the open map function?

I'm trying to copy objects from a tab onto another tab. I'm guessing Chrome doesn't allow me to do this?
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby nightmar » 9 June 2020, 02:38

Girl_Power wrote:
nightmar wrote:Are you trying to copy objects from a tab to another or do you use the open map function?

I'm trying to copy objects from a tab onto another tab. I'm guessing Chrome doesn't allow me to do this?

It does not work through different tabs like that. You must copy an object, then open the map you want to paste it to( through the "open map" function) and then paste it.
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Girl_Power » 9 June 2020, 03:44

nightmar wrote:
Girl_Power wrote:

It does not work through different tabs like that. You must copy an object, then open the map you want to paste it to( through the "open map" function) and then paste it.

So it only works if you do the process all on one single tab? Dang. Alright, thanks for your help!
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Return to Level Editor