Buffing Wall Jump

Give us your feedback about PB2.5! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Buffing Wall Jump

Postby ustopable » 8 April 2020, 07:50

The Wall jump is the most underused movement in the game especially in multiplayer unless you;re creating a puzzle or parkour game. Most of the time you'll replace it with the Gravitator or a height high enough to use Self Boost.

The main problem is

1. You're exposed while doing it especially you can't fire back as it will stop you from doing wall jump unless the enemy is below you.

2. Falling is painful so it's better to replace it with Gravitator.

My buffs would be.

1. When jumping to a wall you can stick to it but you'll slide down slowly. In this way you can stop yourself midway and can still fire back. The wall jump is now literally jumping from a wall. The sliding part is included so you can drop down from a high place slowly without damaging yourself.

However

you will still get damaged when you try sticking to a wall in a same height the fall damage would occur and it will have a bigger initial slide but after that the slide speed would return to it's normal speed. THis is to stop the player from abusing it to avoid getting a fall damage.

Also

The wall jump have a bigger velocity to the direction you will jump. Example you sticked to a left wall. Jumping would give you a boost to the right. The reason for this is that there are some games where you can wall jump in the same wall and still increase your altitude. The big velocity to the direction you will jump will give you good speed to stick to another wall and big enough that if you return to the same wall you will not gain altitude but lose a little

2. Pressing down would allow you to cancel sticking to walls and jump drop down right.
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Re: Buffing Wall Jump

Postby Girl_Power » 8 April 2020, 23:00

So this is similar to Mario then. Except it's PB2 you're talking about...

Honestly, I see no problem with the wall-jump feature. I think it should stay like this because if you decide to change this feature, gameplay would be a lot more different in approved maps (think about how stryde-sniper would work then). And also, I don't think Eric would make any more major updates for PB2 since PB2.5/PB3 is coming soon (I hope).

Good idea nonetheless.
Forever young, ever strong, ever brave.
Girl_Power
Noir Lime [600]

Postby ustopable » 10 April 2020, 02:54

The big problem is designing a combat map where you can wall jump. The risk of getting shot down without the chance of firing back is too large so you'll always end up designing a map that will be achievable by self boosting or achievable by placing gravitators. I might even say in this game wall jump doesn't even have a place except for a few uses like SP Maps or Puzzle Maps.

You could create large single player maps and puzzle maps that features a wall jump and a gun wall jump however it won't make it good in combat. If you ask me if stryde sniper will change. Nope everything you need for mobility there is better achieved by self boosting anyways and the lower skilled players will play with the most basic movement set PB2 have given them.

Of course we don't need to make all movement abilities good in all aspect of the game however if you introduce a movement ability into the game and you'll forget it anyways except for some really cool SP, Campaign and MP maps

Lastly this is PB 2.5 Feedback and Ideas section.
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby _SkilledNinjaHyperX_ » 26 July 2020, 17:41

so hope eric gurt will add it in plazma burst 2.5 and combat maps change so when you get hit and fall down a high height you can grab wall and slide it then someone can drop you if he shot down a wall XD
Bro

_SkilledNinjaHyperX_
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Phant0mB0nnie » 27 July 2020, 00:34

Main problem I see is that the AI can't wall jump, which is why gravitators are often used instead so that allies can keep up.
Me in my imagination:
Complete and utter annihilation through superior volume of fire.

Me IRL:
Spoiler: Show More
Phant0mB0nnie
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby nightmar » 27 July 2020, 02:17

Selfboost still seems like a better option. I mean seriously where are you going to find a place so high that you will need walljump instead of selfboost to reach it? And besides the buffs you mentioned do not really help with the whole "being shot down" problem.

Walljump in it's current form seems better to me. There is no way it can replace selfboost, however in it's current form it works well as a defensive move. I know that cause I use it often myself. Adding buffs like that will make it more complex to use, and imo will end up being used even less.
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby yizhe » 27 July 2020, 03:14

in pb2.5, ai would be able to wall jump. i actually thought wall jump is a very unique feature and personally i wouldnt want it to be removed
Meep!
yizhe
Android T-01187 [200]

Return to Feedback and Insights