Opinion on the new hit-registration (big bad)

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Opinion on the new hit-registration (big bad)

Postby unknown 1 » 22 October 2019, 19:01

Alright, so in my opinion the new hit registration is terrible, somehow even worse than the previous one. I made the mistake of voting for the new detection without actually trying it first. I have on average roughly 250 ping on the American server. Countless times when some enemy's projectile clearly missed on-screen I still end up receiving damage. And it happens laughably often. This especially often happens with low projectile speed weapons (like rocket launchers). Other players also have noticed that pretty often a miss still does damage for no reason. Probably the most annoying thing is when I fill an enemy player full of bullets and then their username disappears and they go into a ragdoll state, the same state when you kill someone in MP (making me believe that I killed them) and then they "resurrect" in a different but close location and kill me (no, I'm not talking about respawning). Honestly, I have absolutely no clue what causes this to happen. Maybe these problems only affect my computer, because apparently most players like the new hit detection. I understand that Eric is trying to make it so that every shot that hits really does do damage, but receiving damage for no reason is just stupid. And in my experience, just like the old hit registration, you can still see your bullets go directly into/through an enemy player without doing anything. So it doesn't even fix that. Thank god there is the old multiplayer, which is played by a grand total of 0 players. In my opinion there is no reason for approved to even exist, considering how much bullshit hit registration you have to go through playing this game (unless everyone playing has less than 100 ping). And no, I am not mad just cause I did bad in some match, heck, I don't even play approved. I am only a level 7 so that should give you an idea how little you need to play the game to realize how broken the new hit detection is.
Last edited by unknown 1 on 22 October 2019, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

unknown 1
Recruit

Re: Opinion on the new hit-detection (big bad)

Postby Jason Eden » 22 October 2019, 19:08

Jason Eden wrote:New hit detection system has its drawbacks, true. But on the other hand it gives a new life to the ranked section of multiplayer. I notice how new people discover how fun it is to play battle maps and not only custom maps in custom section. Eric simply revived multiplayer by doing that. How come you don't see it? It is so obvious.

Just give it time. Maybe later you will change your mind about it being bad.
Jason Eden
Falkok [250]

Re: Opinion on the new hit-registration (big bad)

Postby meliante » 22 October 2019, 21:20

I totally agree with you, unknown 1.
The new update is great (the best in the game history I think) but the new hit detection ruin it...
I also want the "Old Multiplayer" to be the default Multiplayer ... Also if you compare the number of people who like that "improvement" with the one that doesn't. Most people will want the old system return.
https://prnt.sc/ox8tpk
F the game. F
meliante
Civil Security Lite [100]

Re: Opinion on the new hit-detection (big bad)

Postby Green Eyed Demon » 22 October 2019, 22:55

Jason Eden wrote:
Jason Eden wrote:New hit detection system has its drawbacks, true. But on the other hand it gives a new life to the ranked section of multiplayer. I notice how new people discover how fun it is to play battle maps and not only custom maps in custom section. Eric simply revived multiplayer by doing that. How come you don't see it? It is so obvious.

Just give it time. Maybe later you will change your mind about it being bad.

Don't see how I'd change my mind about it, it's horrible, all of my clan members think literally the same.
Spoiler: Show More
Green Eyed Demon
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby Darnit525 » 23 October 2019, 10:49

i keep saying this but nobody seems to care, there's even a post on eric's twitter suggesting the idea of keeping both and he said it's a bad idea, so why did he do it anyway?
Darnit525
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby mrblake213 » 23 October 2019, 14:11

It was so we can please both sides.
If you want old MP then go play the old MP, it's available anyway.
If you want the new MP, you can also easily play it.

If you're saying that you like old MP but you don't like to play it because there's no people, maybe no one wants to play old MP that's why no one is in the server.

I just think that the people against the new hit reg are complaining just because they were used to the old ones. Nevertheless, PB2 will always stay on client sided but it would be changed in PB2.5 as it would be server sided.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Eric Gurt » 24 October 2019, 03:11

Approximately half of players who were playing PB2 competitively through years have voted for new one.
Majority of regular players and map makers voted for new one, small part voted to keep both.

I was mostly curious if somebody would keep using old netcode considering many of players who preferred it to new one weren't visiting PB2 website much, at least before update.

I don't think silver bullet can really be here with client-sided nature of PB2. Sure there is a problem of "resurrecting" players, but that just usually means that both players eliminated each other at what seems to be the same time (within timespan of sum of both players' network delay). If that wasn't done - you'd see dead players shoot and kill you.

Another option would be waiting for hit confirmation, but that can be visually very slow if played from or against players with high network delay.

I believe that new netcode so far is the best one - for both regular players and whoever sees PB2 as more of a competitive game.

Both netcodes work good on low network delay cases, but new one really works better even there. Ping limits are still an option.
Work it harder
Make it better
Do it faster
Makes us stronger
More than ever hour
After our work is never over.
Eric Gurt
PB2 Developer

Postby Pixelbyte » 24 October 2019, 03:38

Eric Gurt wrote:Both netcodes work good on low network delay cases, but new one really works better even there. Ping limits are still an option.

i've seen a lot of players with high ping complain that the new netcode was worse for them, though when i played in the EU server i haven't had any issues, so i'm not completely sure. i am all for having both netcodes but my guess is that
1. would be hard to implament
2. multiple the issues by two
2a. if one player has old netcode option and other player has new netcode option, you'd have both negative aspects of both netcodes

ex. player with old netcode can shoot someone directly and them still not dying (because of lag), aswell as dying from bullets that don't directly hit them. bullets become much harder to aim and shoot because of both netcodes being used at once, making it harder to kill because both aspects of lag would be at work. compared to just sticking to the new one where its more accurate and you can guarentee a shot hitting if you hit them client side.

(sorry if you don't understand what i'm saying)

personally i think the new netcode is better and having both options would be nice, but realistically it wouldn't be very good and cause even more issues between players, so i understand the choice of just keeping new netcode. maybe high ping players can learn to adapt and use it to their advantage

Pixelbyte
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Eric Gurt » 25 October 2019, 07:20

Playing with higher ping just became as fair as it used to be when playing with low. Sure it looks like suddenly opponents don't miss hits onto player who used to have 250+ of network delay in milliseconds. Game really even wasn't able to lag compensate network delay of 150-200+ since then player would just look like he is teleporting around (TCP-based nature of connection won't allow higher update rates for high network delay players).

High network delay with lag compensation were creating an effect where players could shoot behind corners without pressing X and appearing vulnerable to hits which was looking like direct cheating if not a game netcode abuse. This was only working if total network delay of attacker and target was high enough so here is another reason why it is probably not much of good thing.

Old netcode is available for beating all levels of campaign mode (or if save file is shared). There won't be mixing up for old & new netcode even within match list (old netcode multiplayer appears as separate button in game menu, customly-colored).
Work it harder
Make it better
Do it faster
Makes us stronger
More than ever hour
After our work is never over.
Eric Gurt
PB2 Developer

Postby nightmar » 23 March 2020, 11:25

Eric Gurt wrote:Old netcode is available for beating all levels of campaign mode (or if save file is shared). There won't be mixing up for old & new netcode even within match list (old netcode multiplayer appears as separate button in game menu, customly-colored).

But why does one have to beat all levels to gain access to the old multiplayer?
How many bugs does this game have anyway? jeez
nightmar
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Return to General Discussion