Let's Say You're the Developer of PB2: What Would You Do?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Let's Say You're the Developer of PB2: What Would You Do?

Postby mingo1 » 22 September 2016, 04:04

A lot of people talk smack to Eric about flaws regarding PB2, yet never really say how they'd like to fix said flaws. (Not everyone does this, but I'd say the majority just list the issues without any suggested solution.) Therefore, it's time to flip the picture.

Parallel universe - you're the developer of Plazma Burst 2: how do you run things? How often do you do updates to the game? What type of Staff did you select? Are you not the only developer?; did you pick up an entire developing team? How often do you communicate with the community? If someone rages at you about lag on the servers or something, how do you respond?

It's easy to reply to this topic saying "I always communicate with the community and there's updates every day and I have the best staff ever" cmon, don't be that guy/girl lol... think a lil outside the box. For example, for "what type of Staff did you select?," describe how your ideal Staff deals with issues and how they're a valuable aspect of the community.

You don't need to answer all the questions btw, and you might even go beyond the questions I asked. Let me know how you'd be if YOU were the dev. of PB2.
I believe this topic promotes open discussion about Eric's strengths and flaws as a single dev., and how the community would do it differently.
Be creative, haha!

:D

Mini-signature (since they're gone lol)
|-------| My YouTube Channel |-------|

http://www.YouTube.com/c/Turbine768
mingo1
Administrator

Re: Let's Say You're the Developer of PB2: What Would You Do

Postby pixelbyte » 22 September 2016, 04:23

I would make pb2, and constantly update it to keep people into it. Making PB2.5 as a seperate game does seem interesting, and i probably would do that because pb2 isn't that popular, not even a good update would bring it back. I probably would know alot of stuff, even stuff that isn't needed before making a game, so I know stuff. Like I would know different stuff, like I would be a graphic designer, not like being a average one but like one that can make a living off making beautiful art, but still being a game dev, so I can make the most quality art in my game, and I would take my time. up to 5 Years so i won't waste too much time and end up bankrupt. For the community, it would be complicated with the mind i have now. I would try to higher good people, while having little priviages onto moderators, because i can't trust anyone as of them. and I'll work my way up to having a game thats constantly updated at least once a month, if i can somehow keep it that way. Maybe having a patreon and putting the game on steam, and possibly have additional features (that you have to pay for) and stuff like that. I could go into more detail but this is enough...

pixelbyte

Postby guest-electric fish » 22 September 2016, 09:54

good question mingo1 If i were developer of PB2 i would have done
a)solve all the plazma burst 2 issues which tortures and kills all users
b)cancel once and for all pb2.5 and create plazma burst 3
c)i would had create updates which would help all
d)i would had create a place where people could write me an problem and i will respond
e) i would show plazma burst series to YouTube and to steam in order to gain more players
guest-electric fish
Falkok [250]

Postby Moonhawk » 22 September 2016, 10:08

I'd focus on both Plazma Burst 2 and 2.5, rather than what Eric is doing (which is letting his most popular game die so he can move the non-existent fanbase from here to PB2.5). I'd release Plazma Burst 2.5 as a PTB at around this time to fix bugs or to get more people willing to contribute/add ideas for the game once they actually know what it's like. I'd also release the game on Steam once complete (probably early-access whilst in PTB).
Moonhawk
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Kostadin 8 » 22 September 2016, 22:19

i would optimize the game better for low end pcs
Kostadin 8
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Postby tehswordninja » 23 September 2016, 01:47

I would first find a way to get donations. I know there are plenty of people who would freely donate to eric but he's not taking money for some reason.

If I was the dev before PB2 came out, I would have released some extra content every few months to keep people into the game. I would also have a team that could assist with testing, coming up with new content, and answering the community's questions.

If i was eric now, i would make one final small content patch for PB2: adding some new weapons, couple skins, and perhaps some triggers.
i'd get a small dev team to assist with pb2.5 and try to come up with a general release date.

i'd release the game early for both testing and so more content could be added later on to keep players into the game. could even drop the game without multiplayer, then add that as a big update or something.
tehswordninja
Proxy [700]

Postby monkeyman2535 » 23 September 2016, 04:19

I think we're past the point of no return--I'd nuke the site and send personal letters to the parents of each remaining player encouraging them to get their children outside.
monkeyman2535
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby Dark Reaver » 23 September 2016, 16:35

monkeyman2535 wrote:I think we're past the point of no return--I'd nuke the site and send personal letters to the parents of each remaining player encouraging them to get their children outside.

Even if you aren't 100% serious about your post, it would still benefit humanity and encourage a few nerds to 'get a life'.

I personally wouldn't care about PB2. I'd view 'reviving' this game a useless effort.
Dark Reaver
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby rayriflepie » 24 September 2016, 13:05

I would update PB2 a little more because game will die before 2.5 is released and I would endorse the Revivalists. As of the staff I would choose, no offense but I think we need some big changes. Doomwrath makes all these dumb necroposting rules nobody understands. Most of the staff don't admit they made a mistake unless it's a ban appeal or has been proven as a mistake by the majority of the public. My staff would be like Garuda 1; he seems to focus on issues that matter the most. I would be the only Developer. I would try and play the game at least once a month.
Last edited by rayriflepie on 7 November 2016, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
rayriflepie
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Moonhawk » 24 September 2016, 15:05

rayriflepie wrote:I would endorse the Revivalists.

1) The Revivalists were ended by Mingo and Spirit a while back IIRC.
2) Eric did, but he received backlash from the community and removed the (R) tag (his name was Un(R)ealCrash or something when he was publicly supporting them).
Moonhawk
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby maxim12 » 24 September 2016, 18:02

I wouldn't do anything different from Eric gurt. If I was the developer, I'll just work on PB2.5 as eric does now.

Well, to addition, I would perhaps allow people to donate money to keep up the game. And perhaps advertise PB2.5, and do anything to keep the community alive, active and succefull.

monkeyman2535 wrote:I think we're past the point of no return--I'd nuke the site and send personal letters to the parents of each remaining player encouraging them to get their children outside.

Dark Reaver wrote:it would still benefit humanity and encourage a few nerds to 'get a life'.

Funny, very funny.

For some people, playing video games is a hobby. Telling them that they're "No lifers" and then start making fun of them or insult them is a behavour of a bad person. Perhaps those who trying to find something or someone to insult or accusing them of having "No life" was basicaly having no life? Get your heads working please. I simply lost so much brain cells from reading those posts and from the amount of stupidy those posts contain. :nope:

But hey, why you're here then. Aren't you played PB2 too? So why don't you count yourself as "No life" then, because you played PB2 just like the other 'so called' "No lifer's".

Just because someone who likes to play video games, does not mean they don't have "Life".

Uh. I just LOVE to see how people judge other's life.

guest-electric fish wrote:b)cancel once and for all pb2.5 and create plazma burst 3

Whats the point in that? Why would you cancel PB2.5, you basicaly just wasted your effort.

maxim12
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby Incompetence » 24 September 2016, 23:43

maxim12 wrote:*wall of text*

*TRIGGERED*

if i was developing pb2, i'd make sure i have a decent amount of money and a budget first before making it

as for staff, there would be none :^)
Incompetence
Civil Security Heavy [300]

Postby Terror Only » 25 September 2016, 00:30

i would do what eric would do

Terror Only
Falkok [250]

Postby Myrth » 25 September 2016, 11:48

disclaimer: everything written here is of course my opinion; parental guidance may or may not be necessary <3

pb2.5

My approach to releasing PB2.5 would be similar to Mojang's approach to releasing Minecraft: releasing it as an alpha or indev and adding more updates leading up to the official release. This is mostly because I'm dying to try the skin editor out. Bonus points if some bigass company decides to buy this game and people start calling me a sellout.

pb2 game/technical-wise

I'd open myself up to donations from the community, with most funds going into either creating a new multiplayer server (preferably one in Asia to solve a whole lot of lag problems) or drastically improving currently existing ones to boost their performance. This is basically my first order of business - getting multiplayer out of beta. Every other aspect is fine.

Secondly, I'd find out ways to provide exposure to new mapmakers. I'd set up a "ten featured maps of the day" kind of system which would only include maps that have been created by people not in the best custom level developers and are active. Half of these maps would be singleplayer and the other half multi. This would be displayed on the main page along with the top 20 players.

staff/community-wise

The current staff system is fine for this kind of community. As far as I'm concerned it will basically collapse in on itself in most of the other communities I'm in.
Myrth
Recruit

Postby Elitech » 25 September 2016, 13:31

warning: if you are offended by anything in this post, please note it's only my opinion.

PB2.5

Release a beta RIGHT NOW. Let people test it. Let them eat until the big meal is served.
Probably get a developement team from Raze-they made the game quite good, so I would really like to team up. I would not let them develop game physics>rather develop some art.

Staff: I'd demote Kazy and DoomWrath. Kazy doesn't respond to my reports;
DoomWrath is simply cynical.

Community:
Talk to members every day. See suggestions. AND MAYBE invite players to the Staff Team:
Stryde
Vikon
iHateHackers
and more...
Ban players:
gajacar25
CaptainSolo
kjs
Noir Lime12
XyZ
(sry)
Elitech
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby darkstar 1 » 25 September 2016, 14:08

1) I would come up with the best update idea ever, work 5 minutes on it and than cancel it because it takes too long... so: no updates
2) Staff is good like it is now
3) I would be the only developper because I'm horrible at working in group
4) I would communicate more with the community when I'm not busy
5) For people who complain about lag I would recommend them to buy a decent computer or internet connection
darkstar 1
Proxy [700]

Postby K2Shape » 25 September 2016, 14:19

I most likely have no complain against Eric Gurt or anything since he is a human being and have lifes and own thoughts. Plus no developers are perfect,each developer's knowledge are limited and each game has it own flaws.

First personal thought : But if I was the developer I most likely would just be slightly more active on the community (For ex: In-game or chat) even if it was only saturday/sundays, since to me community sometimes have better development suggestions/ideas than developers themselves. By playing your own game and talking to the community, new ideas can arise from there.

how do you run things?
I think how Eric Gurt himself runs this game is decent enough, since I have no history of being a game developer I most likely will run it the way Eric Gurt does.

How often do you do updates to the game?
Most likely I would update everytime I fix bugs. But major updates like adding weapons, I would put them all into same update.

What type of Staff did you select?
To me, there is no perfect staff too. Hence, I would just pick the ones that does his/her job seriously when its time to be serious.

Are you not the only developer?; did you pick up an entire developing team?
Most likely I would like to work with someone else as duo-developer , etc. But working in big group cause many problems like communication issues. Hence most likely if I was developer I would pick 1/2 very trusted ones to work with me.

How often do you communicate with the community?
The more I communicate with community = The less time I spend on developing the game. But at the same time generates more ideas. I would most likely be on the pb2 chat everytime... afk and developing the game(LOL). But at the same time I would most likely be playing the game with the community every saturday-sunday for a few hours. This also helps to generate new ideas for up coming updates.(In my view)

If someone rages at you about lag on the servers or something, how do you respond?
There is no need to rage back. Since it is true that some part of the game sucks. But then if you think about it, the game has no in-game purchases, only advertisement for Eric Gurt to earn income in order to support the server. Hence, I would most likely provide them the logical reasoning.

Overall, I believe that no developers/games are perfect. Since games themselves cant be made to fit everyone's personal liking. But I believe in just making a game better instead of seeking for perfection. The same way I think about Eric Gurt. He is human like us, for example : He can't be on the computer responding to community and developing PB2 at the same time; He needs to manage his time properly like us. Hence, there is no use complaining about how Eric Gurt sucks, instead, give him suggestions on what to improve.
K2Shape
Recruit

Postby I warrior » 25 September 2016, 14:36

1st of all if i was the developer of pb2.5 i would try and find some people to help me make the game so it can be out faster.
2nd i would communicate with the community as much as possible.
3rd i would add fanmade content(as long as its balanced).
4th add more snow

I warrior

Postby wreak » 30 September 2016, 00:45

"wut does dat mean m8? wutever u suk at sniperz lol xD."

If I was working on pb2 while eric was working on pb2.5-3. I would probably add new trigger actions like "change gun A to gun B" if I even knew how eric even makes those.
wreak
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby ZapruderFilm » 30 September 2016, 03:36

I would leak the IP addresses of known attackers of the website, I would recode it to hash in SHA256 in the database, I would try to get some sort of clouflare protection, I would probably not be capable of sticking to the project, as I just don't have the surprising motivation of Eric Gurt.

I would also not be so strict on censoring sensitive content.

I would add an anticheat system.

ZapruderFilm
Android T-01187 [200]

Next

Return to General Discussion