Why do people like football?

Any Offtopic community discussions not related to Plazma Burst

Why do people like football?

Postby lostmydollar » 3 July 2018, 13:55

I dont understand why people are so happy to watch how a bunch of sweaty millionaires run and kick a ball. Also football fans behavior... They are like monkeys. Any thoughts?
John Sidney McCain III
(August 29, 1936 – August 25, 2018)
You will always be remembered
lostmydollar
Civil Security Heavy [300]

Re: Why do people like football?

Postby phsc » 3 July 2018, 15:07

so i live in brazil, and here, soccer is really, really popular, mostly because when you play it, it is indeed fun, but thing is, its kinda of a cultural thing, most families have only one team which everybody in the house likes, and after all, its a tradition, the fans r stupid cuz this tradition is kinda more common with poor people, so some people are really retarded and act like monkeys, into the point of starting fights cuz their team lost the game
anyway, as someone who "kinda" went pro in a esport, which is dota, i had a few fans, like 25 people, not rly a lot, and i would even add them on steam cuz at the start i liked it, but then, people would watch me play pubs, i mean not like qualifiers to big tournaments which i couldnt win, and like not me streaming or smth, but pubs, via the dota client, and i mean im not even that good, and i realized, maybe people just enjoy watching people do what they cant do, i mean, soccer is like, kinda hard to do like the professionals do, you need to spend a long time to get into that level, and i realized it, so its kinda like a mix between a historical/cultural thing + OH HEY HE DOES SOMETHING I CANT I WILL SUCK HIM, which are really common things that are even common in pb2
anyway, little do they know theres really like a mafia running soccer, and that in the brazilian world cup, the last one, the amount of money laundering via the stadiums was really, like next level big
anyway no problem, people just life different things, it can go from anime to soccer, and you prob wont be able to change their opinion, so just let them be
bye guys
you cant ressurect what is being raped by necrophiliac neckbeards such as tehswordninja
phsc
Falkok [250]

Postby Hikarikaze » 3 July 2018, 22:41

In terms of the World Cup, it's really more because of national pride. Soccer's a popular sport worldwide after all so there's no better way to show that other than war but no one wants the latter

In terms of individual leagues and teams or players, I'd guess it's the same reason as with any sport: people like certain teams or certain players. It's like having an idol basically. Aspiring sports players/fans tend to watch their favorite team or player to imitate their play style better or because they have a personal emotional connection that they make themselves
Hikarikaze
Proxy [700]

Postby DoomWrath » 4 July 2018, 05:40

I'm not into it, but I reckon it's because it's a game many people are exposed to from a young age, a game that presents role models, teams to support that share their nationality or national pride, and something to get behind and cheer for. People naturally like to support 'their side' in things. At ground level, people like football because it's a simple game at heart, with a low bar to entry so anyone can play. Once they've experienced it first hand, they're a ton more likely to watch it on TV. Hik's points are fair too.
DoomWrath
Administrator

Postby massmurrder » 22 July 2018, 15:57

all points stated above are true. although football isn't necessarily a national pride, it's mostly for fun and sometimes business.

massmurrder

Postby Pixelbyte » 11 August 2018, 03:09

cuz its fun‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫

Pixelbyte
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Kostadin 8 » 11 August 2018, 03:20

Pixelbyte wrote:cuz its fun‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫‫

d i s a g r e e
October 29th, 2016-August 04th, 2018
Kostadin 8