Can i request a map?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Can i request a map?

Postby lostmydollar » 9 November 2018, 16:35

I think i've played every single approved map of pb2. And ive got to say i didn't like any of them. They are either stryde-sniper clones or something that isn't stryde-sniper but doesn't really depict anything. I mean level developers don't even try to make building and other things realistic. They don't add stairs, rooms, canalization, furniture. They just put random senseless wall combinations here and there, put a lot of modern and futuristic weapons at spots where nobody would ever leave a gun. I mean normal people hide their guns under the bed, in the safe or weapon room. But no! Map maker just throws them on the floor. What the hell? Nobody would do that. Many map makers make symmetrical maps but have you ever seen a biome or a bulding that is entirely (inside and outside) symmetrical? I'm pretty sure you haven't. There are other claims too, but i think what ive said is enough to get the meaning of what i dont want to see in ranked section.

I wonder if someone could make a map that would actually make sense and be suitable for approval at the same time. What about a city map?
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Re: Can i request a map?

Postby phsc » 9 November 2018, 17:32

most pb2 maps are just following the campaign
realistic maps arent a thing that are gonna be played much, they arent that fun to play in mostly cuz it kinda sucks, you cant move a lot which is a main pb2 gameplay mechanic, and prob camping is what would prevail, and it is just boring, weapons on the floor? its mostly for balanced gameplay

and well, its not the pb2 style of things, its not a realistic game, staff isnt going to approve something like my shipyard map that is supposed to be a little bit more realistic, phsc-shipyard if u want to take a look

and well, truth hurts, and the truth is pb2 is not going to go into that direction, eric isnt going to change it to you, and i dont think theres any 2d scroll shooter that follows your criteria, its kinda sad as i would like to see like a realistic pb2 but its prob not happening

also btw ive seen quite a lot of symmetrical buildings irl, in my school theres 4 that are exactly the same, a few apartments are like that too

anyway, theres many city maps, i had a project to make one but then, why? roleplaying? killing? its not really popular, it would take quite a ton of time to make good decoration, and in my case i dont realy have the time to make pb2 maps anymore
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby lostmydollar » 9 November 2018, 17:57

phsc wrote:
Spoiler: Show More
realistic maps arent a thing that are gonna be played much, they arent that fun to play in mostly cuz it kinda sucks, you cant move a lot which is a main pb2 gameplay mechanic, and prob camping is what would prevail, and it is just boring, weapons on the floor? its mostly for balanced gameplay

and well, its not the pb2 style of things, its not a realistic game, staff isnt going to approve something like my shipyard map that is supposed to be a little bit more realistic, phsc-shipyard if u want to take a look

and well, truth hurts, and the truth is pb2 is not going to go into that direction, eric isnt going to change it to you, and i dont think theres any 2d scroll shooter that follows your criteria, its kinda sad as i would like to see like a realistic pb2 but its prob not happening

also btw ive seen quite a lot of symmetrical buildings irl, in my school theres 4 that are exactly the same, a few apartments are like that too

anyway, theres many city maps, i had a project to make one but then, why? roleplaying? killing? its not really popular, it would take quite a ton of time to make good decoration, and in my case i dont realy have the time to make pb2 maps anymore

your map is so laggy dude. overdetailed. pixel art is something isn't really needed for realism. and ammo system isn't needed too. wall combinatons is what really matters
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby phsc » 9 November 2018, 18:47

lostmydollar wrote:
phsc wrote:

your map is so laggy dude. overdetailed. pixel art is something isn't really needed for realism. and ammo system isn't needed too. wall combinatons is what really matters

it isnt laggy
it is overdetailed and pixel art is no prob imo, but i feel like its the closest we are getting to realism, how can you say something is a bed to hide a gun under if theres no bed decors in pb2?
ammo is needed cuz, well, theres no weapon that is going to have a infinite method of doing damage like the ones in pb2, thats actual realism
and wall combinations do matter but are not all that matter, as it doesnt really show any kind of realism, how are you going to make cover inside rooms with only walls? as irl most of the time people use objects, other than the fact its all a bunch of empty space with no uses without pixelart

dude really i dont understand you point
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby lostmydollar » 9 November 2018, 19:19

pixel art simply doesn't look good in pb2. Eric once told me the same. so it's the best to keep it at minimum. 1 table, 2 tables and a chair is enough. irl rooms can be empty if there is no one living in so lack of pixel stuff won't make the map less realistic. but it will make it less laggy which is really important for the approval. ammo system is what we will have in pb2.5 with actual reloading animation, ammo seeking and bars. trying to create this by hand in pb2 is a bad idea and i hope you understand why. yes, lack of ammo system makes map less reaslitic, but still, it's the best to wait for pb2.5 for ammo system as it will have a better implementation. alternatively you can add energy weapons only as they might not need ammo(who knows?). this would solve both problems - lack of realism and lack of badly looking ammo system

what i wan't is a perfect building plan. stairs, elevators, transations between rooms. i want this be turned into this
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby phsc » 9 November 2018, 19:33

lostmydollar wrote:bunch of text

and who said eric is right? hes the creator of the game, but thing is, we are the consumers, the majority, so that means the generic kids, the people who play the game, thats how things work
but what you are not understanding is the gameplay part, its not about how it looks its about how you play, thats why people prefer amps such as stryde sniper, because its not a spam battle, only random kids like realwar, and it shouldnt be approved as pb2 is a game about skill and a map about that isnt about skill, even tho pb2 doesnt have a high skill cap
it makes the map less realistic, theres no way someone is making an actual building without any form of pixel art, but whats the purpose of a building if theres nothing inside of it? storage is a thing, add crates, thats a object, now thats a fine map idea, but thats about it? abandoned houses have destroyed stuff, things that are useful, have stuff, that makes no sense at all, you want empty spaces? not going to mention things such as spam
dude the lag part makes no sense at all, if a map is laggy nobody is playing it, but if its a good heavy map, people with good computers will use it no matter the fact some people dont, think of it as general gaming, theres many games that require really good computers, most people dont have that good computers, so... a specific group of people play them, and it works out

the reloading and ammo system in my map are only for gameplay aspects, for one to imagine how it would be with ammo, and well, yeah energy weapons r kinda fine

but then whats the problem with the game not being realistic? isnt that the purpose of video games? escaping reality?
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby lostmydollar » 9 November 2018, 20:23

player identifies himself with the main character of the game. that's the point of 99% of the games. you play batman - you imagine you are batman. you play need for speed - you imagine yourself as a driver of race car. this is pretty much the main reason why advanced game developers aim for photorealistic graphics, natural character's acting, realistic plot. even futuristic games such as halo or dead space make sense as if it was us in the future. those games is something that can turn into reality at some point of time under certain conditions. this is why it is so enjoyable to play - you feel that things make sense, that it can be you, that you can actually get into the car in real life and do a race or i don't know - kill aliens in some starship? you can do that irl, but in future. tell me, do people play GTA because they want to escape reality? no, they want to play it to do things they are not allowed to do irl and that's the point. you don't escape reality. you create second reality where you did a certain thing you didn't do in the first one. even the most crazy games have something that makes sense and can actually be seen in reality. these resemblances between reality and virtual reality exist in those games. "sense of reality" is the connection between you and your player. stronger connection=better immersion.

now about pb2, i can see myself as a Marine, because me and Marine are humans. i can wear armor and take an energy rifle. i can talk to proxy. things make sense so far. BUT then i enter stryde-sniper match in multiplayer and the "connection" i was talking about is getting lost faster than the speed of light. why? i cannot imagine a place such as this map in real life. it's wall placing is killing me. even if i was drunk and had to use a crane to build something like this irl i would simply not be able to do this. i also cannot imagine a bunch of people doing 360 flips and quickscoping me while being high in the sky after they self boost.

few words about camping/spamming. this is how firefights works in real life. no need to complain about it. it's natural. and it's okay. if the map is good, camping should not be as useful as some might imagine.

sorry if it's hard to understand what i'm trying to say. english...
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby phsc » 9 November 2018, 20:37

pb2 isnt that kind of game, it isnt a game where you feel immersion, you just play it

the most popular games are, hmmm lets see

fortnite, league of legends and idk, imagine some random fps

do people feel like they are a real character in fortnite, or league of legends, or the random fps? theres no real lore

multiplayer games arent immersive most of the time, and thats not the reason most people play videos, and i say that because i also look for that in most stuff i consume
deliciously exquisite pizza sauce just look at my profile picture, asuka langley, i was kinda like she is on evangelion when i was younger than id say 12, or huh, lets take another game, lately ive been playing everspace, not the biggest immersion in lore but the gameplay, deliciously exquisite pizza sauce, who wouldnt want to pilot a spaceship?

but no, its not even close to 99% of games, maybe single player games, but most people dont play them for that reason

but when i play the pb2 campaign i dont feel like marine, hes a human who shoots aliens, amazing, he doesnt have a personality, the enemies are bland, it has a bad history, what do you do when something doesnt have a bad history, you play it because the gameplay is fun, tahts what im saying
pb2 is not about immersion, pb2 is a fun game for kids, while they might enjoy being marine they can just rp, and kids are prob the kind of people who like things such as pixelart, mostly considering their sense of imagination

did you get what im saying? people dont play pb2 for that aspect, they play other games that are more realistic, with actual character development and more realistic aspects, pb2 is an arcade game after all, its not changing, youre not its public, thats how things go, supply and demand at its finest
but pb2 does have a few immersion aspects that are dead these days, not that kind of immersion but lets take generic military clans as example, GSA and EKAT, thats really a stupid thing, mass recruiting maps, but its fun and immersive into some extent, but its not the kind of thing people want in a competitive multiplayer game, its not about history or immersion yet about being the best
even tho the best in pb2 are probably failures imo

but do people want real life firefights? irl theres pain, death, trauma, do you want it in your game? thats immersion
it works like that but its not fun to hold your trigger at a dude in a flash game, its not fun for most people, and they decide what happens in this, people dont understand that the free market works like democracy after all, people do what they want, and this affects pb2 like that, if eric deliciously exquisite pizza sauce it up, people either will adapt or leave, simple as that
its natural, but it isnt fun, so it shouldnt be a thing, and yeah in good maps its not that good, but then, is a realistic map good gameplay balance wise?
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Hikarikaze » 9 November 2018, 20:49

lostmydollar wrote:tell me, do people play GTA because they want to escape reality? no, they want to play it to do things they are not allowed to do irl and that's the point. you don't escape reality. you create second reality where you did a certain thing you didn't do in the first one.

Creating a second reality is how you're supposed to escape the actual reality you're in. People probably don't intentionally try to "escape reality" when they play GTA, but they eventually end up doing it anyways

You can think of video games as alternate realities in that regard. They're just the work of someone else's imagination that you end up getting inside. You can choose to fill a role in that place if you want but it's purely optional

lostmydollar wrote:now about pb2, i can see myself as a Marine, because me and Marine are humans. i can wear armor and take an energy rifle. i can talk to proxy. things make sense so far. BUT then i enter stryde-sniper match in multiplayer and the "connection" i was talking about is getting lost faster than the speed of light. why? i cannot imagine a place such as this map in real life. it's wall placing is killing me. even if i was drunk and had to use a crane to build something like this irl i would simply not be able to do this. i also cannot imagine a bunch of people doing 360 flips and quickscoping me while being high in the sky after they self boost.

You can do those things in the campaign though. These things you're mentioning can be done in the other games you mentioned, like Halo for example. You can't have the same expectations across different parts of the game that work differently

If sniper maps ruin your sense of immersion, you can just choose to not enter one anymore. If you do end up joining one, then you voluntarily end up losing your immersion if you know it becomes an unrealistic mess. Multiplayer isn't supposed to be the same as campaign, where there's only one fixated plot to get into. There's millions of different maps with different objectives and purposes that give off different senses of immersion. Even in campaign, you can choose to do the outlandish things you see in multiplayer. The immersion you get just depends on what and how you're playing since map types have different "rules/play styles"
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby lostmydollar » 9 November 2018, 21:04

we can argue forever guys. it feels like we have different "operating systems" and we perceive things differently.

too bad i don't have 3-4 free days to make a map. this is pretty much the reason why i created this topic. i see the map i want to build. hoped someone could create it for me... *sigh*. well, worth a try
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby Mr jaks nes » 9 November 2018, 23:19

I began my project working on a map that looks like GTA or call of duty, but in the same time it got required things to be aproved, i will try to make it like pubg but that will takes days. i can think of a city with some guns on it like fortnite or pubg but they dont pass limit of approval, i will be on touch with admins or moderator to see if anything i did wrong, till i hopefully get it approved. thank you
Mr jaks nes
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby lostmydollar » 10 November 2018, 10:57

Mr jaks nes wrote:I began my project working on a map that looks like GTA or call of duty, but in the same time it got required things to be aproved, i will try to make it like pubg but that will takes days. i can think of a city with some guns on it like fortnite or pubg but they dont pass limit of approval, i will be on touch with admins or moderator to see if anything i did wrong, till i hopefully get it approved. thank you

good luck. post a reminder here when it's done
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby Mr jaks nes » 10 November 2018, 15:47

Im done, i need to pay attention to any bug or something comming from the map. i can also update it before it's approved. check it out, the ID is mr jaks nes-bg
Mr jaks nes
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby lostmydollar » 10 November 2018, 15:53

Mr jaks nes wrote:Im done, i need to pay attention to any bug or something comming from the map. i can also update it before it's approved. check it out, the ID is mr jaks nes-bg

welp, honestly i'm kinda disappointed. this is not what i expected to see from you. the ground is too flat which means endless spam. this has to be dealt with if you want to get your map approved. building are too primitive. just boxes that don't even look like something real.

-EDIT- i've created a small map to demonstrate what do i mean by "realistic map". it's open sourced and currently there is a part of the bulding and a multi-level elevator. i might add more stuff later. ID: lostmydollar-open_source
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby ditzy » 10 November 2018, 22:42

The map isn't without problems though. For one, combat is generally restricted to one lane (even with the buildings) and there isn't any room for strategy. Players don't have any alternative paths they can take to get to the top of a building, for example.

There's also some major map design flaws, shown below.
Red: Spray
Green: Repetition

While repetition might not be considered a 'flaw', there's no variation of wall placement, and the structure looks really bland. I think the map is quite ugly. There's also no cover afforded to the players, especially in the structures, another flaw.

Note: It's actually stated in the approval guide that approved maps are supposed to fit within the PB2 universe, and these realistic-like structures look really off compared to structures found in the campaign.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby lostmydollar » 10 November 2018, 23:16

ditzy wrote:The map isn't without problems though. For one, combat is generally restricted to one lane (even with the buildings) and there isn't any room for strategy. Players don't have any alternative paths they can take to get to the top of a building, for example.

There's also some major map design flaws, shown below.
Red: Spray
Green: Repetition

While repetition might not be considered a 'flaw', there's no variation of wall placement, and the structure looks really bland. I think the map is quite ugly. There's also no cover afforded to the players, especially in the structures, another flaw.

Note: It's actually stated in the approval guide that approved maps are supposed to fit within the PB2 universe, and these realistic-like structures look really off compared to structures found in the campaign.

it's just an open sourced map i made in 5 minutes with random unfinished stuff combined all together. just a "free to use stuff" kind of map. it certainly needs a lot of changes to be suitable for approval and have a player-friendly combat.

excuse me? in future people don't live in the buildings? lol
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby ditzy » 10 November 2018, 23:32

lostmydollar wrote:
ditzy wrote:[..]

it's just an open sourced map i made in 5 minutes with random unfinished stuff combined all together. just a "free to use stuff" kind of map. it certainly needs a lot of changes to be suitable for approval and have a player-friendly combat.

It still applies to most maps or structures that are "realistic". Mr Jaks Nes' map has similar problems.

To add onto my previous points, hallways/rooms are sprayable, and lack of a Z axis means players can't go around cover, making them cramped and uncomfortable to move around in.
lostmydollar wrote:
ditzy wrote:Note: It's actually stated in the approval guide that approved maps are supposed to fit within the PB2 universe, and these realistic-like structures look really off compared to structures found in the campaign.

excuse me? in future people don't live in the buildings? lol

I never said they didn't?
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy

Postby lostmydollar » 10 November 2018, 23:45

So uh @Ditzy, can you try making a map like this? You're skilled with level editor. Im pretty sure you can come up with something. Might be an interesting experiment?
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby ditzy » 10 November 2018, 23:54

I probably won't be able to make what you might have in mind, but I'd be willing to give it a try nonetheless.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy

Postby lostmydollar » 11 November 2018, 00:52

ditzy wrote:I probably won't be able to make what you might have in mind, but I'd be willing to give it a try nonetheless.

Im pretty sure you cannot make a bad map. Good luck.
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Next

Return to General Discussion