[Edit Request] scarra-contribute

Approved Map Edit Requests

[Edit Request] scarra-contribute

Postby Hikarikaze » 11 July 2018, 00:36

[A]
- I have read and understand fully the Required Reading for posting an Approved Map Edit Request: yes
- I have read and understand fully the Approved Map Edit Request rules: yes
- I have confirmed that this map is currently approved: yes http://prntscr.com/k4y6l1

[b]
- Map Name: .:~ {-Gargantaurus-} ~:.
- Map ID: scarra-contribute
- Link to Map Page: http://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m=s ... &id=869994
- Link to Map Demo: http://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=2&map=scarra-contribute

[C]
- Do you think this map need a minor edit, or a major overhaul?: Minor edit
- In a few words, why is an edit required?: High crossmap spamming potential due to a very open firing lane
- In detail, what exactly is wrong with the map, and what exactly needs to be edited?: Mid-lane needs to be changed up to prevent crossmap spamming from being highly effective.

The mid-lane, i.e the lane players spawn on, lacks meaningful cover and so it's easy to spam across this lane up to the other side's spawn points. This screenshot illustrates this well. The red line shows where shots end from where I'm standing and shooting. Rather than advancing up to the middle and being able to attack from there, it's easier to attack closer to spawn which is safer than heading towards the middle where players are very likely to rush through and use for their advances. This same problem exists in xenixus-temple as well, where players can idle by near their spawns and prevent advances at long range before they even really start. Both the CP-Assault Rifle and the Needle are good when it comes to accuracy. They're capable of managing to hit targets across long distances which reinforces the problem.

I've done minor touchups on this map which block the following sightlines from potential spamming: http://prntscr.com/k4ydon

I'm also aware that these changes also create potential campspots, so I've also included one grenade launcher on both teams to allow them to flush out campers easily in case they run out of regular grenades per player.

You can test the viability of this edit yourself: http://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m=h ... &id=896852

- Any other comments: The fact I'm even making edit requests for currently approved maps with issues like these show that nobody is checking these maps objectively and thus we let subpar approved maps get approved easily. This spamming issue was exactly why realwar was up for removal and was literally edited so there's no reason maps with realwar's issues should be approved as is, that too easily like this.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Re: [Edit Request] scarra-contribute

Postby DoomWrath » 12 July 2018, 19:36

Map has some background issues with glowing edges and such. I tested your map version and found it unplayable - simply infuriating to move around in as your character gets caught up on everything, movement is the opposite of fluid and fun.

I realise the original map has similar issues, but the addition of tight cover in your version exacerbates the movement problem. If you can find a way to make movement more fluid in the map, but remove the spamming cross-map, then I'll replace the original with your source.
DoomWrath
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Hikarikaze » 13 July 2018, 03:46

DoomWrath wrote:Map has some background issues with glowing edges and such. I tested your map version and found it unplayable - simply infuriating to move around in as your character gets caught up on everything, movement is the opposite of fluid and fun.

I realise the original map has similar issues, but the addition of tight cover in your version exacerbates the movement problem. If you can find a way to make movement more fluid in the map, but remove the spamming cross-map, then I'll replace the original with your source.

I didn't have trouble moving across the map in any of the lanes. In fact, movement was just as uninterrupted for me as it is in the original. The original isn't exactly very open to allow fully fluid movement and prevention of cross-map sightlines but this is the best compromise I've found so far that keeps the original identity of the map. Any other changes I had in mind would completely alter the map beyond minor touchups

It may be infuriating if you're trying to quickly rush across the map to which I say that trying to race across the map as fast as possible isn't exactly the point. It's not like this version is forcing you to jump through hoops just to get across lanes. There'll be a minor 1-2 second difference in how long it takes to get across but it's a very negligible difference. Not all maps need to be crossed in record speeds
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby scarra » 16 July 2018, 09:10

I agree with these changes and want to do this edit.
scarra
Recruit

Return to Approved Map Edit Requests