Invasion

Singleplayer Maps here.

Invasion

Postby thetoppestkek » 30 January 2018, 12:02

-insert propaganda promotional artwork that the creator was too lazy to make here-

Map name: Invasion
Map ID: There's multiple chapters listed below.
Map description: A full description of the series' plot can be found in the main page of every chapter.
Map Page Link: Links to all separate chapters are listed below.
Map Demo Link: Read above.
Brief Description: Singleplayer gameplay includes classic run n' gun, awww yeah. No stealth or any other shenanigans at all (though I do plan to add a few stealth chapters).

Chapters:

Q&A's: These are just a few commonly (I also asked myself some questions that I thought most people would be curious with) asked questions about the series.

Spoiler: Show More
Q: Why are the first few chapters extremely short?

A: I was hesitant to greatly expand on the map size due to a glitch known as the "logics freeze glitch".

------

Q: Why do the APSI soldiers in some chapters attack you?

A: They're either given direct orders or they are attacking you for trespassing.

------

Q: Who is in control of the APSI?

A: Currently in control are all 20 APSI Commanders, lead by a single APSI Premier.

-----

Q: How did you make the APSI soldiers?

A: I used a combination of nickname triggers and body-part modifying triggers. Some other units may also have modifications to their weapons or mobility via triggers.

-----

Q: How many chapters do you plan to make?

A: I plan to have around thirty to thirty-five chapters (without including the prologue and epilogue).

-----

Q: Why have you been "inactive" in mapmaking lately?

A: One word sums it all up, LDR. Because of my pitifully low LDR, I am unable to publish another map without my LDR dropping harder than my country's economy.

-----

Q: Who is the main character?

A: That's you! The player plays as a CS Lite.

-----

Q: Why is the main character always silent?

A: The main character is purposely an empty, lifeless husk in terms of personality so the player can fill the character with their thoughts and opinions. Giving a character dialogue or something similar would disallow the player from expressing their thoughts via main character or, at the very least, greatly suppress them.

-----

Q: Why does the character have 500 HP? Don't CS Lites usually have lower?

A: While it's true that CS Lites have relatively low HP, the player has 500 HP because that's the HP average for protagonists (excluding Noir Lime and Heavy Battlesuit Marine).

-----

Q: Why does the APSI have Correction Nine and CS weapons?

A: Plot-wise, they have CS weapons because of their friendly terms with the CS, which permits them to use most of their firepower. They have C9 weapons because those are mass-produced in some of their facilities. Gameplay-wise, I gave them C9 and CS weapons because those are arguably the most versatile weapons out of any faction, which allows me to build units upon units. I currently have around 17 i'm not even sure in my own numbers units, as demonstrated in the APSI Units! (Test) map.
Last edited by thetoppestkek on 1 April 2018, 19:39, edited 2 times in total.
thetoppestkek
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Re: Invasion

Postby Dandamage » 10 February 2018, 20:08

Really good stuff right there. Gotta love silent protagonists. Action is on point and makes sense to the story, the dialogue is way better than what you see out there most of the time. I think the thing I like the most is the difficulty consistent to the canon campaign, after all, being a Civil Security Lite should be pretty hard. Fived everything.
Dandamage
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby lostmydollar » 10 February 2018, 21:24

you should probably voice chat dialogues using new triggers

5*
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby thetoppestkek » 11 February 2018, 12:04

Dandamage wrote:Really good stuff right there. Gotta love silent protagonists. Action is on point and makes sense to the story, the dialogue is way better than what you see out there most of the time. I think the thing I like the most is the difficulty consistent to the canon campaign, after all, being a Civil Security Lite should be pretty hard. Fived everything.

Thank you for your feedback. As always, I'm open to suggestions and ideas for the series. Regarding the difficulty, I like to make things difficult but not extremely difficult (example: giving 5 soldiers 10000 HP with max mobility and fully upgraded heavy railguns), so I sort of started the chapters out with relatively easy action before increasing the difficulty in the form of the counter-APSI levels. I also want to make battles a bit more tactical to force the player into thinking and planning out their actions, which is why there's so many chokepoints in Chapter 4.

lostmydollar wrote:you should probably voice chat dialogues using new triggers

5*

In my opinion, not really. TTS sounds way too robotic to fit into a map like this. The thing with TTS is that it's very easy to use and manipulate, but doesn't convey emotion and sounds unnatural, unlike a normal voice. A normal voice conveys emotion successfully and sounds well.. uh, natural.

On another note, OP has been updated to include WIP Chapter 4. A promotional banner is in the works as well.
sometimes i dream of cheese
thetoppestkek
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby lostmydollar » 11 February 2018, 12:25

thetoppestkek wrote:In my opinion, not really. TTS sounds way too robotic to fit into a map like this. The thing with TTS is that it's very easy to use and manipulate, but doesn't convey emotion and sounds unnatural, unlike a normal voice. A normal voice conveys emotion successfully and sounds well.. uh, natural.

some voices sound too robotic, some don't. "uk english female" sounds fine imo. i don't think players prefer reading over listening
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby ChaoSquid » 12 February 2018, 11:02

There's no way in hell these are your first maps. They're damn GOOD. The only complaint I have is the architecture is pretty simple, and there seems to be a lack of cover when there's a lot of enemies, but there's quite a bit of strategy with target prioritization, and it is JUICY. The combo of a pistol, assault rifle and a lite railgun feels great, too, and crates as cover are pretty fun. Unlike what I did, you also made the medics not just a meatshield, which I should probably fix somehow.

Five stars.
Lazy innanet man who like, does stuff, sometimes.
My steam account's name is ChaoSquidingus.
ChaoSquid
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby thetoppestkek » 12 February 2018, 23:03

lostmydollar wrote:
thetoppestkek wrote:In my opinion, not really. TTS sounds way too robotic to fit into a map like this. The thing with TTS is that it's very easy to use and manipulate, but doesn't convey emotion and sounds unnatural, unlike a normal voice. A normal voice conveys emotion successfully and sounds well.. uh, natural.

some voices sound too robotic, some don't. "uk english female" sounds fine imo. i don't think players prefer reading over listening

I'll see what I can do about that. I've also noticed that TTS slows a bit down before starting up for some reason, which is why I'm holding a neutral stance towards the usage of it (other than the reasons stated above).

(By the way none of the APSI or CS soldiers are females for me to assign the UK English Female TTS voice to, and some other voices don't even function (I still want a damn Russian Male TTS voice model))

ChaoSquid wrote:There's no way in hell these are your first maps. They're damn GOOD. The only complaint I have is the architecture is pretty simple, and there seems to be a lack of cover when there's a lot of enemies, but there's quite a bit of strategy with target prioritization, and it is JUICY. The combo of a pistol, assault rifle and a lite railgun feels great, too, and crates as cover are pretty fun. Unlike what I did, you also made the medics not just a meatshield, which I should probably fix somehow.

Five stars.

Thank you for the support. In my opinion, I thought a pistol, assault rifle and light railgun would fit a light-assault type of unit like the CS-Lite, which is why I went for that loadout. I'll explain my thought process on lack of cover right below:

-Lack of cover forces the player to retreat and fortify in a different position instead of charging in, guns blazing
-The former forces the player to take out enemies with care if they do not want to be overwhelmed because of the lack of cover and danger of stray fire
-Enemy strength in numbers, forcing the player to fall back if they do not want to get overwhelmed if rushing in guns blazing
-Since enemy strength is in numbers, the player is forced to nullify them by garrisoning in tight corners and spots

To sum up, this method forces most players to be cautious and more tactical (which is my goal) while approaching enemy squads, or later on, larger bodies of enemy units as well as utilizing the terrain in the previous zone to their advantage.

Crates as cover are just meant to show how messy most militaristic organizations are with their supplies "Why do we have so many boxes in here, anyways?", but they do make pretty fun cover sometimes. And they can move too!

The APSI architecture is monotonous and bland in design to show that these guys mean business. They do not go for some goofy red *COUGH* falkoks *COUGH* or yellow *COUGH* phoenix (ugly) falkoks *COUGH* unlike some other factions and instead use the most serious and bland colour I could find.

Meatshield medics or meatshield units in general are never fun! You should really fix that.

Anyways Chapter 4 is at the brink of exiting WIP state, I just need to resolve an elevator issue (tomorrow)
thetoppestkek
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby ChaoSquid » 16 February 2018, 03:12

By the way, what's the "Logics freeze glitch"? I looked it up and I didn't find anything with the exact name. Is it the thing where some game functions like the time warp stop working properly?
Lazy innanet man who like, does stuff, sometimes.
My steam account's name is ChaoSquidingus.
ChaoSquid
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Green Eyed Demon » 16 February 2018, 03:56

I quite enjoy the series so far,great job
Green Eyed Demon
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby thetoppestkek » 18 February 2018, 11:48

ChaoSquid wrote:By the way, what's the "Logics freeze glitch"? I looked it up and I didn't find anything with the exact name. Is it the thing where some game functions like the time warp stop working properly?

Precisely. The glitch slightly speeds up the game, prevents the usage of timewarp, does not restart the level automatically after you die, and sometimes makes weapons float in position as if they were held even if their user is dead. It clearly causes a lot of problems and occurs when there are a lot of logics in the map.

On another note I cannot edit the main post for whatever reason. Now I can't modify it to remove Chapter 4's WIP tag and include other chapters.
thetoppestkek
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Dandamage » 8 March 2018, 15:09

Hmm. This update is actually very interesting. It's a short story but I like it already. Great for fans of well polished maps that don't care that much about length (though this has a lot of potential to be a long series).
Dandamage
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby thetoppestkek » 15 March 2018, 18:15

Hey! I'd just like to announce that a new chapter of this series is out:

http://plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m=theto ... &id=868724

I'm not dead and nor is this series. Also, sneak peek on the WIP banner:

thetoppestkek
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Return to Singleplayer Maps