[APPROVAL REQUEST] phsc-urbanwar

[APPROVAL REQUEST] phsc-urbanwar

Postby phsc » 9 July 2020, 23:10

[1]
- To the best of my knowledge, the following map fits all requirements to be approved:
YES
- The following map contains no unfair hidden features: YES
- The following map contains nothing against the PB2 Code of Conduct: YES
- I have read and understand fully the Required Reading for posting a Map Approval Request: YES
- I have read and understand fully the Map Approval Rules: YES

[2]
[color=#767676]- Map Name:
Urbanwar
- Map ID: phsc-urbanwar
- Link to Map Page: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/index.php? ... &id=925868
- Link to Map Demo: https://www.plazmaburst2.com/index.php? ... c-urbanwar

[3]
- Give a brief description of the map:

Ingame description: Urbanwar, originally by Raffine, edited by me.
Original description:
Set in the dark alleys of the most violent part of the city, this urban environment is home to numerous gang fights and brawls. With enemies coming from every direction, it will take more than just firepower to dominate!

A remake of raffine-urbanwar, trying to recreate the original idea with more modern techniques, the map is mostly focused on close-quarters combat, the movement is not constant and you have to constantly think of what you are going to do, camping is complicated since there are many wyas to get to the vast majority of positions of the map, the map is in general dark but not to the point it gives a disavantage to a player playing with shadows on (I changed because originally it did), as much as the map is no symmetrical, it is balanced since each side has a way to deal with the differences from the other side.
The map works well with 8 players but also with fewer players, in all the playable modes, DM, COOP and TDM, being tested in all of these, each player has 150 HP, the main weapons are the Marksman Rifle CS-RM and the Defibrillator, which are the only weapons that players can spawn with, there are additional weapons, such as the Needle, which has the same function as the CS-RM, but in a more defensive position for COOP, and takes slot 4 which makes you more limited and unable to carry another weapon, the Heavy Sniper Rifle CS-RQ, which is strong and can one shot people, but not always (mostly leg shots, and penetration shots), if you do miss with it, you are likely dead because 2-3 bullets from the CS-RM kills you, same for the Needle (more likely to be 2), the two CS-RQs are positioned at the rooftops of each team in COOP, which makes it balanced since the time to get to them is basically the same, and since the map is dark it is hard to see the sniper's laser (even with no shadows), which makes it complicated to rush, requiring teamwork to be effective and taking longer than it should, unless you correctly predict enemy positioning, other than that, in the middle building, at the ground level, you get a Shotgun CS-DAZ which gives you an advantage in close quarters combat, but no piercing capabilities, which makes it very good for flanking since the side and middle areas and very close-quarters and you can get kills easily, but rushing directly into people will often make you die for more accurate and higher single-shot damage weapons, the same applies to the Scavenger Shotgun you can get in the sewers, which deals more damage but is harder to use in such area, but close range deals less damage than the CS-DAZ, making both valid choices depending on your playstyle, there are many points where you can pierce walls giving an advantage to weapons that are not shotguns to balance many of the small areas present in the map, each player gets two grenades which can be used to kill campers or those in specific situations, the map has a total of 576 objects:
258 walls, 5 movables, 4 pushers, 201 backgrounds, 8 water areas, 8 players, 37 decorations, 24 guns, 22 lamps, 1 trigger, 1 timer and 7 engine marks.
The map uses both lamp decorations and lights to manipualte the light in a way I believe looks good, the use of pushers are in the bottom area, where you can go from the left side to the right using a small sewer pipe thing, which has two decorative objects which are made only using background objects, and you cannot go in the opposite way, but if you do go in you can self-boost out into the left side, into a pretty well protected position, most of the original camping spots have been tweaked and balanced.
- Why you think the map deserves to be approved: It is an interesting map, unique looks as far as I know, superior to the original raffine-urbanwar which was a very unbalanced map, it has an interesting way of playing which is quite quick and fast paced, but where you also have to think thanks to the many routes and dangerous positions because of the weapon correlation with the map design, mostly places where some specific weapons can pierce, there is little spam since most guns fire quite slowly, the map is also quite fair after testing it multiple times, rewarding those who are more skilled with their specific playstyle, but still being counterable by others, after testing it many times, most of the criticisms have been fixed (some parts where the movement was really awkward, the map being too dark), may I mention not a single person complained about balance or lag, some complained about weapon choices but just out of their pure opinions (wanting weapon spam in the map, which as I've tested in the past, does not work well), I tested this map with the following players, and I believe all believe this map fits the criteria for approval, that I am capable of remembering: zhen, artichokecat, Ditzy, Lonewolf56, Sgt Dwayne, darkstar 1, Z7XFire, mingo1 and Kiriakos Gr96, as well as many other people who tested the older version and others which happened to join but did not really give any feedback.
- Any other comments: Map image:
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Re: [APPROVAL REQUEST] phsc-urbanwar

Postby Sgt Dwayne » 9 July 2020, 23:55

bad map rated 1

better than raffine-urbanwar but u have to pay attention to the paths and platforms AND to the players at the same time so it requires more concentration to play
Sgt Dwayne
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby CreeperHunter55 » 10 July 2020, 00:38

Reduce the number of these distracting and annoying lamps on the top of the map, they are placed above nickname or character's model. Or make some lamps just inactive, so they will fit to bg's palette and won't contrast too much on it, if you don't wanna delete any objects on your map.

too many contrasting and distracting decorations on 400x800 pixels screen, this is terrible aesthetics.

This place is good and balanced in design.

It is not necessary to instruct so many decorations just for the sake of quantity or just for the sake of having them.
CreeperHunter55
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby phsc » 10 July 2020, 00:59

I already solved the lamp issue, I also made the middle tops slighty darker.
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Kiriakos Gr96 » 16 July 2020, 22:40

Map is now approved.
Kiriakos Gr96
Administrator

Return to Approval Request Archive