Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Give us your feedback about the Level Editor! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby Whyme » 20 February 2020, 23:56

I will keep this idea short but informative.

I would love to see a schematic saving and schematic browser for creations that others have done. Not in a sense of decorations or backgrounds. I more so refer to selecting a certain building you've done in your map or level editor. Something like a trigger combination for a new mechanic (Like: You made a slot machine trigger combination), or simply just a house you built and want to share it with others.

They could be uploaded/saved to a public and private browser for personal or public use. And if someone searches for "Slot machine" on the browser as example, it will show all the schematics of (potentially) working slot machines. Or maybe someone searches a big house design for their map? That browser could keep them covered.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Kind regards - Whyme

Whyme
Recruit
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 3 August 2013, 11:43
Location: Germany/Netherlands

Re: Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby Girl_Power » 21 February 2020, 04:04

What you've just suggested here is a near-impossible idea. There will have to be a huge update just for this one feature is Eric Gurt is way too busy to put in a feature like this. What I suggest instead is make a lighter, possible feature where you can copy items from a map editor from one tab and paste the copied items onto another map editor which is on another page.

Basically: Copy items from map editor > paste items onto another map editor

This will save a lot of time and effort as well as making the map editor tool much more effective and efficient. (Not sure if this idea was discussed on a topic already...)
"Stay home. Stay tuned. Stay safe."
User avatar
Girl_Power
Civil Security Heavy [300]
 
Posts: 343
Joined: 12 February 2017, 00:45
Location: Earth | https://prnt.sc/saxbvq

Re: Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby mrblake213 » 21 February 2020, 07:32

Or just... open source the map?
User avatar
mrblake213
Moderator
 
Posts: 855
Joined: 16 July 2013, 10:25
Location: Philippines

Re: Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby Girl_Power » 21 February 2020, 08:47

mrblake213 wrote:Or just... open source the map?


No, I mean when you want to transfer specific items from one map editor to another, not copying an entire map and editing it.
"Stay home. Stay tuned. Stay safe."
User avatar
Girl_Power
Civil Security Heavy [300]
 
Posts: 343
Joined: 12 February 2017, 00:45
Location: Earth | https://prnt.sc/saxbvq

Re: Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby jeje52 » 21 February 2020, 13:06

Girl_Power wrote:What I suggest instead is make a lighter, possible feature where you can copy items from a map editor from one tab and paste the copied items onto another map editor which is on another page.

Basically: Copy items from map editor > paste items onto another map editor

You can already copy specific things from one map to another:
1. Copy objects
2. Press "Open Map" and open the map you want to paste to
3. Paste objects
User avatar
jeje52
Civil Security Lite [100]
 
Posts: 113
Joined: 13 April 2018, 19:52

Re: Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby Whyme » 21 February 2020, 13:33

I get what you mean and I'm using the same approach occasionally. If it's too much of a hassle to add, this idea is redundant pretty much immediately. I was more so curious since we now have custom decorations, we could also add custom schematics, too. For everyone to use, or just for yourself.

Whyme
Recruit
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 3 August 2013, 11:43
Location: Germany/Netherlands

Re: Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby jeje52 » 21 February 2020, 15:36

Whyme wrote:I get what you mean and I'm using the same approach occasionally. If it's too much of a hassle to add, this idea is redundant pretty much immediately. I was more so curious since we now have custom decorations, we could also add custom schematics, too. For everyone to use, or just for yourself.

I have a feeling it might be possible with some changes to the game and level editor. The objects could be stored in a separate json file, that can then be added to the map's json. Of course, a way to save schematics and view them would also be necessary. I don't know much about jsons, websites or saving stuff online, but I don't see how it wouldn't be possible either. It would be almost like the custom decorations, except you upload from your map.

It would be a neat addition, as you could put all your bits and bobs in there for more people to see and use. It would also give more recognition to the programmers, instead of just people that know level design and decorating. You could, of course also share level design and decoration.
User avatar
jeje52
Civil Security Lite [100]
 
Posts: 113
Joined: 13 April 2018, 19:52

Re: Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby Girl_Power » 21 February 2020, 23:24

jeje52 wrote:
Girl_Power wrote:What I suggest instead is make a lighter, possible feature where you can copy items from a map editor from one tab and paste the copied items onto another map editor which is on another page.

Basically: Copy items from map editor > paste items onto another map editor

You can already copy specific things from one map to another:
1. Copy objects
2. Press "Open Map" and open the map you want to paste to
3. Paste objects


Is it really that hard to understand what I'm talking about? Jeje52 you have the idea that I have in mind but it doesn't work for me. When I select the object I want to copy and then paste it onto another map, it simply doesn't let me.
"Stay home. Stay tuned. Stay safe."
User avatar
Girl_Power
Civil Security Heavy [300]
 
Posts: 343
Joined: 12 February 2017, 00:45
Location: Earth | https://prnt.sc/saxbvq

Re: Schematic browser/Schematic saving

Postby jeje52 » 22 February 2020, 11:41

Girl_Power wrote:
jeje52 wrote:
Girl_Power wrote:What I suggest instead is make a lighter, possible feature where you can copy items from a map editor from one tab and paste the copied items onto another map editor which is on another page.

Basically: Copy items from map editor > paste items onto another map editor

You can already copy specific things from one map to another:
1. Copy objects
2. Press "Open Map" and open the map you want to paste to
3. Paste objects


Is it really that hard to understand what I'm talking about? Jeje52 you have the idea that I have in mind but it doesn't work for me. When I select the object I want to copy and then paste it onto another map, it simply doesn't let me.

It works when I do it.
User avatar
jeje52
Civil Security Lite [100]
 
Posts: 113
Joined: 13 April 2018, 19:52


Return to Level Editor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users