Dialogue Changes

Give us your feedback about the Level Editor! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Do you agree?

Yes, dialogue would be better if these changes were made.
34%
Yes, dialogue would be better if these changes were made.
34%
No, I don't have a problem with it.
6%
No, I don't have a problem with it.
6%
Maybe. It's not that big of a problem, but it could still help.
9%
Maybe. It's not that big of a problem, but it could still help.
9%

Total votes : 32

Dialogue Changes

Postby Starwars7 » 30 June 2017, 15:50

One thing that really annoys me about the level editor is that you can't use the apostrophe ( the symbol ' ), making it difficult to get the right dialogue. I know most people probably don't care at all, but I write, so my dialogue has to be grammatically correct unless I am feeling too lazy.

Another thing that annoys me is that when your string of dialogue is too long, it is cut off instead of being moved down a line like when you write a post in the forum. I realize you can just have a trigger make two dialogue things at once to fix that, but you need the right length to make it look better, and not just jumping halfway to the other side of the screen. Also, what if the Civil Security or the Battlesuit AI is saying it? Then, you can't make two dialogue functions, because your dialogue will be interrupted by "Battlesuit AI:".
Ever had one of those days where everyone you meet in ranked likes you?

Yeah, me neither.

Starwars7
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Re: Dialogue Changes

Postby GiraRay » 5 August 2017, 19:31

I absolutely agree. I hate that you cannot use apostrophes and other symbols which make your dialogue look better.

I had an idea while reading this:
In the dialogue trigger option, you can pick another option for parameter 'B'. This option will open a popup box (like the HEX color option), which would allow you to create a text like the "Battlesuit AI" texts and might also (if possible) have the use of variables (to make custom characters).

In other words, you can configure who is presenting the dialogue, what color their names will be and what color the text itself will be. FOR EXAMPLE:
Default dialogue: "Battlesuit AI: Hello world!"
Configured dialogue: "Stranger: Hello world!"

This would grant you a better and more effective storytelling method.
http://plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m=giraray-riddle1&id=826345
GiraRay
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby lrv » 7 August 2017, 17:04

I completly Agree, it is really annoying having wrong grammer, becasue aposthrophes are missing.
Note: If you took that Battlesuit Ai thingy out of my campaign the reason is that that Usurpation Soldiers have internal communicators with speech disorters, so enemies don't understand what they are saying. CS doesn't have those disorters. But it is still annoying.
lrv
Falkok [250]

Postby Starwars7 » 13 August 2017, 03:58

GiraRay wrote:I absolutely agree. I hate that you cannot use apostrophes and other symbols which make your dialogue look better.

I had an idea while reading this:
In the dialogue trigger option, you can pick another option for parameter 'B'. This option will open a popup box (like the HEX color option), which would allow you to create a text like the "Battlesuit AI" texts and might also (if possible) have the use of variables (to make custom characters).

In other words, you can configure who is presenting the dialogue, what color their names will be and what color the text itself will be. FOR EXAMPLE:
Default dialogue: "Battlesuit AI: Hello world!"
Configured dialogue: "Stranger: Hello world!"

This would grant you a better and more effective storytelling method.

Yeah. Default text options look so much better due to the two-color thing. Meanwhile, this is what I have to make do with:

Spoiler: Show More
CS-Beast: After I infiltrate the base, you will help me destroy it. Wheels up in 10. (Taken from Invasion 8: The Briefing" in the original series.)

Not to mention, there's only so many colors you can actually see against PB2 backgrounds, so the two-color dialogue would make it easier to see that there is, in fact, any dialogue at all. For example, which jumps out at you more:

Starwars7: This...

Starwars7: Or this?

Maybe also add font size to a certain extent, to indicate whispering. You can't tell the difference between regular dialogue and whispering, otherwise.

You can almost see the volume, can't you?

There would need to be limits, though. This is why:

Starwars7: Can you see this?
Starwars7: What about this?
Starwars7: This?
Starwars7: How about this one?
Starwars7: If you can't see this, you need glasses.

Yeah, me neither.

Starwars7
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Hikarikaze » 30 September 2017, 22:39

Apostrophes don't affect grammar unless you mess up word order. Here, not having an apostrophe isn't an issue of grammar but an issue of the tone in dialogue. It's next to impossible to establish more human dialogue because contractions can't be made to mimic a more general, conversational, and informal mode of speech. Bad for establishing characters that aren't robots unless you have one that talks in a robotic fashion

I find it strange how the old level editor allowed apostrophes but the new one doesn't.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby tehswordninja » 8 October 2017, 16:06

There should definitely be support for more symbols. It'd be nice if it could even support messed up text or different fonts.
who needs a PB2.5 release date, anyways?
tehswordninja
Proxy [700]

Postby Starwars7 » 18 October 2017, 23:13

Hikarikaze wrote:Apostrophes don't affect grammar unless you mess up word order. Here, not having an apostrophe isn't an issue of grammar but an issue of the tone in dialogue.

I meant how it's grammatically correct to say "don't", but incorrect to say "dont."

Anyway, my characters in my terrible singleplayer maps talk like, as you said, robots, and that's why dialogue in PB2 is hard.

tehswordninja wrote:There should definitely be support for more symbols. It'd be nice if it could even support messed up text or different fonts.

I'd love that. You could use different fonts for character dialogue, if you somehow ran out of good hex color codes.

Yeah, me neither.

Starwars7
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Return to Level Editor