Regarding the "Competitive" Multiplayer side...

Give us your feedback about PB2.5! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Re: Regarding the "Competitive" Multiplayer side...

Postby phsc » 4 January 2019, 02:09

well, so i will just repost what i posted on teh stryde-sniper thread

phsc wrote:-the recommend for approval feature being the main feature if a map is approved or not, and we unnapprove all pb2 maps, BUT ALSO ADD A OPITION FOR RECOMMEND FOR UNNAPROVAL, so if a map has been approved but a lot of people want it unnaproved, it is, staff members just go in an verify the ratings and if the maps breaks any major rules such as being next level abusive, having map making issues such as walls not overlapping, or if it has unfair advatanges
this will make so that, if more people hate stryde snipre than enjoy it, well, goodbye, also add a small number as a minimal, lets say idk 5% of pb2s daily population wants a map approved, approved it is, or some quite minor value

even then this system can be abused, lets say paulstin adds a second rule to dark clan which is RECOMMEND STRYDE-SNIPER for approval, we are doomed

or, we can go full ancap pb2 edition
-all maps count towards kills, BUT private maps, so if theres an abusive god in a map killing everyone, everybody can just kick him out of the map, killing the generic idea of public modern custom maps making so they always have to be private, but maybe add the option to give gamemaster or not in private maps, and show it in pb2s lobby

any problem with any systems feedback is constructive always no matter how much ad hominem you use, just try to have a point n not pure logical fallacies like some ppl in this community do

while i think variety is great and creativity is the key to everything, there are a few problems with this

literally, a map with 7 being unbalanced
4 ppl vs 3 in a ranked match, thats a big deal, in team-oriented competitive games you cant leave or you most of the time get some kind of penalty or the game doesnt count or it goes free to leave
but i guess in pb2 one could easily just rejoin and take the slot, problem is that the person would be dead

and what if youre an amazing payload captain or smth, but you suck at killing people, how would you reach the top 100
again theres anotehr suggestion i did in the stryde-sniper post of mine, which is to add literally top everything on the leaderboards of pb2, instead of best player being based only on pp, add player with most kills, highest kd, some formula for kd kill reacetion, highest payload kd, most payload wins, etc

well, in pb2 thats quite a terrible idea cuz of the syncing, imagine having like a capture the flag mode, where someone picked the flag n died somewhere, but it isnt synced
we do have vars but im not sure about how reliable they are and how much lag they generate

but i think that concept to competitive pb2 is a great deal

what if we also maybe had even competitive modes for other things, such as maybe a weekly or monthly fanart contest, or maybe a general suggestions to make the game better context, and like have ranking for that, imagine that in pb2.5, tahts the kind of thing that generates a kinda great n effective competitive enviroment

i mean isnt that what moves the market in capitalism? competition, now imagine that for pb2 fanart, or for whos the best map maker, not based on blind rates, yet maybe on a system that consider other great map makers, both people with 1 map sucesses, high ldr, maybe people with many maps favourited for approval(read my stryde-sniper post etc)
imagine a reputation system that verifies the IP and only considers "active" players(read the stryde-sniper post again where i talk about how ppl who dont play or rly new accs shouldnt be considered as someone can just use a VPN)

deliciously exquisite pizza sauce, this idea would make both the map makers and the competitive players have fun

maybe not the highly conservative players of pb2 who defend the "great old era" (which most of the ppl didnt play and if they did they were kids n theyre just having nostalgia or smth thats how that goes in jungian psychology we just call that Si)

great idea.
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby IceRGodZ » 4 January 2019, 02:50

Pointless.

Stryde sniper will always outshine any map thrown at it. Simplicity, nostalgia and popularity will always beat more complex ideas. We have plenty of competitive maps, skill gap is WAY TO BIG with lee06400 playing in pb2 (XD), and we want quick ppp and leave the fray. All we WILL PLAY IN PB2.5 is stryde sniper, just with Jet Packs, and better selfboost and 2.5D.

Map makers having motivation to make better maps for approval? laughable. you can see what Eric approved recently himself, two times in a row. Hint: Jason Eden

NAH. Other ways to reach top rank? You mean with sniper maps exploding pb2.5 servers as anticipated? It seems like a great gift.

OH and game mode DM will explode because.. we want quick kills and ppp. not waste time to work together. which was possible to work together as a team and have fun before realwar evaporated l0l.

IceRGodZ
Recruit

Postby Agent Delta » 4 January 2019, 10:29

IceRGodZ wrote:Pointless.

Stryde sniper will always outshine any map thrown at it. Simplicity, nostalgia and popularity will always beat more complex ideas. We have plenty of competitive maps, skill gap is WAY TO BIG with lee06400 playing in pb2 (XD), and we want quick ppp and leave the fray. All we WILL PLAY IN PB2.5 is stryde sniper, just with Jet Packs, and better selfboost and 2.5D.

Map makers having motivation to make better maps for approval? laughable. you can see what Eric approved recently himself, two times in a row. Hint: Jason Eden

NAH. Other ways to reach top rank? You mean with sniper maps exploding pb2.5 servers as anticipated? It seems like a great gift.

OH and game mode DM will explode because.. we want quick kills and ppp. not waste time to work together. which was possible to work together as a team and have fun before realwar evaporated l0l.
This say alot about the community.
Saving Plazma Burst one step at a time.
Agent Delta
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby ditzy » 5 January 2019, 23:52

phsc wrote:while i think variety is great and creativity is the key to everything, there are a few problems with this

literally, a map with 7 being unbalanced
4 ppl vs 3 in a ranked match, thats a big deal, in team-oriented competitive games you cant leave or you most of the time get some kind of penalty or the game doesnt count or it goes free to leave
but i guess in pb2 one could easily just rejoin and take the slot, problem is that the person would be dead

Eric could create custom game modes and rules for these maps. I remember back when we had the option to make our maps "CTF" and such.

phsc wrote:and what if youre an amazing payload captain or smth, but you suck at killing people, how would you reach the top 100
again theres anotehr suggestion i did in the stryde-sniper post of mine, which is to add literally top everything on the leaderboards of pb2, instead of best player being based only on pp, add player with most kills, highest kd, some formula for kd kill reacetion, highest payload kd, most payload wins, etc

You could always give ppp to players for performing actions that benefit their team. For example, you can award players with ppp for capturing a flag.

On the topic of ppp, I think we can make some improvements to the pp system as well. Instead of adding to a player's pp pool every day, their pp should be the average of ppp gained from the last 20ish or so games. This way, climbing up the leaderboard is less of a grind and more reflects the player's actual skill.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby Hikarikaze » 6 January 2019, 01:33

Problem with PB2's ranked/unranked mode is that every facet of it isn't designed to be competitive. Even the fundamental parts like ranks and matchmaking are anything but competitive. The latter is literally just clicking on an open, available match and just jumping in, with no way to separate players of skill levels apart from other so really low skilled players don't wind up in the same match as highly skilled players and create an imbalance. Ideally, a proper competitive game would make ranks and follow some type of ELO (I know it's not an acronym; I just like writing it this way) based system. Problem is, it wouldn't work well in a game with a low population like this, and the populations in higher tiers get lower and lower as you progress up, akin to a normalized curve. Imagine being among the 1% top players in a game with a low population. Being paired with lower skilled players would be inevitable at some point.

phsc wrote:what if we also maybe had even competitive modes for other things, such as maybe a weekly or monthly fanart contest, or maybe a general suggestions to make the game better context, and like have ranking for that, imagine that in pb2.5, tahts the kind of thing that generates a kinda great n effective competitive enviroment

Well, we did have this in the past before: viewtopic.php?f=128&t=14828

I always wanted the event to come back, but it died out because there wasn't anyone left to run the contest and take part in it. If there were people willing to take the helm again and also take part, a proper map-making competition could be in place again. Competition would definitely allow for mapmakers to constantly try to outdo each other, which would give players more and better maps to play on.

Few art contests did exist in the past too; they still exist in the Events section amongst the earliest topics created there.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby MLG COOL DOMINIK » 6 January 2019, 22:30

Theres a little problem with the ppp system:
A mapmaker would hide a secret thing that gives alot of ppp for free or just directly giving it when you join.
Nobody actually plays this game now, do they?
MLG COOL DOMINIK
Civil Security Heavy [300]

Return to Feedback and Insights