Protected Respawns

Give us your feedback about the website! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Protected Respawns

Postby BlvxkByrd » 2 May 2023, 19:32

Many games, shooters especially, have protected spawns to prevent spawn killing. For instance, a common feature we could implement would be upon respawning, the player is granted a small amount of time (>1second) with immunity. The only downside though with this is the potential for exploitation so allow me to propose my second idea while you leave this one for consideration.

I'm taking these ideas directly from Battlefield 4:

1.) So first of all, if your squadmate is in combat (taking fire or heavy nearby explosions) the game will deny you the spawn point for your protection. Maybe we could create something where if the game detects explosions or strong enemy presence, it will select another spawn point for you.

2.) In rare instances I've spawned on a squadmate who was immediately gunned down the second I spawn on them. The game will simply redirect you back to the respawn screen and pretend the incident didn't happen. Perhaps we could do something similar.

I think a respawn protection system would be most useful in ranked matches. These are not matches about skill but rather luck and the proof is in the fact I can walk away from a ranked match something like 25 kills and 50 deaths but still have gained SP. Part of this is because in these matches, particularly ones with 5+ players, players stop focusing on individuals and are more concerned with spamming shots and grenades. Why? It's more effective, I've asked around and more players are guilty of this than you'd think.
I have toppled clans. I have slain leaders. I have exiled legends.
BlvxkByrd
Cyber Grub [25]

Re: Protected Respawns

Postby alj99 » 3 May 2023, 04:08

Making the spawner invincible is easy but that just deflects the misfortune to the unlucky player only.

But there's a limit to having a robust respawn system. There's 0 good place to spawn on a map like strip-snip/stwyde-snipuwu. The entire map is too small making it dense.
Hello.
alj99
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Re: Protected Respawns

Postby Pb2 D » 3 May 2023, 15:47

BlvxkByrd wrote:Many games, shooters especially, have protected spawns to prevent spawn killing. For instance, a common feature we could implement would be upon respawning, the player is granted a small amount of time (>1second) with immunity. The only downside though with this is the potential for exploitation so allow me to propose my second idea while you leave this one for consideration.

I'm taking these ideas directly from Battlefield 4:

1.) So first of all, if your squadmate is in combat (taking fire or heavy nearby explosions) the game will deny you the spawn point for your protection. Maybe we could create something where if the game detects explosions or strong enemy presence, it will select another spawn point for you.

2.) In rare instances I've spawned on a squadmate who was immediately gunned down the second I spawn on them. The game will simply redirect you back to the respawn screen and pretend the incident didn't happen. Perhaps we could do something similar.

I think a respawn protection system would be most useful in ranked matches. These are not matches about skill but rather luck and the proof is in the fact I can walk away from a ranked match something like 25 kills and 50 deaths but still have gained SP. Part of this is because in these matches, particularly ones with 5+ players, players stop focusing on individuals and are more concerned with spamming shots and grenades. Why? It's more effective, I've asked around and more players are guilty of this than you'd think.

Terrible idea tbh.
We don't need to be giving respawned players advantages, you realise how bad an invincibility would work in something like new netcode?
The player who respawns would always be at an advantage.
What we need is a smart respawn system that puts you behind cover or outside of enemy's vision.

Pb2 D
Recruit

Return to Website / PB2 Game