Rant/Ideas For PB2 Multiplayer And Level Editing

Give us your feedback about the website! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Rant/Ideas For PB2 Multiplayer And Level Editing

Postby Nyove » 1 January 2017, 07:24

Hey! Nyove here! I apologize for any grammatical errors made while making this post. I would like to point out a problem/bug faced while playing PB2.

The screen of one player might not be the same as the screen of another player playing the same match as the former player.

Example : Player A creates a new match with a map involving closed doors by default. Player A managed to open the doors. After some time, Player B enters the game. In Player A's screen, the doors are opened (Player A opens them) while in Player B's screen, the doors are closed (Doors are closed by default)

Example 2 : With games involving AI enemies, some enemies may seem dead for some players while the same enemies might be alive for others. This is especially notable on maps like Nyove-zombie (sorry for the unintentional promotion).

This problem/bug does not limit to doors or AI enemies. This problem can happen on things like the zoom of the game and series of triggers. It poses a major problem to me as I like making maps with modified gameplay like fanfan1-anime. It may took me hours or even days to think and make the triggers work and test it on SP, and then results me in deleting the map due to complications of MP. An example would be Nyove-robot (Sorry once again for the unintentional promotion)(I deleted majority of the maps that have these problems)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have some trigger ideas in regards to map making.

- Action Type : When a player says text 'A', activate trigger 'B'
- Parameter A : (The text you want to detect)
- Parameter B : (The trigger you want to activate)

Uses I can think of : Passwords, Guess the art.

- Action Type : Disable unit collision for movable 'A'
- Parameter A : (The movable you want to disable unit collision for)
- Parameter B : (not used)
- Action Type : Enable unit collision for movable 'A'
- Parameter A : (The movable you want to enable unit collision for)
- Parameter B : (not used)

Uses I can think of : Movable backgrounds, Pixel arts, Trolls, Acids (A very versatile tool)
(I am aware of the 'fake doors' method, but the edges are extremely buggy especially for people with Physics on 'High')

-Action Type : Display particle 'A' on region 'B'
-Parameter A : (Particle you want to display. It can be blood, gun shots, collision particles)
-Parameter B : (The region you want your particle to appear)

Uses I can think of : Visual appear, signs, guidelines

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all for my rants and ideas. Feel free to leave constructive criticism/remarks and also leave your trigger ideas and problems faced while playing PB2. I hope these things can be considered and implemented in PB2 or PB2.5. Thanks for reading my post!

:D
Nyove

Re: Rant/Ideas For PB2 Multiplayer And Level Editing

Postby tehswordninja » 1 January 2017, 08:38

The whole sync issue will never be fixed due to how PB2's multiplayer is client side instead of server side. This will not be the case in PB2.5 Eric has said.

More trigger options are always good, and I do like your suggestions, just don't expect any updates for PB2, as Eric is solely focused on PB2.5
tehswordninja
Proxy [700]

Re: Rant/Ideas For PB2 Multiplayer And Level Editing

Postby Dariy » 1 January 2017, 17:43

Well yes it's a serious issue with the game that limits map making a lot.
On my map Dariy-fort I made an effort to make system where you can reset things to their original state.
I didn't include everything as it would take a lot of time. This turns out to be somewhat helpful, but since many players
don't recognize what they are supposed to do (even though it's pretty obvious) and it has to be done almost every time a new player joins which makes it a real nuissance. I found that there is no effective way of making a system like this work. Perhaps using a spawn system rather then a button one could help, but there still are problems that you can't solve either because there is no tool for it or due to the issue tehswordninja mentioned.
Dariy
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Location: ѕιттιηg ση α яαιηвσω ωιтн α ѕтяιηg αяσυη∂ му ƒιηgєя

Return to Website / PB2 Game