Shield Grenades!

Give us your feedback about the website! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Shield Grenades!

Postby the real slayer » 17 January 2016, 18:06

Shield grenades always pissed me off lolz! They do reflect opponent's bullets but everyone can get in the shield thing and kill you! Basically my idea is simple! One shouldn't be able to enter his opponent's shield!

What do you think of this? :D

the real slayer

Re: Shield Grenades!

Postby Dark Reaver » 17 January 2016, 18:13

I believe they're annoying and sometimes even useless but I don't like your idea.

I think it'd be a lot cooler to be able to control when the shield 'activates'. For example, when you drop it you could activate it manually by pressing the same key once more.
That long delay just s*cks

Imagine how OP they were in SP maps when you couldn't enter their shields.
Offical Signature of Dark Reaver.
Dark Reaver
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby the real slayer » 17 January 2016, 18:18

I still don't think we shouldn't be able to go through opponent's shields! Since we do they are kinda useless! This would give more meaning to them! Maybe in singplayer protagonist could go through enemies shields...

the real slayer

Postby guest-electric fish » 17 January 2016, 18:23

sorry slayer but i dislike this idea of yours.shield grenades are helpful in the game -2
Spoiler: Show More
now the show is over ladies and gentlemen !!!! thanks for being here tonight and i really appriciette your presence so once again thank you very much and have an good night
guest-electric fish
Falkok [250]

Postby Hikarikaze » 17 January 2016, 18:33

I disagree with this. The fragility and the ability to enter a shield bubble makes the grenade balanced as is. It's not supposed to be a bullet sponge, just a life-saver that'll keep you alive for another second or two. If you let someone in your shield, that's basically your doing and it allows you to take someone else's shield for your own benefit. Imagine you're getting pinned down by enemy fire and you need a shield, which you don't have. The nearest one is an abandoned shield but you can't enter it. You can't get the protection you need that way and you get torn down.

The protection offers an advantage while the one-way shielding is a flaw. No need to make it more powerful than it already is.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby the real slayer » 17 January 2016, 18:47

What's the point of surviving one more second lol! As for the example you gave me, the other guy would go in the grenade too and kill you lolz!

the real slayer

Postby Hikarikaze » 17 January 2016, 18:48

the real slayer wrote:What's the point of surviving one more second lol! As for the example you gave me, the other guy would go in the grenade too and kill you lolz!

One second can make a huge difference between dying and killing.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Dark Reaver » 17 January 2016, 18:54

Also, let's think realistically: how in the hell would a shield nade know if either an enemy or ally wants to get inside?

A piece of steel can't hear, see, smell and such.
I don't want to be seen as aggressive / offensive, but such things fit less to PB2 than to a fantasy book.
Dark Reaver

Postby the real slayer » 17 January 2016, 20:12

Well, Idc but the shield nades need to be changed immediately. BTW dude Eric would modify it as enemies can't enter...Coding possibilities...

the real slayer

Postby Dark Reaver » 17 January 2016, 20:48

Did you read my reply?
If yes, then do it again.

By realistically I meant in the REAL world so stop talking some BS about programming.
Would the shield nade know if it's either an Usurper or a CS Soldier who wants to enter if for example you make an SP map?

I don't want to participate in a useless flame war..
Dark Reaver

Postby KARL SERG » 17 January 2016, 21:15

Hikarikaze wrote:I disagree with this. The fragility and the ability to enter a shield bubble makes the grenade balanced as is. It's not supposed to be a bullet sponge, just a life-saver that'll keep you alive for another second or two. If you let someone in your shield, that's basically your doing and it allows you to take someone else's shield for your own benefit. Imagine you're getting pinned down by enemy fire and you need a shield, which you don't have. The nearest one is an abandoned shield but you can't enter it. You can't get the protection you need that way and you get torn down.

The protection offers an advantage while the one-way shielding is a flaw. No need to make it more powerful than it already is.

The Example with the Shield is bad, since it's another Story (it's made of Metal and can be picked up, whereas the Energy Shield is made of Energy and can't be picked up... yet).

I agree with this Slayer's Idea. It would be OP indeed, but it would be a lot more Logical (although it could make Sense the way it is ATM as well). It should be like this, though: If one gets out of the Shield, he/she can't get back in. Those Extra Seconds matter indeed, but one can't always be fully aware of his/her Environment while fighting a fast-paced Battle, so it would be great to let the Shield take care of that.

I like your Idea of Conventional Shield, though. Maybe PB2,5 will allow the People to grab Things with F (this would include Weapons, since one should pick them up him/herself just as he/she drops it) along with the Ability to carry the Telenade around.
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Postby mingo1 » 17 January 2016, 21:35

I think this would make them too powerful. As aforementioned by @Hik's post, yeah, it would turn into a balance issue.

I see it being cool in some modes, and having it as a trigger option as a part of the mapmaker's wishes wouldn't be too bad, but as default I definitely see it as OP.

With respect, insight, and choice,

...those are my thoughts.
mingo1
Administrator

Postby assasinguy » 17 January 2016, 23:30

Your idea allows people to create their own camping spots wherever they want, so I strongly disagree. The fact that you can enter a shield bubble is what makes them fair in-game.
assasinguy
assasinguy
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Silent Aurora » 17 January 2016, 23:33

Pretty much AG and Hika summed up why Im against this idea. The nades are just there to asisst you and stop gaining damage for some time.
Silent Aurora
Silent Aurora
Heavy Marine [900]

Postby the real slayer » 18 January 2016, 13:57

Dark Reaver wrote:Did you read my reply?
If yes, then do it again.

By realistically I meant in the REAL world so stop talking some BS about programming.
Would the shield nade know if it's either an Usurper or a CS Soldier who wants to enter if for example you make an SP map?

I don't want to participate in a useless flame war..

Why when you shoot a teammate your bullets don't harm him...PB2 ain't real world m8...Btw this ain't no flamewar lol! Chill!

Ok so I thought a little more about this! Maybe, the shield could have certain phases! When it opens people wouldn't be able to go in it but maybe 2 or 3 of the bullets the enemy shoots could penetrate the shield at that stage! At their second phase people would be able to enter them but bullets wouldn't be able to penetrate the shield at all! At the third stage the shield vanishes!

I don't really know how much each stage would last but approximately both together would last as long the shield grenade does now, without being shot at! If the shield was shot it could disappear a bit quicker I suppose (maybe stage 2 would occur quicker and then the nade would vanish a bit quicker.)
I, at least, don't consider this too OP!

the real slayer

Postby NNC » 18 January 2016, 16:51

It's fine as it is, no need to over-complicate it with such ^ ideas.
~~~~
NNC
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby the real slayer » 18 January 2016, 16:53

It's useless if you ask me but whatever!

the real slayer

Postby assasinguy » 18 January 2016, 19:51

slayer's idea for a three-stage shield grenade is interesting, and not as OP as his original idea, but try to keep things simple. This is an idea, the simpler it is, the more likely it is to get picked up by Eric Gurt, right? Then if he feels it's necessary he'll complicate it himself or ask for further input. For now, keep it simple, I'd say shield grenades are fine the way they are, they perform their function and have a weakness which makes them fair. Therefore I disagree with your ideas.
assasinguy
assasinguy
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Hikarikaze » 18 January 2016, 20:14

KARL SERG wrote:I agree with this Slayer's Idea. It would be OP indeed, but it would be a lot more Logical (although it could make Sense the way it is ATM as well).

This is basically the problem. People always want to make this game the most realistic game in the entire world but don't understand that it's a science fiction game where realism is meant to be twisted to make things interesting (not pointing fingers at you or anyone else here, but this is what I've noticed).

There's no need to make things complex for the sake of realism or 'logic', because if the game was more logical/realistic than it is right now, every bullet firing gun would be the next M4A1 and would break the balance this game has.

Also, the shield is a shield, not a blockade or a barrier. Science fiction can easily say that people can simply phase through the shield but stop bullets and just leave it at that.

the real slayer wrote:It's useless if you ask me but whatever!

Useless for you but not for everyone else. Your 3-stage shield idea sounds way too complex (and rather unnecessary). The grenade is balanced as is and virtually no one else has had a problem with the fact you can just enter a shield and take over. Just because only you seem to have a problem with it doesn't warrant an immediate change to it. As for realism, someone explain to me why bullets travel in a linear direction rather than curve downwards towards the ground over time or how railgun projectiles magically go from Mach 7 to 10 mph instantly underwater in a science-fiction game without citing simplicity as a reason.

Also, the fact you've been saying things like 'lol' or 'idc' in nearly most of your posts on this topic implies to me that you simply don't care about this topic as much as I or anyone else would expect you to since this is your topic after all.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby KARL SERG » 18 January 2016, 20:48

Realism tends to make Things better, even in Science-Fiction Games. The Mindset that says "It's Sci-Fi, so it doesn't have to be realistic." can be very problematic.

I understand how it would work realistically. It could be like those Thermoplastic Materials that harden due to Heat and tend to break down in the Cold, but with Impact instead of Temperature/Heat. This would mean that, if something has a Speed which is too High, it will be absorbed/repelled, but if the Force is Minimal, it will be ignored.

However, I still retain my Opinion that it should at least be an Engine Mark/Trigger in PB2,5 (if it will contain them).
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Next

Return to Website / PB2 Game