Bows and arrows :3

Give us your feedback about the website! Or have an idea? Post it here!

Bows and arrows :3

Postby maxim12 » 17 December 2015, 20:07

Yes, what I'm suggesting is bow and arrows weapon type.

It's not medieval. It fires Energy elecrified arrows, can unleash electricy into water (If the arrow hits the water), thus damaging all players who are near the arrow in the water. Another advantage of the Bow is that It's shots are not noicy like the other guns.

Takes slot 4.

Idea is inspired from crysis 3.
Thunder and Blood

maxim12
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Re: Bows and arrows :3

Postby Silent Aurora » 17 December 2015, 21:17

Eh, I don't really see this working out. Put that wep into context, doesn't really fit.
Silent Aurora
Silent Aurora
Heavy Marine [900]

Postby KARL SERG » 17 December 2015, 21:37

A Crossbow would be more Realistic. It has more power and Accuracy because it doesn't depend on the Wielder's Arm Strength.
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Postby Silent Aurora » 17 December 2015, 21:40

Crossbow wouldn't be that bad, would rather see a futuristic crossbow than bow & arrow.
Silent Aurora
Silent Aurora
Heavy Marine [900]

Postby assasinguy » 17 December 2015, 22:46

Whilst I do love the recurve bows in Far Cry 3, (which is where you seem to be getting your inspiration for this), I agree with the others, a crossbow is more fitting for this game.

It all depends on how good the trajectory physics are, the arrow or bolt or whatever needs to drop realistically as it travels further. It would be really cool if the arrow inflicts less damage after it has flown further as well but I don't know if we'll get that level of detail.

As for custom arrows, explosive arrows are the obvious option, electric arrows would be pretty cool but probably quite OP as well, maybe give them a defib-like effect so they just numb you and you have to heal yourself, fire-arrows would be amazing if possible, but then you'd need realistic fire physics to go with it.
assasinguy
assasinguy
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Hikarikaze » 17 December 2015, 23:02

I don't see anything necessarily wrong with having bows and arrows - just make them futuristic like nearly every game set in the future (Crysis 3, BO3, Destiny, etc.) is doing. It's like saying that the game shouldn't have guns because the concept existed far back in the 1500s-1600s and is too 'old' for a game set a thousand years later. If you can make guns fit in the future, then you can do the same here.

Since the game is set in the future, bows would almost be on par with guns because battlesuits would most likely provide the person wearing it with augmented strength and capabilities to be able to efficiently hit targets with both speed and power, as opposed to today, which requires sole human strength - a variable that differs from person to person. The point of science-fiction is to use your imagination to make things fit where they are.

assasinguy wrote:Whilst I do love the recurve bows in Far Cry 3, (which is where you seem to be getting your inspiration for this), I agree with the others, a crossbow is more fitting for this game.

He mentioned in the OP that the idea was inspired by Crysis 3, which has a bow in the game and is also set in the future (2050-2060s).
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby assasinguy » 18 December 2015, 00:20

You make a fair point Hik, and to be perfectly honest bows+arrows look cooler than crossbows. I just had another thought about the arrow physics, they could be affected by pushers as well and slow down in water. The water thing shouldn't be difficult as bullets do that anyway in PB2.

Crysis 3, yeah that's the one, I just think about Far Cry 3 too much because it's one of my favourites.
assasinguy
assasinguy

Postby tehswordninja » 18 December 2015, 01:41

Yeah, maybe Civil Ghosts could use them?

Maybe have a rail crossbow for the Usurpations, and a normal bow for the cs?

Overall it would be neat to see a bow of some sort.
who needs a PB2.5 release date, anyways?
tehswordninja
Proxy [700]

Postby Krutz » 18 December 2015, 03:52

i wouldnt mind a bow in the game

it would be relatively unique considering it would be the only weapon that fires projectiles that travel in parabolic trajectories and arent explosive (like the grenade launcher)

unless of course the arrows are explosive

Krutz
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby yi en » 18 December 2015, 12:46

hmm bow and arrows? hold left click to let the arrow shoot further?
hmm anyways, I dont think it is a bad idea.
yi en
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby KARL SERG » 18 December 2015, 17:10

Hikarikaze wrote:I don't see anything necessarily wrong with having bows and arrows - just make them futuristic like nearly every game set in the future (Crysis 3, BO3, Destiny, etc.) is doing. It's like saying that the game shouldn't have guns because the concept existed far back in the 1500s-1600s and is too 'old' for a game set a thousand years later. If you can make guns fit in the future, then you can do the same here.

Since the game is set in the future, bows would almost be on par with guns because battlesuits would most likely provide the person wearing it with augmented strength and capabilities to be able to efficiently hit targets with both speed and power, as opposed to today, which requires sole human strength - a variable that differs from person to person. The point of science-fiction is to use your imagination to make things fit where they are.

assasinguy wrote:Whilst I do love the recurve bows in Far Cry 3, (which is where you seem to be getting your inspiration for this), I agree with the others, a crossbow is more fitting for this game.

He mentioned in the OP that the idea was inspired by Crysis 3, which has a bow in the game and is also set in the future (2050-2060s).

I don't think that Bows can be enhanced more than they already are (and nor do Crossbows; it's just Arrows fired by Strings).

Guns are a whole different Story. They can be like Cars: WW2-esque look on the outside and the most Best, Modern Technology inside. Bows use different Principles than Guns (Mechanical VS Termodynamic) and even if they would be on par by having Guns being Fully Mechanic, its would still be Piston/Electromagnetism VS String.

Bows indeed have an Appealing Design, but they couldn't even be considered in a Future where presumably the Characters not only have Enhanced Armors, but also Enhanced Bodies. They can still Bleed through their Battlesuits, so I don't think that the Battlesuits are more than just Armors with Melee Capabilities. The Agility, Vitality and Strength seem to be Characteristic to the Bodies of the Characters themselves, not their Armors. I doubt that the Arrows would even be able to make them feel Pain, let alone penetrate their Flesh.
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Postby assasinguy » 18 December 2015, 22:02

Karl, this is a game where you jump and slice at the air to boost yourself higher, you can swim on the surface of water to triple your speed, I don't think it matters too much whether an arrow would actually be able to penetrate futuristic armour, it's just a cool thing to have, as long as it improves gameplay and makes things more enjoyable, it's fine.
assasinguy
assasinguy

Postby Thundrex » 19 December 2015, 03:41

I like how I made a concept weapon for this like a month or two ago.

Honestly, the idea isn't bad if it is executed properly. I also agree with a crossbow being better than a longbow or whatever. Having a pullback animation and everything just... wouldn't be a good idea.
Like Minecraft?

Well join Apocalypse.red! It's a fantastic, small server. It's quite inactive but that's why we need you!
Thundrex
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby ustopable » 19 December 2015, 12:08

Should we just make it an explosive tip arrows so if the player escape a final blow from the explosion would kill it
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby Silent Aurora » 19 December 2015, 12:48

ustopable wrote:Should we just make it an explosive tip arrows so if the player escape a final blow from the explosion would kill it

Could be a good addition to the weapon.
Silent Aurora
Silent Aurora
Heavy Marine [900]

Return to Website / PB2 Game