compiled stuff

Share your PB2-related Still Art here!

compiled stuff

Postby Incompetence » 27 March 2018, 04:37

decided to give this style a try so i made a couple of bad """things.""""

- some automatic pistol - it's automatic. shoots bullets and kills ppl. will be banned in the US soon.
- a handheld artifact thing - idk what i wanted to make. i plan for it to be some alien handheld laser weapon or a grenade that does something similar. it's supposed to ohk ppl because i'm the greatest weapon designer ever

i also compiled together some stuff i came across that i thought was good enough to share. these next ones aren't mine but i got permission from the creator (rip)

Spoiler: Show More
1 - https://i.imgur.com/rYMCYb2.png - idk what this is supposed to be exactly. looks laser rifle-esque.
2 - https://i.imgur.com/3aHV0s9.png - submachine gun
3 - https://i.imgur.com/dj3WRf3.png - suppressed PDW/assault rifle
4 - https://i.imgur.com/8KNSozN.png - laser rifle? something like it
5 - https://i.imgur.com/mwhEjbv.png - sound gun
Incompetence
Civil Security Heavy [300]

Re: compiled stuff

Postby phsc » 27 March 2018, 19:43

first one would be good without the wire thing
second one looks pretty great for some random artifact
third one... the scope is really weird and i dont really like the red part in the magazine, but it looks great in general ignoring that
fourth... doesnt feel like a pb2 gun, too much detail, too much realistic, small outlines, and also i dont like the gun
fifth is really great but also doesnt feel like a pb2 gun, small outlines, the wire thing, and some of the coloring kill it
sixth one is amazing, but also small outlines and too much detail, also pretty weird design, but looks good
seventh one idk, i like it, maybe if it was a little bit simpler it would be even better, also small outlines look weird
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Incompetence » 28 March 2018, 07:10

phsc wrote:first one would be good without the wire thing
second one looks pretty great for some random artifact

i like wired laser sights, it adds a more tactical feel to things imo. these were just test runs i did in the style so i don't expect them to be great however
Incompetence

Postby Hikarikaze » 28 March 2018, 19:06

Ew, all 5 of those compiled weapons are complete garbage. Your style attempts are better though

phsc wrote:third one... the scope is really weird and i dont really like the red part in the magazine, but it looks great in general ignoring that

It's not a scope and the red's only there because the weapon otherwise is monochromatic

phsc wrote:fourth... doesnt feel like a pb2 gun, too much detail, too much realistic, small outlines, and also i dont like the gun

You clearly haven't seen the Needle which tells me a lot considering there's far more detail on that weapon, nor have you clearly seen the CS-DAZ, CS-RC, and CS-Pro, all of which are literal copies of actual existing modern weapons. The "too realistic" excuse is invalid. The outlines are also the correct size but the large original canvas size simply makes them look to appear smaller, so that outline complaint is also invalid.

phsc wrote:fifth is really great but also doesnt feel like a pb2 gun, small outlines, the wire thing, and some of the coloring kill it

The outlines are also the correct size but on a large canvas.

As for the coloring, there's only 3 main colors. That along with the "wire" complaint are literally nitpicks. I take it you prefer boring monochromatic stuff which in that case, these clearly aren't to your catering.

phsc wrote:sixth one is amazing, but also small outlines and too much detail, also pretty weird design, but looks good

Again, go take a look at the Needle. There's more detail on the handguard and magazine well there alone compared to anywhere on this gun. The outlines are once again the same correct size. The design is also pretty normal compared to the random incoherent mess that some of the weapons are in terms of design, fan art included.

phsc wrote:seventh one idk, i like it, maybe if it was a little bit simpler it would be even better, also small outlines look weird

I'm going to stop repeating the fact those outlines are the correct size.

Define "simpler" in this case because that design is as simple as it gets.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby phsc » 28 March 2018, 19:55

Hikarikaze wrote:Ew, all 5 of those compiled weapons are complete garbage. Your style attempts are better though

phsc wrote:third one... the scope is really weird and i dont really like the red part in the magazine, but it looks great in general ignoring that

It's not a scope and the red's only there because the weapon otherwise is monochromatic

phsc wrote:fourth... doesnt feel like a pb2 gun, too much detail, too much realistic, small outlines, and also i dont like the gun

You clearly haven't seen the Needle which tells me a lot considering there's far more detail on that weapon, nor have you clearly seen the CS-DAZ, CS-RC, and CS-Pro, all of which are literal copies of actual existing modern weapons. The "too realistic" excuse is invalid. The outlines are also the correct size but the large original canvas size simply makes them look to appear smaller, so that outline complaint is also invalid.

phsc wrote:fifth is really great but also doesnt feel like a pb2 gun, small outlines, the wire thing, and some of the coloring kill it

The outlines are also the correct size but on a large canvas.

As for the coloring, there's only 3 main colors. That along with the "wire" complaint are literally nitpicks. I take it you prefer boring monochromatic stuff which in that case, these clearly aren't to your catering.

phsc wrote:sixth one is amazing, but also small outlines and too much detail, also pretty weird design, but looks good

Again, go take a look at the Needle. There's more detail on the handguard and magazine well there alone compared to anywhere on this gun. The outlines are once again the same correct size. The design is also pretty normal compared to the random incoherent mess that some of the weapons are in terms of design, fan art included.

phsc wrote:seventh one idk, i like it, maybe if it was a little bit simpler it would be even better, also small outlines look weird

I'm going to stop repeating the fact those outlines are the correct size.

Define "simpler" in this case because that design is as simple as it gets.

3rd - ok thats not a scope emy bad

4th - yeah i get that the cs-pro is a copy of desert eagle and the cs-rc is a copy of xm8, thing is, considering the average pistols and assault rifles, theyre pretty different so that makes them feel like a pb2 gun, the cs daz has no stock and has just a little part of the upper barrel exposed, with the cs-rc just a futuristic modern assault rifle
but wit that gun its just a generic smg with weird details, but doesnt look futuristic, and has a lot of realistic weapon details which dont really fit the pb2 style, i get having something like this from the cs-rc https://prnt.sc/ixonf1 but this is too much https://prnt.sc/ixonil
about the outlines, get that gun, put the cs-rc or some random gun in its size and youre just going to see its a little bit smaller, and that little bit is enough to kill it, also this part is probably the worst thing of the gun http://prntscr.com/ixoo4r

5th - theres actually two outline sizes with that one, one for a few details and one for the weapon itself, the last is ok but the one in the magazine is just too small

6th - http://prntscr.com/ixoqnt just look

7th - by simpler i mean, it just has a bunch of lines, it would look better with thicker outlines and less detail
phsc
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Hikarikaze » 28 March 2018, 21:30

phsc wrote:theyre pretty different so that makes them feel like a pb2 gun, the cs daz has no stock and has just a little part of the upper barrel exposed, with the cs-rc just a futuristic modern assault rifle

You're funny. You contradicted yourself in the same sentence.

There's nothing "futuristic" about any of the modernized CS weapons and even if there was, it can't be modern. The CS-RC looks plainly like the XM8. It's not like other weapons from other games clearly based off the XM8. It's a pure carbon copy of an existing design. The same is attributed to the CS-DAZ (stockless shotguns were always a thing so the CS-DAZ isn't anything revolutionary) and the CS-Pro.

You argue that the SMG is generic yet you try to defend the 3 most generic designs in the entire game. Just about half the posts on this section alone are generic in their own right and just an attempt at making practical designs impractical yet those are glorified as "unique" or excellent. The SMG isn't based off anything that exists at all. It has a conventional design and that's where the "genericness" lies, but that's a broad attribution that can be applied to universally any practical weapon in this game. Narrowing that reasoning down to simply one weapon is just a pitiful attempt to prove a point and it shows ignorance.

phsc wrote:has a lot of realistic weapon details which dont really fit the pb2 style

The only realistic detail it even has is a fire selector and that barely is noticeable when scaled down to game size.

phsc wrote:but this is too much https://prnt.sc/ixonil

Your standards for details are completely backwards if you think that's "too much" yet you gloss over this as acceptable levels of detail http://prntscr.com/ixpn6r

phsc wrote:about the outlines, get that gun, put the cs-rc or some random gun in its size and youre just going to see its a little bit smaller

You obviously haven't read what I said and if you did, I doubt you understood it. There's no guarantee that the CS-RC was drawn with the same canvas size as the SMG when that was made so the outlines will appear to have varying levels of thickness. PB2's outlines in PDN for normal and smaller outlines are line sizes 14 and 8 respectively, which is what I always use for everything I've put in this section. If the outlines really were smaller, this complaint would be attributed to everything you see, not just the few you chose to point out.

I don't have to compare the outlines to any of the game assets because none of them were drawn on the same or similar canvas sizes and thus it's hard to compare actual results if the comparison relies purely on perception and presentation, both of which can't ever be objective. Why would I compare two things that can never be perceived the same way?

phsc wrote:probably the worst thing of the gun http://prntscr.com/ixoo4r

Next time I'll make a weapon that doesn't have a trigger or a trigger guard assuming there will ever be a next time. I already quit making PB2 fan art permanently because of how low and backwards the standards and expectations for art are here so I don't even have to acknowledge this worthless point.

phsc wrote:theres actually two outline sizes with that one, one for a few details and one for the weapon itself, the last is ok but the one in the magazine is just too small

Both the magazine and weapon are the same exact outline thickness. When scaled down to game size, it looks perfectly fine and all of the details appear without clashing with anything. This goes for everything else. The smaller outlines don't interfere with anything and thus it's not a problem.

phsc wrote:6th - http://prntscr.com/ixoqnt just look

Canvas size difference. Take a look at this https://imgur.com/a/hbfTP

It's the same exact line with the same exact thickness at three different canvas size yet the thickness appears to be less as the canvas grows. I use canvas sizes around 2000px with the same line thickness that PB2 uses. What you're pointing out is just a false conclusion being made from your own perception. The outlines aren't "smaller" like you think they are, they just look smaller because the original canvas itself is large.

phsc wrote:7th - by simpler i mean, it just has a bunch of lines, it would look better with thicker outlines and less detail

All of the art in this standard-less section is just a bunch of lines. I think it looks fine the way it is right now. The detail level also isn't overkill like some of the things in the game right now.

At least from this "discussion," I've received confirmation that major double standards exist here, clear as day.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Incompetence » 31 March 2018, 01:18

phsc wrote:[...]

shame the aesthetics can't be praised without someone harping on the style frantically. it won't kill you to actually explain what you don't like and why you don't like whatever part of the weapons you hate instead of saying "this part is the worst" like an edgelord art critic

i, for one, actually appreciate the time and effort spent into those compiled works which was why i even posted them despite me not making them. style shouldn't even be the first thing to consider. art is art regardless of form smh. pitiful how clearly not everyone sees that fact
Incompetence

Postby Tempus » 31 March 2018, 05:41

I like #4 and https://i.imgur.com/twaWcud.png

Both look pretty neat ^^

Well done, make more please <3

If you're looking for work... find me on discord ;)
Tempus
Advisor

Postby Incompetence » 31 March 2018, 08:09

Tempus wrote:I like #4 and https://i.imgur.com/twaWcud.png

Both look pretty neat ^^

Well done, make more please <3

If you're looking for work... find me on discord ;)

thanks man. 1-5 in the list wasn't made by me though, those were made by hikarikaze. she decided to permanently stop making more pb2 fan art though (long story behind this) so can't expect more work from her at all. i only posted her final works because i thought they deserved to be shown. rip talented artist

i could make some more stuff but it's no guarantee. i just made something for fun's sake lmao
Incompetence

Postby TwinsTiger » 14 April 2018, 11:18

All of those are great i wish they were added in pb2

TwinsTiger

Postby Incompetence » 14 April 2018, 22:11

TwinsTiger wrote:All of those are great i wish they were added in pb2

i don't. i'd prefer viewtopic.php?f=138&t=21353 over this

plus for the ones i didn't make, the creator despises them heavily so the sentiment of not wanting them in-game is also shared
Incompetence

Postby Hikarikaze » 15 April 2018, 05:58

TwinsTiger wrote:All of those are great i wish they were added in pb2

As nice as this compliment is, I disagree with my portion of work in the OP being "great." It just isn't great or up to par with anything. As for adding them into the game, there's actually good art that deserves to be added and these aren't it, not by a long shot

Now the rest is good enough to be added though. With some improvements, those would be perfect to add
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Return to Still Art