Civil Liberation Part 1

Singleplayer Maps here.

Civil Liberation Part 1

Postby ChaoSquid » 1 December 2017, 02:41

Map Name: Civil Liberation (Part 1)

Map ID: chaosquid-pbcivil1-1

Map Description: "After joining the Civil Security, your boss gives you a training simulation, to make sure you are a good fit. You must infiltrate a Usurpation base, and kill the commander.

This is the start of a possible series, and my first map. If you have any criticism, please let me know, and rate fairly."

Map Page Link: http://plazmaburst2.com/?s=9&a=&m=chaosquid-pbcivil1-1

Map Demo Link: http://www.plazmaburst2.com/?s=2&map=ch ... pbcivil1-1

This is a map I've been working on for a few days (and it most likely doesn't show), and I've just recently completed it! I don't really know what more to say than that, except for the fact that this is my first map. If you have any criticism, please let me know.
Lazy innanet man who like, does stuff, sometimes.
My steam account's name is ChaoSquidingus.
ChaoSquid
Cyber Grub [25]

Re: Civil Liberation Part 1

Postby Dandamage » 1 December 2017, 19:29

The overall difficulty is high because every single enemy has more or less the amount of health you have and you can end up overwhelmed easily considering the entire level you only use a pistol and grenades. The boss fight was not bad at all but maybe THERE it's better to have more enemies and make it more difficult instead of the rest of the level. The boss felt way more easy than killing the rail pistol aliens, as the projectiles can't be dodged and you don't have much health. The Usurpation Medics are pretty much meat shields only.

That last door wasn't made with the right trigger technique, as it keeps trying to open and makes sound even when it is already open.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here about the story, if you want it to be "lore friendly" or make a generic-ish series. If you want the former (which is my guess since you specified that this map's events happened before the events of PB2), you'll have to think realistically. One soldier taking out an entire squad of usurpation soldiers with only a pistol and some grenades should be a big deal. Keep that in mind.

Overall pretty solid map. You took time to customize the enemies and give them proper nicknames. The background and architecture is at the very least good enough. The combat is pretty simplistic though, and I hope it changes in the future.
Dandamage
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby ChaoSquid » 2 December 2017, 03:48

Dandamage wrote:The overall difficulty is high because every single enemy has more or less the amount of health you have and you can end up overwhelmed easily considering the entire level you only use a pistol and grenades. The boss fight was not bad at all but maybe THERE it's better to have more enemies and make it more difficult instead of the rest of the level. The boss felt way more easy than killing the rail pistol aliens, as the projectiles can't be dodged and you don't have much health. The Usurpation Medics are pretty much meat shields only.

That last door wasn't made with the right trigger technique, as it keeps trying to open and makes sound even when it is already open.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here about the story, if you want it to be "lore friendly" or make a generic-ish series. If you want the former (which is my guess since you specified that this map's events happened before the events of PB2), you'll have to think realistically. One soldier taking out an entire squad of usurpation soldiers with only a pistol and some grenades should be a big deal. Keep that in mind.

Overall pretty solid map. You took time to customize the enemies and give them proper nicknames. The background and architecture is at the very least good enough. The combat is pretty simplistic though, and I hope it changes in the future.

Thanks for the review, Dan! Although, at the end, you don't really specify how I can make the architecture better, and I'm assuming the combat is simplistic because of the whole only a pistol thing.
And yeah, it is kinda trying to be lore friendly, although I don't really know what I'm doing with that. Remember, though, that the map is supposed to be more of a training simulation, and I'd imagine that they'd have you go through something like this.

Should I go back and update the map accordingly to what you've said? I haven't really added an assault rifle, except for an easter egg in the map, which in hind-sight, was probably not a great idea. The reason I did this is probably just because I like being under-powered, for some reason. I should probably play Resident Evil 1 more, then :p
Lazy innanet man who like, does stuff, sometimes.
My steam account's name is ChaoSquidingus.
ChaoSquid
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Dandamage » 2 December 2017, 12:10

Maybe about the lore friendly thing you could make it so that when he leaves the simulation, the other members of the Civil Security are impressed he made it to the end without dying. You don't need to make the mission easier if you want to, but it would be nice if the difficulty was lampshaded through the series, as if the protagonist isn't an ordinary combatant.

The things I typed there are merely suggestions, and don't necessarily mean your map is not good enough. It can vary between every player. The only thing I'm actually concerned about is the weird door, the rest really goes with the style of the map maker and should be respected.

If you are considering the changes and you have enough time, you can create a new map, ovewrite the empty map with this one and change the things I suggested, so you have two versions of the same map, then you could play both and see which one's gameplay feels better. I do that very often and managed to find lots of ideas and things that would be hard to notice just by making the maps without feedback.
Dandamage
Android T-01187 [200]

Return to Singleplayer Maps