Why you need to be careful with online purchases.

Tutorials and guides for Plazma Burst and community features.

Why you need to be careful with online purchases.

Postby ZapruderFilm » 1 December 2016, 00:12

Alright, so I was just thinking about this earlier, and I figured why not enlighten whoever reads these little 'tuts' I make.
Today we're gonna be going over credit card fraud, and how you can easily accidentally be criminalized online by purchasing products from newer merchants or 'too good to be true' prices.

Alright, so let's begin.

Firstly. I want to point out when dealing online, you should never, and I mean never, enter your credit card on an online site that isn't extremely reputable.

'Why? is dirtcheapvapejuice.com gonna steal my credit card?'

No, that isn't why.
The reason why is because newer websites like that commonly store credit card information, and are also vulnerable to having their databases compromised and information stolen. Or, some hackers have been known to inject a script on the merchant website that records all the information submitted and sends it to their server.
(Read my Databases FAQ~!)

What newer websites are safe to purchase from?

Great question. I recommend websites such as amazon. But Amazon doesn't sell everything. For other websites, I recommend using websites that have a paypal gateway. Meaning, you can use paypal to make the purchase, and they don't receive your credit card. Or, use bitcoin, the ultimate secure payment method.

You mentioned being criminalized for 'too good to be true' prices?

Yes, this is a complex concept, so put your seat belt on. We're getting deep into how credit card fraud works.

Credit card fraud is growing more complex by the day with skimmers and other things. But no need for all that, today we will just cover how it works online. Commonly (online), credit cards are stolen with banking trojans, or stolen databases. Hundreds can be stolen with ease using these methods.

Alright, so, l33thacker101 stole 300 credit cards. But if he just plugs them into his amazon and buys himself a new xbox one, it'd quickly show he stole the credit cards, and he'd be arrested.

This leaves l33thacker101 with two, and only two options.
1.Sell the credit cards on the deebweb. Unreliable, have to deal with escrow services, that's no fun.
2. This is more like it. Find a way to get money out of the cards and make it look like someone else.

l33thacker101 goes for option 2. So he creates himself a nice little website, 'coffeemakersforpennies.com' And advertises brand new coffee makers for 20 dollars when they normally cost 200, and ridiculous prices such as this.

He uses a stolen credit card to buy some ads, and quickly he gets customers. Someone like yourself, who sees these sick deals on coffee makers and can't resist buying some. Of course, you're a smart puppy, and use the trusty paypal gateway, so you don't get your credit card stolen.

So now l33thacker101 just got 20 bucks from you. Good deal. But now he needs to ship you a new coffee maker, or you'll charge back the payment.

So l33thacker101 heads over to 'reallyexpensivecoffeemakers.com' and uses a stolen credit card to buy that same 200 dollar coffee maker he sold you for 20 bucks. With one catch. He puts the shipping address as your address. So, 2 weeks later, the police knock on your door wondering why you have this coffee maker that was purchased with a stolen credit card.

Either that happens, or this happens: 'reallyexpensivecoffeemakers.com' goes out of business because banks take all the stolen funds back.

Come again?

Krebs On Security made a nice little diagram to explain the concept more easily.

Be very careful with your credit card people, those things being stolen is on the rise.

ZapruderFilm
Android T-01187 [200]

Re: Why you need to be careful with online purchases.

Postby Charlie 5 Lives » 1 December 2016, 10:26

Not PB2 related, but nevertheless, this is a good topic to have knowledge of, and knowing how unpredictable things can get here on the Interwebs, I am glad to see this. A bit weird and situational, but still good to see.
Charlie 5 Lives
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby ZapruderFilm » 1 December 2016, 16:01

Charlie 5 Lives wrote:Not PB2 related, but nevertheless, this is a good topic to have knowledge of, and knowing how unpredictable things can get here on the Interwebs, I am glad to see this. A bit weird and situational, but still good to see.

Yeah, as I mentioned in OP, I just happen to be thinking about it because a friend of mine was talking about stealing credit cards, and this kinda scheme is complex and I happen to be one of the few people I know who understand how it works.

ZapruderFilm
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby KARL SERG » 1 December 2016, 19:30

I just saw a movie about this subject yesterday. It was called "Detachment" and had this Story embedded in it.

You should see it, it's a Dramatic Film that has great documentary value.
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Postby pixelbyte » 3 December 2016, 04:02

I don't shop online, because I know for a fact that wherever I shop I won't ever get that package I ordered and I just wasted money.
Oh yeah, also because im too young to have a credit card and order online
Better safe then sorry

pixelbyte

Postby wreak » 3 December 2016, 05:30

I never shop online not even on cyber monday. I just never got in the habit of it and I also heard packages being stolen when being shipped, the entire process of ordering online and not have backlash is just too risky for me.
wreak
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby ZapruderFilm » 3 December 2016, 08:35

I make online purchases daily. I have a credit card.
I have even purchased illegal substances online.
I still always get my package.
Do not be afraid of ordering online if you take the proper precautions.

ZapruderFilm
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby KARL SERG » 3 December 2016, 14:17

ZapruderFilm wrote:I make online purchases daily. I have a credit card.

I see that you like living dangerously, but with precautions. I have a friend like you who is interested in becoming an Evaluator of Breaches in security systems and he wants to do reckless things like these at times.

Nevertheless, thanks for the advice. It is useful for our future projects, especially since someone like myself has little knowledge of or trust in the Advanced Cybernetic Technology these days.
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Postby ZapruderFilm » 3 December 2016, 21:14

KARL SERG wrote:
ZapruderFilm wrote:I make online purchases daily. I have a credit card.

I see that you like living dangerously, but with precautions. I have a friend like you who is interested in becoming an Evaluator of Breaches in security systems and he wants to do reckless things like these at times.

Nevertheless, thanks for the advice. It is useful for our future projects, especially since someone like myself has little knowledge of or trust in the Advanced Cybernetic Technology these days.

Of course, when I purchase those items, I go through an escrow service that holds my money until I recieve my package, then releases it to the person who sold it to me.
And I use a VPN and route through tor proxy chain.

ZapruderFilm
Android T-01187 [200]

Return to Tutorials