Modifying guns.

Tutorials and guides for Plazma Burst and community features.

Modifying guns.

Postby JDeck » 19 December 2015, 09:18

Modifying Guns.

This will be a tutorial on modifying guns. And turn it into anything , literally anything.(Except for walls and stuff , etc.)
It may be abit wordy but I will make it as understandable as possible.

To modify guns , you would need guns(obviously) , triggers and timers.You might also need regions , pushers , decorations and doors.You can also use doors to replace timers if you know how to do it.
(Since I am not an expert in timers and stuff I mostly use doors as a replacement.)

So start off with a gun.Gun fire-rate depends on what gun you select , though you can change the gun's fire-rate but why bother when there is a simple way out.

Note : From here onwards please read carefully!

Next , there is 2 options :
Option 1. Start with a timer(A) and a trigger(A).Timer-A targets trigger-A , delay is up to you though.30 delay : 1Second.
Option 2. Start with Region(A) and a trigger (A). Region-A activates trigger-A. How it activates is up to you.

Now here is the part where you have to decide what you want your gun to do when it fires OR how you want it to work.

--------------
Modding gun projectiles , fire-rate ,ETC.

Changing projectiles :
This part is fairly easy.The triggers have a action that directly changes the projectiles.(Listed as under "guns" category)
Bullets : No need to explain.
Rails : Guns shoot out rails.
Energy : BNG projectiles.
Rocket : Shoots out rocket.
Grenade : Shoots out the projectile of grenade launcher , NOT the grenade itself.
(Defibillator...It shoots out 0 projectiles so I are not sure if there is projectile or not.I mean , it may shoot out bandages that only travels at a distance of 0.01mm)
Depending on the projectile , it may weaken/strengthen the gun's power.For example if I make a CS-Rifle shoot out rails , the damage it does would slightly decrease. So you might need to change the gun's projectile's power.This does not reset the gun's amount of projectile to "1".

Gun's power/damage :
This part can be easy , yet tricky.The triggers have a action that changes the power of the projectiles.(Listed as under "guns" category)
Default power depends on the gun itself.
Higher power = higher impact , higher piece-rate , higher recoil and higher push-back effect done to player-initator.
However , setting it to negative wont do damage . at all.Projectiles would appear but they wont do damage.However they still does recoil and push-back effect though.Just that the push-back effect is reversed so if I shoot the gun at my target I would go closer to the target instead of further.
The gun's push-back power also depends on the amount of projectiles it sprays. So if I set to it spraying 5 projectiles with power of 2 , it would be push back the player about (5x0.5) times more than it use to , this is the estimated caculations though , not fully accurate.
Again , this does not reset the gun's amount of projectile to "1".

Gun's amount of projectile.
Easiest part.The triggers have a action that changes the amount of the projectiles that the gun fires.(Listed as under "guns" category)
Just changes the amount of projectiles that the gun fires.
You can set it to negative so that the gun would still fire but projectiles wouldn't appear.(Well they would , but they can appear anywhere on the map for a split second.)

---------------
Tool Guns.

If you read all the " modding guns part " , please remember that you still have your trigger-A and now we are going to add few more triggers.
Depending on what you want to make , I will just simply teach you how to make a warp gun.(Teleports to player-initator cursor) And hopefully you come up with your own stupid yet crazy ideas of your own gun.

Make a trigger(B).Now trigger-A will have a action of " Activiate trigger-B when gun-A fires ".
If you want the gun to be able to shoot even when teleporting , then thats done.If not , change the amount of projectiles it fires to 0.
Now your done with that trigger-A.But please don't dumb it away.

Now there is 2 way to do it.But I will teach you the way so that everyone can use that gun.
Make region(B) and region(C) , make region-B about the same size characters and region-C 10x-10y long. Now make trigger-B do these 2 actions

FIRST , make sure its the first 2 action that it does or it will not work!!!! :
- " Move region-B to player-initator "
- " Move region-C to player initator cursor "
Now , let it do this action :
- " Teleport all players from region-B to region-C ".
And there you go , it should teleport the player to the cursor though.If it doesn't work , check everything again , make sure your triggers , region and stuff are working properly.

I have made a portal gun at this map ID : jdeck-test
It is opened-source too so you can check that out.

------------
Tips :
- If you notice the trigger can do up to 10 action , however they do NOT do it exactly the same time.So for example the 1st action it does it

harm Region-A and then the 2nd action teleports the guy to Region-A , the guy would NOT take damage.But if it was swapped around then the guy would take damage.
Hence? It looks like all the actions have the same timing but it is actually not.Use this to your advantage.

- You can make buttons/timers that makes the same gun do different actions instead of 1 action over and over again.

- When A.I bots shoots at a target , their cursor is always aimed at a target literally all the time.Though you can change that fact using some trigger actions and regions.

Well if you want to learn how to make some special guns then I recommend you to check this one out :
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=14839
Last edited by JDeck on 20 December 2015, 20:38, edited 2 times in total.

JDeck

Re: Modifying guns.

Postby Silent Aurora » 19 December 2015, 12:46

Lovely, well-explained tutorial mate, good job man.
Silent Aurora
Silent Aurora
Heavy Marine [900]

Postby NNC » 20 December 2015, 17:34

oh, my...

It's just one more half-assed guide/tutorial which causes much more harm than good. This "tutorial" is extremely disappointing, confusing and misleading, as the most of statements are either underexplained (like, they generate more questions than answers) or false. I also doubt that a newbie could understand anything in here - he'd likely get a lot of wrong info instead.
I consider myself a somewhat-experienced triggers user, yet I was confused for the most of the tutorial because I simply couldn't understand what's going on. I'm not sure why, but a possible reason could be few too fast/short explanations on what exactly do you do with those triggers. Engrish got to be a reason as well, though I'm not one to complain about this.

JDeck wrote:turn it into anything , literally anything
At this point I already knew that the guide is going to sux...

JDeck wrote:To modify guns , you would need guns(obviously) , triggers and timers.You might also need regions , pushers , decorations and doors.
Pushers? Decorations? Doors? What is going on? None of these are ever mentioned in your post again, nor they are seen in those triggers' descriptions. I wonder what you wanted to say.

JDeck wrote:(Since I am not an expert in timers and stuff I mostly use doors as a replacement.)
I'd like to ask 2 things:
How exactly do you do that? (Why not explain this, if you say it's easier than using timers?)
and
What's so terrible difficult in timers so it's necessary to become an expert in them?

JDeck wrote:you can change the gun's fire-rate
False. It's one of the few modification triggers which is missing.

JDeck wrote:Option 1. Start with a timer(A) and a trigger(A).Timer-A targets trigger-A , delay is up to you though.30 delay : 1Second.
Option 2. Start with Region(A) and a trigger (A). Region-A activates trigger-A. How it activates is up to you.
I'm not sure what's the point of mentioning that, as it's pretty much obvious and has nothing special.

JDeck wrote:Rails : Guns shoot out rails.
Do they mirror off surfaces? You didn't explain. It's a thing.

JDeck wrote:Changing projectiles :
[...]
Plasma : Shoots out projectile that is like plasma-bloom.
Know what? Such trigger doesn't even exists. I think that a guide about actual triggers would be much better than some fan-fiction.

JDeck wrote:Setting it to "1" should be the default power of the gun.
False. Try to do that with a heavy railgun and you'll see it became ridiculously weak.
Default weapon power depends on the weapon.

JDeck wrote:Higher power = higher impact , higher piece-rate , higher recoil and higher push-back effect done to player-initator.
Finally a correct tip! (It's been about 1.2 of my monitors already, and about 2/5 of the whole tutorial.)

JDeck wrote:However , setting it to negative wont do damage . at all.Projectiles would appear but they wont do damage.However they still does recoil and push-back effect though.Just that the push-back effect is reversed so if I shoot the gun at my target I would go closer to the target instead of further.
Should've explained that hitting an enemy with such a gun would cause him to glitch away. It's an important thing.

JDeck wrote:I will just simply teach you how to make a warp gun.(Teleports to player-initator cursor)

Make a trigger(B).Now trigger-A will have a action of " Activiate trigger-B when gun-A fires ".
If you want the gun to be able to shoot even when teleporting , then thats done.If not , change the amount of projectiles it fires to 0.
Now your done with that trigger-A.But please don't dumb it away.
You didn't even tell what to do with trigger-B...

JDeck wrote:And hopefully you come up with your own stupid yet crazy ideas of your own gun.
[...]
Please don't dumb it away.
This is not how one should make tutorials, especially considering that you're "dumbing away" your own guide in pretty much every sentence.

Not going to comment the rest of BS... er... wait... BC triggers stuff because I simply don't understand what's going on. Congratulations on making a guide which disappoints someone who can do all of that without guides.

JDeck wrote:for example the 1st action it does it

harm Region-A and then the 2nd action teleports the guy to Region-A , the guy would NOT take damage.But if it was swapped around then the guy would take damage.
It's vice versa.

JDeck wrote:- You can make buttons/timers that makes the same gun do different stuff instead of 1 stuff over and over again.
"What?" <- my reaction upon reading this
What are you talking about, actually? Is this about different projectiles for the same weapon or what? And how a newbie is supposed to guess this?

JDeck wrote:When A.I bots shoots at a target , their cursor is always aimed at a target literally all the time.
The 2nd useful tip in the whole guide. Although I'm not sure if I can believe this, after all of those mistakes before.

So... meh. It's a shame.

Silent Aurora wrote:Lovely, well-explained tutorial mate, good job man.
Will you ever stop farming your posts counter by posting random phrases few times per each topic? It's ridiculous. Remember that staff are supposed to be someone to take behaviour examples from?
~~~~
NNC
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby JDeck » 20 December 2015, 20:37

@NNC :
1. you forgot to quote something after " literally anything "
2. I said MIGHT , but I didn't say you MUST use doors and stuff.
3. Is this a tutorial for how to use doors as a replacement for timers? No , its just a modding guns tutorial.
4. You indeed can change the gun fire-rate , extremely complicated but it is indeed possible. ( You gonna say " but there is no direct action for it " , but I didn't say to change in what way , right? )
5. I mentioned that because I often forget that , and sometimes people too , but anyway , i give you that one.
6. Again , modding guns tutorial , not tutorial on how projectiles work.
7. My bad , sometimes I hallucinate trigger actions.
8. Ok , my bad too , I give you this one.
9. Skip!
10. Sometimes it does , sometime it doesn't.
11. Trigger-B comes in later , don't be impatient.
12. Tutorial for how to mod guns , not "How to make some cool special effect with guns"
13. Honestly does everyone understand what "vice-versa" means? I still have people asking me what it means even though rarely.
14. Is that not simple enough to understand? What I meant was "You can use timers and triggers to make the same gun do another action instead of doing 1 action all the time."
15. Ok then , so lets pretend you didn't knew anything about modding guns , like totally. So after reading this you only knew 2 things :
- Higher power = Higher penetration , blah blah blah...
- A.I bots always aim their cursor at their target.
So I see , all these times you just been reading bad parts of this tutorial and those 2 parts.

16. Thats why you should follow his example dude , stop posting negative comments instead. Even so just tell me what went wrong and stuff.Not telling me that this tutorial sucked. Honestly even if he didn't read the whole tutorial or stuff , should you be really just be sitting down there and say what he did wrong?At least he didn't put any negative comments down there.

Besides , this is a tutorial on modifying guns , not making some high-tech out-of-the world stuff after modding a gun.So please don't expect some high quality stuff down there that you have never seen before or rarely seen before.Plus you don't expect anything you do to be perfect with no error , like how we make maps. We have to check our maps a few times to fix errors you know.
And sorry for the bad english , not everyone have good english plus whats wrong with having bad english in this tutorial? That makes it more perfect for people who didn't get an A-plus for english. (Unless it was 101% completely alien language, my english still deserves a C-grade down here.)

ANYWAY , I edited some errors and mistakes after reading your whole comment. So yea , thanks for reading my tutorial anyway.

Note : The forum isn't for flame war , so if you want to counter back this one try not to go too offensive.

JDeck

Postby 346 » 21 December 2015, 00:17

Well thought out JDeck well done.
:P Wassup my peeps

Spoiler: Show More
Hi yall check out my Youtube

Code: Select all
Stealth is key
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby halo 4 pro » 25 February 2018, 23:17

Just so all of you know, you CAN directly change a guns fire rate.

Gun > Change gun A speed multiplier to value of B
What is a man but the sum of his memories? We are the stories we live! The tales we tell ourselves!

halo 4 pro
Recruit

Postby Xenixus » 23 March 2018, 10:47

Very well explained good job JDeck.
Xenixus
Recruit

Return to Tutorials