How To: Be a PB2 Master Player!

Tutorials and guides for Plazma Burst and community features.

How To: Be a PB2 Master Player!

Postby Charlie 5 Lives » 12 November 2015, 08:00

Hey, guys!

Having a bit of a hard time in Approved matches? Have no fear!

I am here to tell you how to get a good KDR in Approved Maps. I would like to say that these steps are not in order, and may vary on what the map is.

1. Stay calm and focus
Seriously! You are in a shooting game, but remember, it's all not real. It's just a game. So whether you're the target dummy or the alleged "hacker noob", just stay calm. Focus on the game. If you're screaming behind your screen (like I occasionally do), then do so, but don't express it onto the game via chat. Please be considerate of other gamers: Most gamers came to play.

2. Study the terrain
First, observe the Map ID so you can remember it when you're in the lobby. Second, if you want to, host a private map and look around the whole map. Observe what weapons you can find, what "flaws" are in the map, and where opponents are likely to hide. Strategize. A Pistol C-01p may seem useless to most gamers who use Shotgun C-01s or Sniper Rifle CS-YippeeKiYay, but it is able to penetrate through walls thicker than the CS-Pistol or the Assault Rifle C-01r. This also goes to the Alien Rifle and the Ray Gun C-01y.

If a map has grenades, it is meant that the map is likely to have campers. Use your grenades wisely at your disposal.

3. Observe your strengths and weaknesses
Find out what your proficient weapons are. If you're focused on getting the job done quick, you're probably likely to use assault rifles. If you're about giving the heaviest of damage, shotguns, rockets, and snipers/railguns. If you're more of a support, the Plasmagun CS-Bloom, shotgun, sniper, and defibrillator are good choices. (sarcasm) If you're killing your own teammates, rocket and CS-BNG are very good choices. (end sarcasm)

Don't always use your weapon. If you want to be quick, use the "Q" key on your keyboard to switch from swords to your choice of weapon. Once your opponent appears, hit "Q" and fire.

If you want to be sneaky, use the same strategy above, but avoid using swords and gunfire. Remember, sound is just as important as sight.

Now, every gamer has a weakness: Lag, gun can't kill enemy, asking how to use Portnades and Shieldnades (C and Z), cannot use defibrillator, the usual. First of, if anyone lags, it does not count as hacking or anything else. Everyone lags, nobody has a perfect internet connection... Yet.

Second, if your gun can't kill an enemy, it's more than likely because of lag, or you missed. If any one of them is the case, switch to your other weapon. Whenever I am lagging, I follow what I call the "shotgun test". If my shotgun doesn't fire bullets, I am lagging. If it fires, I am normal.

You can always use your weaknesses to your advantage, especially if lag is a major weakness.
Remember, you cannot win a battle without knowing your strengths and weaknesses.

4. Observe your opponents
All gamers are the same, no matter what. Whether they are a Guest, a Newbie, a person in the Top 20, ALL GAMERS are the SAME.

As mentioned in #2, you must have studied the terrain in a map. Now, if the game is in Cooperative Mode, you must follow every opponent's path and strategy. While there are many different strategies, there are 5 common and separate strategies your opponent may use:
1. Camping
2. Hiding near teleporters (also camping)
3. Roaming
4. Rocket/BNG/Grenade Spamming
5. Speedkilling (I am guilty of this)

To solve camping opponents, if you have teammates, LISTEN to them. They are likely to tell you which direction of gunfire they are shooting at, and where they are. If it still in an open area, use your grenades.

To solve enemies near teleporters (example: neelfrost-rvb), first analyze what weapons they might be using. If they aren't using weapons, assume they are using swords, so instant death is very likely. If you are able to, enter the portal, and jump away from any gunfire/sword as fast as possible, switch to your preferred weapon, and fight. This is not guaranteed to always work, but always take a risk.

Roaming opponents are the ones that travel the whole map in different pathways to find you (and your teammates). First, analyze where each of your opponents travels. If it's a Cooperative match, check their best player, and find out their path/pattern. As long as you can disrupt an opponent's path/pattern, you have a chance of winning easier, and your teammates will thank you for it. This strategy is important if the map has different levels, such as underground and overground.

Rocket/BNG/Grenade Spamming are very hard to deal with, are very distracting, and can be very infuriating. Let's start in order of weakest explosion to largest. To solve grenade spamming, remember that every map has a limited amount of grenades: 1-3 (in special cases, 6). Also, grenades have three seconds until they blow up, giving you time to evade, unless you are in a confined space, in which case, you must run for your life or use a teleporting grenade (if available). Rockets are a pain, but if you're lucky when hit, you have a 10% chance of not being killed, but in a "Dying You" state. A rocket launcher has one second to reload, so take that time to your advantage. Every second counts. Also, rockets go in a straight line in any direction fired, so don't worry about it moving up and down every time. For the BNG, this is harder, as the energy around the projectile can also kill you. If one was to head toward you, you must run as fast as possible, as the damage is massive. They take 3 seconds to reload, so use that time to figure out where it was fired from and eliminate the target (unless it is a friendly).

Speedkilling is when an opponent (I use this tactic) manages to run across a map in a short time to eliminate you and your teammates. Depending on the map size, usually small maps, players who use the speedkilling strategy are hard to stop, especially if they or you lag. Once you are hit, you have no chance. The easiest way to stop a speedkiller is to use an assault rifle, as the fire rate is almost equivalent to how fast the player should go. The bullets will also force the player back when hit. A speedkilling opponent will usually take the same path until they are repeatedly killed, in which case, they will form a new path, making it harder for you.

5. Teamwork
As mentioned numerous times before, teamwork is important. Yes, you can have camping teammates, AFK teammates, or teammates that do all the work, and that's fine. It's who is on the other team that matters the most.

Deathmatch, you have no worries for teams, but maps that are TDM/Coop are challenging, especially Coop. If one player on the enemy team can take down your whole team in less than 1 minute in a match, you really need to work together to prevent that from happening in a consecutive row, because as long as the enemy gets kills, you'll gain deaths and your KDR decreases. Cooperative maps aren't about winning, it's about who gets the most kills.

Use the same strategies in Section 4 to help solve this problem, which falls under "Speedkilling".

6. Important quotes
Here are some important notes I have found in-game or from other users that can help you focus on a game:

- Hikarikaze: "If you take damage and leave a match, that counts as a death."
- "Never heal a friend when gunfire is near; The consequences will be real." - A Guest
- "Don't always trust the dot on a sniper. It only blinks green for a second in sniper maps." - McKayla14 (no longer online)
- "Being bodybroken is much safer than being revived." - Charlie 5 Lives
- "It's only a game." - Probably over 75% of the site's user population

That's all the advice I can give you guys for now. I really hope this helped you become better at PB2. If you ever find me in a match, and you followed these steps, I hope you will be either my teammate or a worthy opponent. Good luck, guys! :D

If you have any other tips or strategies, feel free to add onto this below.
Charlie 5 Lives
Cyber Grub [25]

Re: How To: Be a PB2 Master Player!

Postby ustopable » 13 November 2015, 11:46

Most hated ally
The one whoo keep reviving you under fire i have been revived 5 times in coop under gunfire and the most thing that i hate is that i keep gaining Deaths from it decreasing my k/d r

I fall under roaming and speed killing as whenever i die i change my path and boost myself by firing gun on my back then jumping so i can arrive at the center immediately then suppress them they will quickly retreat and take cover making it easier for my ally to advance
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby artichokecat » 13 November 2015, 23:58

ustopable wrote:Most hated ally
The one whoo keep reviving you under fire i have been revived 5 times in coop under gunfire and the most thing that i hate is that i keep gaining Deaths from it decreasing my k/d r

hehehe I like waiting out of sight for a while
then I hear the defib
then I rush in and kill em

>:)
artichokecat
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby alexwang32 » 18 November 2015, 02:12

Very nice and detailed tutorial, as a 3 year old player I can say that this is very helpful.

However I must add ONE IMPORTANT thing:

Learn self boost. Seriously, you won't be able to beat self boosters, they move faster, jump higher, have much more flexibility. Learn it. It's what seperates Guests from players.

And here's a famous quote from a person I met:

"HACKER! How jump so high! Guys kick him!"

--- voted to exlcude alexwang32 from game (1/3)
--- voted to exlcude alexwang32 from game (2/3)
Connection to Server was lost...

alexwang32

Postby ustopable » 19 November 2015, 06:38

I remember a player he always have the highest kill but when killed he quits then join again why?
Its because the guns will be restored to its original place and all doors opened. It will be nice if Eric will sync multiplayer
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby drosebush » 20 November 2015, 01:30

As for the doors opened, they all update and move (At the door's set speed) to the closed position (or open if closed on game start) The weapons is good to keep because if this wasnt here, entire maps would be out of guns within a matter of an hour. Not to mention the internet traffic.

drosebush

Postby mingo1 » 20 November 2015, 07:45

Those quotes at the end were quite heartwarming; I like 'em!

I would usually throw some constructive criticism at you, but there's honestly nothing wrong with this. It's long yet thorough—I can easily see myself benefiting as a player already just by reading this passage.
Beyond excellent tutorial my friend, for a noob or a Pro.

:D
mingo1
Administrator

Postby xChakra » 21 November 2015, 17:29

Experience > Skill
[sarcasm] Yeah... Sure[/sarcasm]
Spoiler: Show More
xChakra
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby Silent Aurora » 21 November 2015, 17:34

What I do is use sound + prediction. But you need to know the map 100% to predict so you can counter your opponents moves.
Silent Aurora
Silent Aurora
Heavy Marine [900]

Postby FRC10 » 23 November 2015, 10:03

Nice long experience....one more thing to add :

Always try to be on platforms cuz being on top will surely benefit you to shoot, dodge and kill. Watch out campers waiting over there.
"Nobody is born legend but you can grow into one."
https://pb2kzm.wordpress.com
FRC10
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby ustopable » 25 November 2015, 10:09

yeah controlling the top is the best (Headshot Baby!) but as you get higher you are more prone to be shot at
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby kololek » 25 November 2015, 19:16

ustopable wrote:Most hated ally

I fall under roaming and speed killing as whenever i die i change my path and boost myself by firing gun on my back then jumping so i can arrive at the center immediately then suppress them they will quickly retreat and take cover making it easier for my ally to advance

Just use -kill and you're bodybroken

kololek

Postby Arc_ » 27 November 2015, 09:04

Annoying Players:
scream 'heal pls' 24/7
then when you don't heal them because of thethe massive barrage of ray-rifle fire flying over your head, they scream abuse at you and still shout 'heal pls'
So please, educate players about NOT using first aid in the middle of a firefight.

Arc_
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Ghostehz » 28 November 2015, 01:01

Don't rage and call anything that breathes a pizza sauce.

Credits to Flame99999.
Ghostehz
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Wardemption » 29 November 2015, 15:01

I know a good quote by a guest:
"Stay calm and shoot on."
Freedom's from, not to.
Wardemption
Falkok [250]

Postby wreak » 30 November 2015, 00:12

I am really good at mid range fighting, especially with the modern assault rifle. My main weakness is close combat and guerrilla warfare (Yes, it's actually possible to guerrilla warfare in pb2 I was surprised too)

I already new the important quotes besides the body beaking one.

Its best to have a quicker communication like this e=enemy gf=gunfire "e gf at 4"
wreak
wreak
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby Hikarikaze » 30 November 2015, 01:46

wreak wrote:Its best to have a quicker communication like this e=enemy gf=gunfire "e gf at 4"

Good luck trying to explain what each codename and acronym for your 'quicker' communication means to people.

I'm certain nearly everyone *should* know this, but it's better to burst-fire automatic weapons than to completely spray them. You'll land far more accurate shots, and your time-to-kill ratio should fairly be the same (though it'll be slightly higher than with spraying). It's better for long-range engagements because accuracy is key when landing shots in this kind of distance.

It's also nice to know exactly which areas shooting will deal more damage to, e.g knowing that shooting at the head or torso deals more damage than shooting at the legs, etc. You'll gain easier kills and you'll likely have more kills as opposed to aiming lower. Practicing aiming at more critical spots helps, and will eventually become a habit (speaking from personal experience).
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby wreak » 30 November 2015, 03:34

Hikarikaze wrote:
wreak wrote:Its best to have a quicker communication like this e=enemy gf=gunfire "e gf at 4"

Good luck trying to explain what each codename and acronym for your 'quicker' communication means to people.

I'm certain nearly everyone *should* know this, but it's better to burst-fire automatic weapons than to completely spray them. You'll land far more accurate shots, and your time-to-kill ratio should fairly be the same (though it'll be slightly higher than with spraying). It's better for long-range engagements because accuracy is key when landing shots in this kind of distance.

It's also nice to know exactly which areas shooting will deal more damage to, e.g knowing that shooting at the head or torso deals more damage than shooting at the legs, etc. You'll gain easier kills and you'll likely have more kills as opposed to aiming lower. Practicing aiming at more critical spots helps, and will eventually become a habit (speaking from personal experience).

My code names was from experience, they were perfect for clan wars but not that great for just average battle matches.

I also use burst fire on automatics when coming from off screen. I wish eric gurt made a button allowing clear burst fire for some weapons.
wreak
wreak

Postby artichokecat » 30 November 2015, 05:42

I knew burst fire was effective for Assault Rifle Co1r because it has a tendency for its accuracy to be way off if you spammed it but i never though of applying the same logic to the other Assault Rifle (which I use to spam all the time in x death-realwar)

Good Advice!
artichokecat
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby wreak » 30 November 2015, 23:00

Did anyone say suppressive fire?
wreak
wreak

Next

Return to Tutorials