Problem with RAM Usage

Problem with RAM Usage

Postby Fan Fan1 » 30 December 2015, 06:14

I am not sure if this is a bug, but PB2 has been consuming a lot of my RAM lately. This bug seems to only happen on multiplayer maps and is caused by visiting several maps. That is why I always have to refresh my browser, but it gets really annoying after a while. I want to know if this is a PB2 problem or a problem on my computer and if there is any way to fix it.

I have a screenshot that shows over one Gigabyte of RAM being used by the chrome's Shockwave flash plugin, but I don't seem to know how to paste it. This amount of memory being used is ridiculous! I never had so much RAM being consumed by PB2 before. This high RAM usage causes lag during gameplay (FPS dropping), and increases the ping value by a lot.

I have conducted an experiment and I have discovered the memory flushes down when you die, but after you respawn, the memory slowly rises back up again. The memory also flushes when other players leave. Simpler maps can use up to 850 MB of RAM, while complex maps can use up to 1400 MB.

Is anyone else suffering from the same problem? Is there anyone that knows if this is a computer problem or the game's problem? Lastly, does anyone know how to fix high memory usage besides refreshing the browser?
Fan Fan1
Cyber Grub [25]

Re: Problem with RAM Usage

Postby Hikarikaze » 30 December 2015, 06:41

The problem isn't PB2, but Chrome itself. Other browsers, such as Opera, may help so try that out.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Alica » 30 December 2015, 11:34

As Hik said above, try it with other browsers like Opera.
You could also close background clients such as autostart programs and such things.
Can easily be managed in the task manager and the windows explorer.

I am assuming that you know the one folder called "autostart"? Cut the programs being listed there out of the folder and after your next boot there should be more RAM space.

About the task manager thing. Be careful with closing clients.
Do not close any clients being used by windows itself like the "Windows Explorer".

In the end its up to you.
Alica
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby Green eyed Demon » 30 December 2015, 15:02

Chrome is a RAM killer,last time I was using that I was wondering why the hell is my PC slowing down fast,then I noticed my RAM usage was nearly 2 GB.Using Opera since that,probably the best browser out of the ones I had so far

Green eyed Demon

Postby Fan Fan1 » 30 December 2015, 22:09

@Alica
Do you mean the Startup tab in Task Manager? I configure that setting every time I install a new program to make sure no other programs startup except my touchpad and audio. I have also configured the Services that startup in msconfig.

@Hikarikaze & Green eyed Demon
I have tried other browsers like Microsoft Edge and Opera. Here are the results:
Microsoft Edge: Terrible gameplay, with lag even on singleplayer. Character responds late to keyboard actions
Opera: After installing this new browser, I have noticed it takes up more CPU power. The memory is lower, but it still rises like chrome, resulting in the same ping and low fps problem.

Additional Information
I have adblocker installed on all my browsers, could this extension affect the memory used by the Shockwave Flash plugin?

Summary
Opera and Microsoft Edge both failed to resolve problem
Thank you to all the users who tried to help, however the problem still continues.
Fan Fan1
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby KARL SERG » 30 December 2015, 22:27

Try using Internet Explorer. It's the Browser I use the most and it hasn't failed me so far.
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Postby Alica » 30 December 2015, 22:35

You can find the folder if you hit the windows home button and open the list which displays the folders of all programs being installed on your computer. There should be a folder called ''Autostart''.

Cut the links being listed in there out.
Should give your ram some space after your next boot, if you have even found some programs being listed there.

About the task manager thing.
I actually mean the processes. Close a few if you found some which use much space.
Do not close processes being used by windows itself like the Windows Explorer. Such processes are being marked as ''System''/''Network''/''Local Host''.
Otherwise you would have to reboot your computer and it could even cause permanent damage.

Btw, which OS do you use?
Alica

Postby Civil-Lite » 30 December 2015, 22:43

Green eyed Demon wrote:Chrome is a RAM killer,last time I was using that I was wondering why the hell is my PC slowing down fast,then I noticed my RAM usage was nearly 2 GB.Using Opera since that,probably the best browser out of the ones I had so far

I use chrome basically all the time (only cus Im always use my ChromeBook Laptop) and I don't feel anything happening much. But sometimes I did have to reload my page because some lag kept being picked up. Sometimes when it comes to lag I am used to it if theres only a little lag like 400+ ping my best choice would be to wait a while until the lag goes away then just start playing again or just go and come back to the server, but if there was a lot of lag then yes I would just have to reload my page. The other computer at home was not really the best choice to use much, although its a windows one but whenever I go on it onto the PB2 website and onto a match its either the mouse just does wtf it wants for a few seconds or I just happen to keep lagging whenever i try to move. So yea I think chrome is actually quite faster for me to use in my opinion. Google Chrome has not failed me, YET !
Civil-Lite
Janitor

Postby Hikarikaze » 30 December 2015, 23:03

Civil-Lite wrote:- can't be bothered to quote the entire post -

Chrome on Chrome OS is only fast because Chromebooks don't have anything installed by default, hence no memory being consumed. Windows (unsure about OS X and other Linux systems/Ubuntu) faces that problem because there are default programs already installed, most of which does take up memory. It truly is a RAM killer for Windows or any system with programs installed.

Also, Chrome OS and any Chromebook-based device is awful. I'm personally appalled by your choice in computers.
---
Adblock shouldn't cause any significant effect to browser performance. Opera may take up CPU power due to the fact that other processes might be running in the background (a problem I personally face). Alica's post on killing off certain tasks with Task Manager should help and you should see a reduction in CPU usage.

I've heard that Maxthon is great for running the game. I would suggest that as my final solution as it's not a good idea to keep installing browsers and worsen your CPU usage further.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Fan Fan1 » 2 January 2016, 04:36

Here are my results for the suggestions you guys made:

Internet Explorer: This still has high memory usage, but the fps does not drop. However in a room with several players, my controls lag (Sprite responds late to keyboard actions. This would be annoying if one were to play approved matches). Overall, its a good browser to play PB2.
Maxthon: This is the best browser for PB2 and perhaps every game. It is the most lightweight browser I have ever used. Low RAM and CPU. It also comes with a preinstalled adblock, plus a feature to pop-out the PB2 game screen is available, allowing me to also resize the game and play it in fullscreen.

@Alica
I use a Windows 10 OS Home Edition with 64 bit architecture. I assume that you use Windows 7 or Vista, judging by the icons and Start Menu style. I tried finding the Autostart folder in the Start Menu, but I could not find it. I even tried accessing it by searching through my C drive (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs), and still could not find the folder Autostart. There was a folder called Startup, which was empty, but If you add programs to that folder, that program will launch after I login to Windows.
I understand what you mean by the task manager now. I only use that to end processes of unresponsive programs, potential viruses, and programs that don't close 100%. I am aware of the dangers, since I was experimenting with it last year on my old laptop and I ended a certain process. I ended up with BSOD and I had to reinstall windows because it destroyed my boot, System Restore, Advance Startup, etc.

Some Concerns:
Would it be consider cheating to play PB2 in fullscreen and resize the window? Resizing the window can allow players to see more on the horizontal/vertical view depending on how you resize it.

Summary
The Maxthon Browser fixed the problem of high RAM usage and I will use it to play PB2. However, I still don't understand why Chrome has become like this. It has not happened before, or is it because of a particular Chrome update?
Once again, thank you all to those who have posted suggestions, I am really glad to see people spare some time to help others.
Fan Fan1
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Hikarikaze » 2 January 2016, 05:40

Fan Fan1 wrote:Summary
The Maxthon Browser fixed the problem of high RAM usage and I will use it to play PB2. However, I still don't understand why Chrome has become like this. It has not happened before, or is it because of a particular Chrome update?
Once again, thank you all to those who have posted suggestions, I am really glad to see people spare some time to help others.

Flash Player update. That's why FPS drops are also on Opera as well. Adobe hasn't released a fix to it still.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Alica » 2 January 2016, 05:45

Fan Fan1 wrote:Some Concerns:
Would it be consider cheating to play PB2 in fullscreen and resize the window? Resizing the window can allow players to see more on the horizontal/vertical view depending on how you resize it.

Green light. You are fine with that since resizing it will only change the amount of details being shown (depends on your screen).
You can even play Pb2 on fullscreen in a seperate window. Would have to ask someone about the link for it cause i haven't got it to hand now.
Alica

Postby Hikarikaze » 2 January 2016, 06:02

Alica wrote:
Fan Fan1 wrote:Some Concerns:

Green light. You are fine with that since resizing it will only change the amount of details being shown (depends on your screen).
You can even play Pb2 on fullscreen in a seperate window. Would have to ask someone about the link for it cause i haven't got it to hand now.

It's not this link at all.

http://plazmaburst2.com/pb2/pb2_re34.swf

I don't know if it's right because Flash Player on Opera refuses to load (what a surprise) so I can't confirm.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Fan Fan1 » 3 January 2016, 04:39

Alright, all my questions have been solved.

Here are the final results for the best PB2 browser gameplay and RAM tolerance as of January 2, 2016:
1. Maxthon - Best --> Even more RAM can be saved when you "Pop-up" the game onto a seperate window, and then closing the PB2 Website tab
2. Internet Explorer
3. Opera
4. Google Chrome
5. Microsoft Edge - Worst --> Perhaps its only good for doing homework

As always, thank you to all for helping me solve my technical issues. I will now lock the topic using the Reply Options (If I do not have the power to lock, please have someone lock it for me. Thank you).
Fan Fan1
Cyber Grub [25]

Return to Bug Reporting Archive