Offense or Defense? What do you prefer?

Any Offtopic community discussions not related to Plazma Burst

Offense or Defense? What do you prefer?

Postby Ayano » 11 January 2018, 12:05

So I've been wondering.
What do people usually prioritize in terms of combat.
Would you rather get a Weapon which could One shot most enemies?
Or would you rather get Armor which protects you from a large amount of enemies?
I know some people would say they would want a mix of Offense and Defense just to balance themselves out.
But if you were to pick only one, which would it Be and Why?

I personally I would prioritize defense over offense.
its not simply because "the best Defense, is the best offense".
But some of the perks which comes with Defense itself.
In team based games, I could distract the enemy and take a couple of hits while my team would deal damage.
In Solo based games I tend to outlast the enemy and sometimes overthrowing them in terms of HP
Ayano

Re: Offense or Defense? What do you prefer?

Postby Green Eyed Demon » 11 January 2018, 16:50

"The best defense is a good offense"

I prefer an offensive style over a defensive one for several reasons,although both of them have their own advantages and disadvantages.I prefer raining down hell on people with an overwhelming force,I prefer using weapons that can completly destroy enemies in just a few or a single shot because curbstomping them to hell feels good,gives them a reason to make you their priority which only makes it more fun and although people will hardly respect you for completly destroying them(as seen on this game too),it will still leave a mark on their ego.Get beaten enough times and you'll start making mistakes.
Green Eyed Demon

Postby Xey » 11 January 2018, 22:16

Personally I prefer offense, something more exciting to it, especially when you catch someone off guard with a melee kill.
Xey

Postby wreak » 12 January 2018, 01:22

I don't really have a choice over the two. It really just depends on what's going on, if the enemy is aggressive or defensive. If I need to take over a spot or protect it. I wouldn't say I'm a master in any of the 2 but I am proficient at both.

but if I REALLLLLLLYYYYYY had to pick one, I would say a little bit of defense. Its frustrating as hell to die from fall damage (it's uncommon for me now) and ESPECIALLY one shots from mid range. I can understand dying from up close or really far like a sniper bullet which you could avoid the red laser but getting completely clean of your health on a superpowers map while you have poor defense and a sorry ass gun just adds to why I prefer a bit more defense. Less room for stupid errors.
wreak
wreak

Postby Zyra Xov » 12 January 2018, 22:24

I guess it depends on what phase you're on, i.e. if I'm in the beginning, and I'm a squishy, then I'd go for offense and vice versa.

But at endgame (for RTS), I'd go all-out offense.
Zyra Xov

Postby JayaRaya » 13 January 2018, 10:20

I always prefer Defense. I would only attack if someone / something attack me first, it's called "Self-defense". Something to do with my religion, nationality, and my personality.
~| JayaRaya |~
JayaRaya

Postby WolfMaster12 » 13 January 2018, 17:17

I would always prefer offense.

You can have great armor, but if you only can handle pistol, and even that poorly, then, I'm sorry, you do not have any chance to survive over a person who knows how to wield powerful weapons, such as shotguns and assault rifles.

Also, defense over offense makes most of us dumbly rely on the armor and run directly through a field (where you obviously are quickly made into Swiss cheese no matter how good armor you have), while offense over defense prioritizes your own skills and actually asks effort from you in a 16-player match in a medium-sized room as you chose a rather bad armor but strong guns and you should do your best to avoid getting surrounded, though in both preference categories are exceptions as well. This one seems to be related with some sort of mental mechanics.

Finally, my own reason is that I love to screw around with strong weapons, kill people with a 1-shot-KO weapon constantly and, if possible, blow vehicles up with one hit, especially those which have a large amount of people inside them, such as military trucks or buses.
Last edited by WolfMaster12 on 13 January 2018, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Miss the 80s? Me too. Here's a great song from 1989:

Spoiler: Show More
WolfMaster12

Postby maxim12 » 13 January 2018, 20:55

I prefer offence, It's already explained why in this thread several times^

maxim12

Postby Hikarikaze » 14 January 2018, 20:36

Pure offense or defense at their extremes always require high skill to perform good in. It's fun to run around with a 1HK weapon sometimes but it's not fun to be a glass cannon either (especially if you're super fragile). Maybe it's satisfying to get a few kills but getting killed easily diminishes that feeling over time

I'd prefer offense more but I also like balance between the two. Good offense always needs good defense. No amount of skill can substitute either forever
Hikarikaze

Postby GhostX5 » 24 January 2018, 11:16

I prefer Offense.

For me, I'd rather not rely on my HP & Armor, but instead deal with my weapon's stats when using it. I mean, I could run, selfboost and dodge bullets in PB2, but not taking bullets. I would only take bullets when someone's life is in danger, like an enemy is right in front of me, but I prefer standing between him & my teammate.

Relying on HP is indeed not a good idea for me, since we could still regenerate, but we can't regenerate when one of our body parts is shot off/ripped apart, plus lying down, crawling away until I die of bleeding or killed instantly while injured.
United Nations Space Corps ~:~ SPARTAN-187 aka Ghost-187 ~:~ Team Leader of Fireteam Shadow ~:~ Master Chief Petty Officer
Keep Moving Forward.
GhostX5

Postby Sniper J » 25 January 2018, 03:27

I'm more of an offensive person all around, since I like to move fast and sweep matches. However, I do like to play defense every now and then, especially for some 1v1s, when my opponent plays rather aggressively or I have to match their intensity. DM's I go hard so, ye.

Sniper J

Postby Lyspher » 30 January 2018, 05:53

Context dependent, naturally; moreover, the line is quite blurry when it comes to tools of trade and their offensive/defensive role: when you're raining down suppressive fire from an HMG, is that an offensive or defensive application; likewise, if you're tanking through a hit with armor in order to hit the opponent back even harder, is the armor being used defensively or offensively?

Point in case, it's not about what you're using, but how, and that is a quality of the mindset.

And to answer the question, it's mostly offense for me. I like to choke down my opponent with relentless pressure, so i don't have to worry about their own options against me - since i just won't be letting them use them. Being defensive is geared toward exploiting the opponent's mistakes, which i am not going to sit around and wait for.

Lyspher

Postby Civil-Lite » 31 January 2018, 08:25

I would choose defence, because you would have the opportunity to support your team by defending what is valuable enough for them that even needs defending. But also you are defending yourself from the enemy, just by not running straight at them and die within 3 seconds before giving the first strike. Your position in battle would most likely depend on what sort of effective weapons you have. Some people like close combat for instance, shotguns will be best for close range. Others however might go for the long range weapons, snipers would be highly efficient. When it comes to Assault rifles and all that, well, you would be glad enough you got a kill.
"Sup forever alone. Do you want to do something alive or are you just gonna sit down on your a** all day like a loser? It's simple, so just go on by and play Plazma Burst 2. Well easy!"

"Ah... Son of a..."
Civil-Lite
Janitor

Postby ustopable » 31 January 2018, 13:07

In war choosing the right time and choice in attacking and defending is a matter of life and death
If you're going for offence.
-You're launching an preemptive strike, dealing more damage than what your enemy could deal to you. Surprise attacks are always the key to success
-If you're confident you could take on their defensive area
-If there is a grand plan that will be followed
-If you're confident that you outnumber them, outsmart them or else have better fire power.
-Launching a raid to steal goods.
-If the risk pays of

If you're going for defense.
-You're outnumbered.
-Drop sites, bases, supplies and everything else needs protection.
-The enemy launched an preemptive strike.
-Waiting for reinforcement, regroup, delaying enemies, buying time for your allies, and etc.

What should be always prioritized is to know our enemy then defensive will always be prioritized but offensive is the most important thing to do.

It has been proven by Israel and even Rommel itself. Rommel learned that attacking your enemies while they are still regrouping or reorganizing will cause more damage. By going defensive you still need to switch to offensive since artillery strikes are the most dangerous enemy in defensive battles and the only way to silence those guns is to destroy them or make them run out of ammo. In Israel, Egypt planned an offensive in Israel but before they launch their air raid. Israel quickly launched an attack to deal with Egypt then when they got attacked by Syrians and Jordans they pushed it back with ease since the offensive of Egypt that could weaken Israel didn't happen.

In choice of weapons and armor, it depends on the user. I can have a rifle that could kill anybody but if I can't aim well then that gun is useless.
ustopable

Postby lrv » 31 January 2018, 14:53

Defense, since attacking others is mean. And attacking is harder than defending.
Work it harder
Make it better
Do it faster
Makes us stronger
More than ever hour
After our work is never over
lrv

Postby ECC9 » 31 January 2018, 15:07

Offense.

------------------------------------------
Discord: ECC9#6057
ECC9

Postby TerminatorRex » 31 January 2018, 17:43

I'm defensive and I find this thread offensive
TerminatorRex

Postby Max teabag » 31 January 2018, 21:37

In any game I've played, I always upgrade offense stats instead of defensive stats to the point of ridiculousness, because I want action.

But in general, it's impossible to say, because offense and defense are intertwined so you can't really have one without the other.
Max Teabag
Max teabag

Postby KARL SERG » 31 January 2018, 21:44

Offense means you can neutralize more enemies faster, thinning out their numbers and potentially increasing your chances of survival (unless they compensate for their low numbers through skill, like it usually happens). You will also become a high profile target, potentially drawing in more enemies to kill.

Being on the defensive is good as long as you heavily outclass your enemies or your offensive capabilities are limited. It also makes you a low priority target, since enemies usually go after thing that harm them more than things which resist.

I prefer offense. While it seems more egoistic at first, it beats surviving while your allies are slaughtered when you could have a say in that instead. It also makes you remember that you are fragile, while defense, may give a false impression of superiority.
KARL SERG

Postby Classical » 1 February 2018, 03:12

3 speed 1 armor for defending, 1 speed 3 armor for attacking.
Go Add me On Discord: ClassicalReborn#1671
Add me on Xbox Aswell: zydontherecon

"Its Time to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum, And im All out Of Gum"
Classical

Next

Return to Around the Campfire