Replacing PPP with PPM

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Replacing PPP with PPM

Postby iDomino » 7 June 2018, 18:40

It is apparent that the PP system upsets alot of people and makes many more of them toxic. The current system is not exactly about "skill" itself, rather about killing the right guy in order to gain a certain amount of PPP. One could just create a new account, kill the right guys and rank up further than one with a different skill level. I personally like the PPP system but I think there could be another way of ranking the best players in the world. My suggestion would be "Points per Minute". It basically consists of the Call of Duty ranking system.
A kill does 100 points, a headshot-kill 150. So why not adapt it to PB2? It is fast paced and it doesn't matter who you've killed, it all depends on the amount of people in a certain timespan to determine the PPM. Meaning that players who are doing good with killing many people and keep a certain pace at the game gain an average amount of PPM. It is way more balanced and stable. I pretty much wrote this from scratch but i think you get my point. There are so many possibilities with this system. What do you think?
my signature was really big and ugly so it got removed
iDomino
Civil Security Lite [100]

Re: Replacing PPP with PPM

Postby Green Eyed Demon » 7 June 2018, 21:39

We've gone a full circle and we're back to a system similar to KDr that can be easily farmed because most players on this game are fake like that.Congratulations
Spoiler: Show More
Green Eyed Demon

Postby iDomino » 7 June 2018, 21:44

Green Eyed Demon wrote:We've gone a full circle and we're back to a system similar to KDr that can be easily farmed because most players on this game are fake like that.Congratulations

I think Farming is less a thing that you might think it is currently. And as i Said there still are Things to be adjusted.
iDomino

Postby Eric Gurt » 7 June 2018, 21:51

iDomino wrote:
Green Eyed Demon wrote:We've gone a full circle and we're back to a system similar to KDr that can be easily farmed because most players on this game are fake like that.Congratulations

I think Farming is less a thing that you might think it is currently. And as i Said there still are Things to be adjusted.

I'd say "currently" is a keyword here. Current system was designed in a way where it meant to make farming way too obvious in cases where it can't prevent it from happening, unlike KDr/kills systems which proven to easily bring groups of players who cooperate in order to get most kills or tune their KDr slightly. Additionally PPP system favors players who play with variety players and not just isolated group.

So far I feel like current system can be renamed in future as well as few custom-made will be implemented at some point (most likely not in PB2).
Work it harder
Make it better
Do it faster
Makes us stronger
More than ever hour
After our work is never over.
Eric Gurt
PB2 Developer

Postby GZ55 » 7 June 2018, 21:53

Sounds interesting, especially the bit about head-shots counting for a higher PPM value. It forces people to rethink their aiming strategies and also favours high-density matches like sniper arenas. While this system is good, my only concern is that this system naturally requires a good amount of people playing Ranked matches at any given moment, say, a minimum of 50. I doubt it could be implemented until PB3 (which, when released, will have more than its fair share of drastic changes...)

I think the PPP system is perfectly fine, though, you just have to know when to dip. It's like blackjack, in a way.

(EDIT: After reading Eric's reply while typing this, I am interested to know how a PPM-like system could counter the issue of farming. Perhaps PPP and PPM could be "averaged out", as in the points multiplier for someone you've played against far more often will be reduced, yet ranks will still be counted based on your points per minute, with head-shots still counting more? I have no idea, I hardly understand the logistics of the whole thing.)

GZ55
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Eric Gurt » 7 June 2018, 22:04

Well, PPP actually does take kills into account, just not all the kills and is not influenced by type of particular kill. These points don't appear out of nowhere while they only decrease by portion each day.
Work it harder
Make it better
Do it faster
Makes us stronger
More than ever hour
After our work is never over.
Eric Gurt
PB2 Developer

Postby iDomino » 7 June 2018, 22:05

Yeah that is the major problem. You need a certain amount of people playing in order to make the system work. Since barely anyone actively plays ranked, nor at the same time it'd be difficult to manage, but it is a step in the right direction.
iDomino

Postby GZ55 » 8 June 2018, 03:08

I suppose making a compromise between PPP and PPM just makes it essentially PPP again. An "exchange" system, where not a lot of PPP is spontaneously generated, probably works better for a small to medium-sized player base in the end. (I notice I lose a lot more in my frag logs sometimes, despite having gained PPP by the end of the day.)

That doesn't mean I don't miss the Deadliest Players list, though. :L

GZ55
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby lostmydollar » 8 June 2018, 21:37

PP system is fine. It just needs to learn to detect pp w****s and give them some kind of punishment

What you are suggesting is just renamed kdr system. Killing noobs doesnt make you a pro
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby iDomino » 8 June 2018, 22:04

In any game there are good And worse Players. Also killing others and quit to save the earned ppp Doesnt make you a pro either. And punishing ppp whores? Elaborate on that as your pov on this seems to be rather subjective than objective, which Would be more suitable for this Kind of topic
iDomino

Postby sponge18 » 9 June 2018, 17:37

Well the new idea seems fine..except for the fact that it can easily be farmed with 2 players in a private match. I think that the PPM system should only work in public ranked matches that way you have more players to recieve more challengers there is to rank

sponge18
Recruit

Postby iDomino » 9 June 2018, 21:17

sponge18 wrote:Well the new idea seems fine..except for the fact that it can easily be farmed with 2 players in a private match. I think that the PPM system should only work in public ranked matches that way you have more players to recieve more challengers there is to rank

Call of Duty handles 1v1s by having them placed in private lobbies. So maybe disable PPM for private matches/matches with a set max amount of players of 4 and we are good to go.
iDomino

Postby Fastest » 22 June 2018, 00:13

I think the algorithim should bring K/D into the matter as people do target other players for PPP, it should decrease your collection of PP or something if you die so often in a match, so say, you kill the one dude you're targeting to gain 0.1, while everyone else takes or gives nothing, but as you do this, they all kill you a bunch to where your K/D is bad, this should decrease your PP by like, maybe half, and to prevent farming, K/D can only hurt you, and can't benefit.
Fastest
Recruit

Return to General Discussion