New approving team

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

New approving team

Postby lostmydollar » 28 May 2018, 14:17

As you know Eric is about to give the approving tool to one or few staff team members. Id just like to ask them to create a new system where everyone can put a word for or against the approval of certain maps. Just as described here: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=20470

Also I'd like them to follow the approval requirements very strictly. No stryde-sniper clones, no 300hp for players. And please do no approve too many maps. 1 map per 2 weeks/1 month is more than enough. Also it'd be really nice if you disapprove all ancient maps that do not follow the current approval requirements

If someone else has something to add to this post please do
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Re: New approving team

Postby DoomWrath » 28 May 2018, 15:58

We have plans set up to update or remove ancient maps that are no longer suitable for approval. Other things like 300hp might not be so unbalanced if it works well with the map, but won't be common at all. Remember that one of the approval guidelines is "map must be unique" so clones of existing maps with no discernible differences won't be accepted.

Maps that people have requested for approval on the forums and have a lot of feedback will be reviewed too, the community can give their say on that subforum.
DoomWrath
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Hikarikaze » 29 May 2018, 01:05

lostmydollar wrote:Also I'd like them to follow the approval requirements very strictly.

99% of mapmakers already do this; it's why most current maps are the same repetitive mess in terms of gameplay. Don't fanatically follow requirements like it's a religion and don't treat them like an all-or-nothing checklist. Not all approved maps meet all the requirements anyways.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby lostmydollar » 29 May 2018, 08:56

If you dont want to follow the current approval requirements then change them. If you're planning to break the rules then what's the point of having them anyway?
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby mrblake213 » 29 May 2018, 09:54

The map approval guide just serves a guide.
It is so that Level Editors would know what an approved map should be and what it shouldn't be.
Some approved maps does not follow any minor requirement in the guide since the overall map quality is already good and approvable to the approver's eyes.
The last decision would be based on the approver's preference if the map is approvable or not.

About your approving system, I think you basically just described on how clans handle their forum applications.
The current system is fine, in my opinion.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Hikarikaze » 29 May 2018, 22:41

lostmydollar wrote:If you dont want to follow the current approval requirements then change them. If you're planning to break the rules then what's the point of having them anyway?

First of all, how do you plan to strictly enforce a subjective requirement like "maps must be original/unique" outside the obvious "clones of maps" part? What you, the next person, and the person after that consider "original" varies and this applies to every member of an approving team. I can already see issues with agreeing on what constitutes originality

The requirements also contradict each other. You can't have an original map yet force the same exact type of overdone gameplay on them with tight standards such as 130-150 HP for example. This limits creativity and in turn limits "originality." If I see an interesting map that looks different from any other map, I expect the gameplay to be the same exact way. Otherwise it's just the same map with a different cover on it. Why approve those kinds of maps if it's just nothing more than a map that just looks nice yet plays like the rest? People can just play on the already approved maps that already feature the same type of gameplay
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby lostmydollar » 30 May 2018, 14:24

About health cap and "creativity limits"
Eric Gurt wrote:I'd say it is better to generally stick to 1-3 shot kills since current state of PB2's network connection quality would not work very well with higher values (and will turn enemies into bullet sponges).

Also higher hitpoints usually will mean shift towards "Switch between two most powerful weapons for higher DPS" strategy which is a bit less attractive (as to me) when compared to "Player with faster reflexes has chance to win if he either shoots first or dodges shots in time".

Also wall-penetrating projectiles as well as reflected shots will make no sense in high hitpoint matches.

I'd say higher hitpoints are fine while map is meant to be played in specific way. Though differences in hitpoints from map to map can be kind of unexpected for players who are trying to understand game mechanics (same I'd say about zoom scale, game speed, gravity strength, weapon damage manipulations etc).
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby Hikarikaze » 30 May 2018, 18:32

lostmydollar wrote:About health cap and "creativity limits"
Eric Gurt wrote:[...]

The quote and the requirements both don't match up and that's the issue. Eric here says it's better to stick to lower HP meaning it's a recommendation while the requirements make it mandatory to have it. Higher HP is alright if the map is played a specific way yet the requirements don't allow this. There's a disconnect here. People don't follow this quote (I doubt people even know that this was said before) as much as they do the approval requirements and it's because of everyone else treating it like a checklist word for word where it's either all or nothing for literally no good reason.

Aren't you also contradicting yourself with this quote anyways? You said "no 300 HP" for strictly enforcing the requirements in the OP yet it seems perfectly fine and allowed to have according to this quote as long as it works. You pretty much prove my point alone that following the requirements limits creativity and that it's a problem.

And you didn't answer my first point about the originality requirement.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby IcYeGodZ » 31 May 2018, 01:15

guns like the gauss rifle and heavy rail gun would be useless. since they 98% of the time kill with 130hp and 150

IcYeGodZ
Recruit

Postby ditzy » 31 May 2018, 03:53

IcYeGodZ wrote:guns like the gauss rifle and heavy rail gun would be useless. since they 98% of the time kill with 130hp and 150

The heavy rail can deal upwards of 750 damage on a headshot, so that really wouldn't be an issue. The Gauss rifle is just a heavy rail that shoots ray projectiles, so I assume that it has a similar damage output.

Even if higher health made one-shotting someone harder or even impossible, it won't necessarily be a bad thing. It promotes tactical gameplay; lower their health with a rail and finish them off with another weapon.
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
Sometimes draws ponies
ditzy
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby mrblake213 » 31 May 2018, 04:18

I think it is time for the staff to revise the Approval Guide since it doesn't match some of the current updates in the game.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Return to General Discussion