Whats Wrong With This Game?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Re: Whats Wrong With This Game?

Postby Incompetence » 14 February 2018, 01:52

high latency/ping causes it. shots/hits don't get registered quickly enough for higher ping players so it looks like they're just eating shots on your screen which is sending that registered info quicker than them

every online multiplayer game that involves a server/connected host has this problem. it's not exclusive to just pb2
Incompetence
Civil Security Heavy [300]

Postby Eric Gurt » 14 February 2018, 02:25

Sasage wrote:People eat shots all the time.

I work with what I have here. Should be better with forced "high" physics setting in ranked now. With high pings it will not work better and, in fact, it even shouldn't anyway.

Sasage wrote:Eric you should honestly fix this game. Start with what you haven't finished. http://prntscr.com/iedujg

I'd say working on 2.5/3 would be a move in better direction. Which I do.

Sasage wrote:PB3 is going to have just as many players, or worse, maybe even more. If you plan on it being a server-sided game then tell us how is it going to maintain that many players on the servers? http://prntscr.com/iedxet

There are so many obvious ways. Think it will be one of them.
Work it harder
Make it better
Do it faster
Makes us stronger
More than ever hour
After our work is never over.
Eric Gurt
PB2 Developer

Postby Incompetence » 14 February 2018, 05:01

Sasage wrote:I have a ping of 60. They have pings of
200+

that's the problem. anyone with a higher ping than you will register shots slower. on their screen, they wouldn't take damage immediately because that info hasn't been sent to the server yet. on your screen, the shot could land but because the other person hasn't acknowledged the damage loss, it would look like the person ate the shot. the shot eating becomes more noticeable when the ping gap gets higher, especially if they have a ping higher than 200+ and you don't

if the ping between both you and the player are roughly equal or the other person has a lower ping, the shot eating thing becomes more rare because both of you are sending info at the same speed so there's no delay in hit reg except when ping fluctuates and becomes less equal
Incompetence

Postby Incompetence » 14 February 2018, 05:41

Sasage wrote:Can you put it in 14 year old words please. So I can actually understand it? xD

here comes a bad example of mine

think of it like delivering mail to a house, except you do it by car (low ping) and the other person does it by walking (high ping). you both have a half of the same package

you can get the mail sent to the house faster (hit registers on your screen) and the house gets it before the other person delivers it (your hit going to the server) because you got there first. the other guy hasn't gotten his half to the house yet so the mail/message isn't complete (hit regs/damage taken on his screen). because that half isn't at the house yet cause he's slow, only your half is known (hit landed but nothing else).

now if you both do it by car (equal ping), you can get that to the destination in equal time. both halves are there and the whole thing is clear so both pieces of the message are understood: your shot landed and the other guy took damage. if the other guy takes a plane (lower ping than you), he'll register the damage right as he takes your shot. his half got to the house already so he's just waiting for you to get there now

if you both take it by car but he gets in a traffic jam (similar ping but fluctuating), it might take him a while to deliver a message so you'll have to wait before he can "take" damage after you shot him because he's not there yet to say "i got hit and i lost HP" even though you're already there saying "i shot him and he clearly got hit"
Incompetence

Postby GhostX5 » 14 February 2018, 10:58

Incompetence wrote:
Sasage wrote:Can you put it in 14 year old words please. So I can actually understand it? xD

here comes a bad example of mine

think of it like delivering mail to a house, except you do it by car (low ping) and the other person does it by walking (high ping). you both have a half of the same package

you can get the mail sent to the house faster (hit registers on your screen) and the house gets it before the other person delivers it (your hit going to the server) because you got there first. the other guy hasn't gotten his half to the house yet so the mail/message isn't complete (hit regs/damage taken on his screen). because that half isn't at the house yet cause he's slow, only your half is known (hit landed but nothing else).

now if you both do it by car (equal ping), you can get that to the destination in equal time. both halves are there and the whole thing is clear so both pieces of the message are understood: your shot landed and the other guy took damage. if the other guy takes a plane (lower ping than you), he'll register the damage right as he takes your shot. his half got to the house already so he's just waiting for you to get there now

if you both take it by car but he gets in a traffic jam (similar ping but fluctuating), it might take him a while to deliver a message so you'll have to wait before he can "take" damage after you shot him because he's not there yet to say "i got hit and i lost HP" even though you're already there saying "i shot him and he clearly got hit"

Which is exactly what he meant.

Plane = 50% Ping or lower
Car = 100% Ping or lower
On-foot = 200% Ping or higher
United Special Operations ~:~ RYZE-138 aka Ghost-138 ~:~ Leader of Alpha Team ~:~ Master Chief Petty Officer
Keep Moving Forward.
GhostX5
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Postby lrv » 14 February 2018, 12:25

There is one problem: The game file size is so big Eric can't make big updates with completly new features or the game won't run on flash anymore.
lrv
Falkok [250]

Postby mrblake213 » 14 February 2018, 14:21

The current version you see isn't permanent.
The game has been in Beta for many years now and beta means it isn't the final version to release to the public.

Instead of whining about the current state of the game, a better way to help is to actually provide valid ideas that is suitable for PB2 and the upcoming games.

Some players try to submit their fan art to be used on future updates, but of course not everyone can draw art well. Therefore the best way for you to help is to submit your own ideas/feature for the game and let other people criticize it.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Green Eyed Demon » 14 February 2018, 15:03

Sasage wrote:
mrblake213 wrote:Instead of whining about the current state of the game

Why do you hate me so much? General Discussion, if I remember. Is a place to talk about PB2 not arguments/insults from people like you.

You keep saying things like that but to be fair he's right, the fact that you only paid attention to that part of what he actually said tells me you're pretty much looking for arguments while denying it, Eric's probably trying his best to fix the eating problems however ping difference will always be there, bad connection between people's just really obvious on this game since it's 2D however I'm sure you encountered something similar on many first person shooter games(Implying you play any)
Spoiler: Show More
Green Eyed Demon
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby Green Eyed Demon » 14 February 2018, 15:11

Nobody's insulting you here you fragile snowflake, some people are genuinely trying to have a discussion with you despite you opening up the topic with cries on how bad the state of the game is, don't forget that this isn't Eric's job, it's just a hobby.Like I said,you only pay attention to the part that you feel insulted by, don't bother replying if you don't have any arguments to bring to the table other than being offended.
Spoiler: Show More
Green Eyed Demon
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby Silent Aurora » 14 February 2018, 15:16

You're pretty much taking things out of context to play the victim role and I interpreting what people are saying in a way to victimize your own self. That's what you're doing here,

Good job that you pointed out the most obvious things wrong, but I don't see you providing any sort of solution to said issues. Eric is working on It, be patient. Bombarding him with 999 issues simultanously won't achieve anything.
Silent Aurora
Silent Aurora
Heavy Marine [900]

Postby Silent Aurora » 14 February 2018, 15:27

I'll make it clear again by quoting myself:

Silent Aurora wrote:You're pretty much taking things out of context to play the victim role and I interpreting what people are saying in a way to victimize your own self. That's what you're doing here.

If you can't take criticism from other people or even have self-control over other people's opinions that differ to yours, then you shouldn't start discussions here becsuse It escalates to this.

You were the one that went offtopic by quoting something blake said out of context and acted like you got victimised. Dont reply to this as I will be dashing out warnings for anyone who goes offtopic from now on.
Silent Aurora
Silent Aurora
Heavy Marine [900]

Postby Eric Gurt » 14 February 2018, 21:24

Sasage wrote:
ZapruderFilm wrote:Fairly certain game making is just a hobby for eric.

If you think Eric is taking this game as a hobby then it really does no good to Eric of what you just said. If he thinks this game is a hobby then he wouldn't be taking our questions seriously enough, just sad. Or willing to fix the game. Just sad as that is true.

I could mention that what PB2 is now is a big step from what it was originally though I can see what you expect here. Plazma Burst 2 wasn't meant to be even what it is now and thus has just too many weak sides that can't even be improved unless game will be reorganized and remade. In addition to that, after 2020 PB2 can become even less popular as Flash Player might not find it's reborn in web and PB2 will become downloadable game. PB2.5/3 is remake that fixes all problems I'm aware of.

Sasage wrote:Nobody finds High Physics useful. All it does is make you jump lower and not be able to perform a successful boost jump. Everyone I know who plays approved maps disposables this feature.

Sure we should not count shots going through players who use low physics. This is why I tried to recreate same boost effect but for high physics. To make game more consistent and not random to any potential new player. And it would be even worse to divide community in two parts by letting set match physics setting.

Sasage wrote:Eric please. Stop using the PB3 excuse. You didn't even confirmed it yet for 100% it going to be server-sided.

I confirm PB2.5/3 to have server-side multiplayer logic. I've been saying it on twitter many times.

Sasage wrote:Sorry? I didn't get that. It seems like you just avoided my question, yet again.
Taking it back then when PB2 first came out you said Server-sided wasn't able to handle that many players playing the game. So you thought Client-Sided would be a good choice? Like why?

Idea to add multiplayer mode for Plazma Burst 2 appeared in my mind like one month before game release date that was announced. By the time I was implementing it - game simply wasn't even created with idea of such support. If I was making Plazma Burst 2 today - I would not be doing things same way. Considering Adobe's decision to remove Flash Player from browsers - I don't even see reworking old & confusing project as something that can end up being useful. Working on PB2.5/3 is better idea here.

Sasage wrote:Why if many people are saying Server-sided is so good just why?

People were not saying anything much back then really. Game wasn't even expected to have multiplayer.

Sasage wrote:How wouldn't Server-sided not been able to handle it but Client can?

Think of your computer as server, then run at least 10 instances of Plazma Burst 2 game in multiplayer (so focus loss won't trigger pause). Also make sure all of them are on same screen and you can see all of them at the same time (so they are not becoming inactive due to being offscreen). Then you'll see how bad server tick-rate would be. I don't think such server would be able to handle more than 2-3 games at acceptable tick-rate. We also could never cover enough servers with just ad revenue either.

Sasage wrote:It just makes no absolute sense to me. It is like you much rather sacrifice people from stop eating into people can eat. Just for what? To maintain people even though it was already doing that?

I actually can do one thing - switch hit registration from receiver to shooter. Then you'll see probably even worse scenarios of lag (when it does not matter if you hide behind cover in time or when you dodge shots in time, you'll basically see bullets hit nothing where your player was some time ago). It could also lead towards less obvious cheating.
Work it harder
Make it better
Do it faster
Makes us stronger
More than ever hour
After our work is never over.
Eric Gurt
PB2 Developer

Return to General Discussion