pb2 war map cliche

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

pb2 war map cliche

Postby lostmydollar » 22 December 2017, 17:50

so basically i ran into the approval section on the forum and noticed how many posters claim their maps to be very unique and they say something like "there is no other map like mine". but in fact those maps are not original. fools keep replying in those topics saying "good job. 5 stars. please approve". i don't know why they are doing this. i hope this will change with time. BUT there are a few people who actually criticize the maps. this is a good thing. but instead of thanking them for doing it, map owners start shitraining them

anyway. all those maps i'll mention later are based on very very elder map we all know - eric gurt's railwars map. the problem is that nearly half of all approved maps in pb2 have the same structure like egrw1 map. and the worst part of this issues is eric who keeps approving them. since eric does not want to get into discussion, i address this to map developers: stop creating cliche maps. symmetrical maps do not always have to have egrw1 structure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cliche map structure:
1) covered spawn zone for coop mode with a big vertical wall or complex of walls facing the middle zone of the map. sometimes you have to selfboost to access it
2) wall or complex of walls floating in the middle part of the map between the spawn zones
3) bottom zone of the map where you can either get randomly sniped from left or right side of the map (also above you) & where you can get instantly spawn killed in case if there are too many players

sometimes they can be mixed with each other, but make up a cliche map anyway

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

examples: (those are currently approved maps)

eric gurt-railwars1:

stryde-sniper:

xfrostbytex-snipezone:

lpzimm-split:

blast3r-snip3r:

tburn-raywars:

tburn-sniperwars:

chemicalx-railwars:

chemicalx-arena:

roxxar-champion:

chemicalx-raywars:

chemicalx-sniper:

isteven-dm:

scorpionkiller-raywars1:

scorpionkiller-rgw2:

... this is not a finished list

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Re: pb2 war map cliche

Postby wreak » 22 December 2017, 20:51

I would say about 80% of the maps you shown looked too similar to the egrw. Some of them like lpzimm-split didn't all look that much similar and should still be kept approve worthy.
wreak
wreak
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby Alien security heavy » 22 December 2017, 21:52

What about my only approved map (Raywars xD)
Act like you know me, but do you even know yourself?
When you got nothin’, you got nothin’ to lose.
I may have no one else to blame, but listen to me.
You and I, we were once the same.
Alien security heavy
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby Hikarikaze » 22 December 2017, 22:19

EGRW's layout is simple but effective. It has cover on the lower lanes, open space at the top for selfboosting/mobility, and wall structures that prevent spawnkilling. The layout pretty much makes the map automatically for people and eliminates 90% of the work needed on behalf of the mapmaker

A lot of maps share the general layout of EGRW because it simply works without being complex. There's no need to switch to a different layout when this one solves a handful of problems. That's the main issue here
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby lpzimm » 23 December 2017, 02:24

I've always called it the bowl-shape. I can see where you're coming from, but... these maps don't play the same. Maybe the snipers do, but really egrw1, snipers, and arena maps are going to be played completely differently.

To defend my own map while wallowing in my self- righteousness, my map was an attempt at a different idea, the trampoline. I don't think it worked to complete success and I might remake it, but the dynamic of the map is fairly unique to the other maps you've mentioned.
lpzimm
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Return to General Discussion