new approving system doesnt work?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

new approving system doesnt work?

Postby lostmydollar » 7 November 2017, 08:39

I dont get it. The new approving system was implemented yesterday yet staff already fail to follow their own rules?
There was a topic named ".:Dariy-Monument:.". Instead of locking it and issuing a warning for breaking the rules of the section unknown staff member decided to rename it to make it match the rules. Dariy himself said he read the rules, so whats the fu*king deal here? He decided to not follow them to give more attention to his map with that name. Do something about. Dont just close your eyes and silently rename it for him

Topic has 0 replies and instead of waiting for them to come this unknown staff member (probably doom tho) decides to approve the map instantly. What the hell? How does it make any difference from the old approving system where eric just picks a random crap map and puts an approval flag on it? Not to say that i hate this map or hate dariy but all i want is to make this new approving system be actually NEW. Please do not break your own rules staff. And please LET the community decide is the map worthy of approval or not. Give community time to leave feedbacks. Dont just approve maps because "oo i have an approving power and i think das map iz good le me just approve it because i want to lol".
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Re: new approving system doesnt work?

Postby Slashdown » 7 November 2017, 12:48

There is a criteria for getting your map approved, it needs to be somewhat original, fair and not have any exploits/ ways to camp and spam.

Slashdown
Recruit

Postby Dandamage » 7 November 2017, 17:23

"I dont get it. The new approving system was implemented yesterday yet staff already fail to follow their own rules?"

I can't find exactly what rule is being broken here.

"He decided to not follow them to give more attention to his map with that name. Do something about. Dont just close your eyes and silently rename it for him"

There is a bunch of announcement topics on top of the map approval section explaining precisely why this new system was implemented, why it must be like that and what would happen in case those rules weren't followed.

The following image is a part of the copy of the mentioned announcement topic.

The point of the new system is to basically give more space to anyone trying to get the map approved instead of just messaging admins about it by making it more of a public thing, so people could comment on ways to improve the map or in case the map doesn't make it to the approved list, suggestions to make it approved later.

Whoever did that did a favor to the map creator and if that person closed their eyes as you said, it would probably not be simply edited. It could be removed for not following the template, but that staff member decided it would be best to just edit it out since it would cause trouble to type everything all over again, plus I'm sure it was only reorganized and nothing from the information of the map itself was affected, not to mention the map ended up getting approved and the owner ended up with a raise in the LDR for the good work.

"Topic has 0 replies and instead of waiting for them to come this unknown staff member (probably doom tho) decides to approve the map instantly."

Sometimes the map is already balanced, reasonably unique and fair enough for it to be approved quickly, so not much discussion was put in this specific topic, but if you really think this map should not be approved you can make an edit/removal request at the same section of the forum.

"Give community time to leave feedbacks."

I actually have to agree here since the topic was created in day 11/06 (current date as I type this is 11/07) so I will definitely take this to whoever was responsible for this to make sure the best interest of everyone was taken in consideration.

So I can definitely see why you are bothered, but it was explained thoroughly for anyone with time to read the announcements. I will make sure your suggestions are taken to the rest of the staff team, thank you.
Dandamage
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby DoomWrath » 7 November 2017, 19:15

"Topic has 0 replies and instead of waiting for them to come this unknown staff member (probably doom tho) decides to approve the map instantly."

Only Eric can approve maps. In future, please refrain from making comments that you cannot prove as fact.

Mod logs do not show conclusively that the topic was edited by a staff member. Dairy himself could have edited his title.

Otherwise, Dan has summed this up nicely.
DoomWrath
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby lostmydollar » 7 November 2017, 19:24

DoomWrath wrote:"Topic has 0 replies and instead of waiting for them to come this unknown staff member (probably doom tho) decides to approve the map instantly."

Only Eric can approve maps. In future, please refrain from making comments that you cannot prove as fact.

Mod logs do not show conclusively that the topic was edited by a staff member. Dairy himself could have edited his title.

Otherwise, Dan has summed this up nicely.

sorry for mentioning you in that sentence. thought eric gave a site tool to one of you. and if there is someone to give that power to that would of been you.

so basically this is not a "new approval system". this is just a maps section for eric to check from time to time...fantastic. very disappointed.
lostmydollar
Falkok [250]

Postby Hikarikaze » 8 November 2017, 05:14

This "system" just came out so I expect issues like lack of community feedback time to crop up until it gradually goes away

Community feedback is going to be worrisome though. The amount of people that know a good and balanced map when they see one is very low. Even the criteria is mainly subjective

Dandamage wrote:The point of the new system is to basically give more space to anyone trying to get the map approved instead of just messaging admins about it by making it more of a public thing, so people could comment on ways to improve the map or in case the map doesn't make it to the approved list, suggestions to make it approved later.

What's the point if Eric is the only one that can approve maps so far and the people you're trying to get the attention of are going to eventually notice an approval request, private or public, anyways? To me, it just sounds like the same old process but publicized. The only positive I can see is that it gives more room for feedback since more people are theoretically involved (vs just the A to B conversation among the map creator and Eric/anyone the request is sent to).

However, feedback can just be given on a topic regarding the map in the MP maps section so again, what's the point and what's the difference between what we had then and what we have now? All this is is just a C side to an A to B conversation.
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby ZapruderFilm » 8 November 2017, 06:14

Hikarikaze wrote:snip

The difference is people aren't distracting Eric with map requests. People who didn't know how to get approved, now can get their map on the table.
If everyone has a problem with the new system, I'm sure all the staff wouldn't mind scrapping it and going back to the old one.
Edit: I'd also like to point out staff don't get to pick how Eric runs his website, and neither does anyone else. If Eric sees fit, he'll give someone the ability to approve maps.
As of right now, he doesn't. And that's fine with me, because he knows map making better than anyone else.
ZapruderFilm

Left PB2 Staff to join Dark Clan.

ZapruderFilm
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby DoomWrath » 8 November 2017, 06:38

As the original forum post said:

DoomWrath wrote:Hello Community!

We are allowing players to submit map approval requests via the forums.

Check out this forum section: viewforum.php?f=166

Please read and check the section thoroughly if you wish to submit a request, and please do not message staff members about map approvals. Use only the forum section.

Thank you,
Doomzerker, and the Plazma Burst Team

All we've done is allow people to request that their map is approved. I don't understand why there should be any fuss over the new forum section, but I appreciate people staying civil so far.

1: This is a simple forum-based system so people can request maps instead of the site saying "never message staff" and some people who may deserve approvals never seeking it, and others messaging Eric via other platforms and getting approvals very quickly.

2: It's free, it's an extra that you didn't pay for, it's an extra that you don't have to use, and it's better than the previous "system" of Eric approving maps either he finds by chance, or that people beg him to approve. It gives a chance for staff/community members to give input on the approval request that can help Eric to make a choice on approving the map.

3: It also helps determine whether having the community be a part of the map approval process (however small) is something worthwhile, either for implementing in future on PB2 or PB2.5/PB3.

Is it ideal? No. Is it the best system ever? Also no. But is it potentially a better system than previously? I believe so. At the very least opening up approval requests won't be any worse than just having the same requests go to Eric/Staffs' inboxes.
DoomWrath
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Return to General Discussion