Voting System Future Update

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Voting System Future Update

Postby JayaRaya » 22 October 2017, 10:33

For the past few weeks, i've been thinking about the current map-voting system that PB2 has. Is related to some certain issues that Map-makers had to experiences. Let's begin this discussions.

====================================================================================================

===== Rage Voters (Unfair Voting) =====
From the looks of it, this is become one of the known problem. Especially the fact that certain players in the community have become toxic (immature) towards others. When a map developer published its new fun maps to be played & gained a number of good votes by the majority people, then some players rate it with only 1 star with no good reason.

Theres nothing wrong with the 1 star vote. But the wrong thing is when someone rate your map 1 star, and we have zero idea why the map deserve 1 star in the first place. Because they rate it without even tell or critizes the map that we made. It's only logical when a jury rate other people's work, later on he will give some impression or critics about it. As a way to motivate them to become better.

I mean really, " You just rated 1 star on my map ?! At Least tell me the reason why my map is so bad for you, so i can improve it! ".

Some people would say : " Oh you can just report the player that do Rage Voting, so the Staffs can warned / banned that person ".

I agree that this is one of a way to stop the Rage Voters. but in my opinion, this hasn't fully prevent the problem.

Even if the Rage Voters has been banned from the game site, the effect of its Rage Voting (1 star) is still affecting the LDr (Level Developing rank) player points. LDr has almost the same way as how KDr (Kill Death ratio) works. Kill points divided by death points. But in this case, the total of 5 stars votes gets reduced by the number of either 1, 2, 3, or 4 stars votes. And since's the Rage Voters always rate your maps 1 star, it reduces your LDr quite drastic. Even if your friends gave you 5 stars votes, in a way to increase your LDr back again, it's still needs more votes that is gotta take some time for returned to the previous LDr points.

And i would imagine if the Rage Voters used a multiple alt accounts to rate maps unfairly. Like how many LDr points that you have, would get reduced drastically if that happens.

For a Mapmaker that is only making maps for fun & completely doesn't care about the LDr points, they would just ignored this problem. But im sure, to any competitive Mapmakers that is making maps not just for fun, but also as a way of a map making competition to try get into the " Top Level Developers " list, they would focused on making more good maps to increase their LDr points. Makes senses why certain competitive Mapmakers dislike Rage Voters so much.

Seriously, " I spending 2 weeks to make that map, and you just rate it 1 star without even adviced or critize it! ". Or, " Why an earth, you rated that popular map for only 1 star without any GOOD REASON ".

I recommend of a Voting-Comment system, so you both rated the map & giving away an advices, impressions, or critics on a comment about the map, to motivate the Mapmakers to improve their map developing skills. Is like, "Giving stars to a map freely without any reason" into become "Giving stars to a map fairly with a good reason".
And if the person write an pointless comment about it, you can easily report it.

For Example :

http://prntscr.com/h0g8za
http://prntscr.com/h0g9td

===== Permanent Star Votes =====
This just my opinion about it. Correct me if i'm wrong.

When a person fairly rate your map 3 stars. And few months later, you update it & the map is much more better then previously, that person couldn't change its previous 3 stars vote due of a reason " Message can't be sent. You can't vote twice on this map ". And this also related to the 1 star Rage Voting, it permanently stays there. Affecting the whole LDr that you have.

Again, this is just my opinion. If you guys are supporting the idea of a Voting-Changes, when you will be able to change your previous votes on a map. Or an idea where the Staffs can delete the 1 star Rage Voting, let me know.

====================================================================================================

The point is, im looking forward for a better map-voting system in the future. Probally either at PB2 or PB2.5. This problem should be solved one way or another. To make any Map-makers feels much more comfortable when their maps are being rated fairly, but also get either advices or critics on their maps to motivate them.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
What you guys opinion about this ? Let me know in the nice comments below. ~ Regards :thank:
Last edited by JayaRaya on 23 October 2017, 11:51, edited 3 times in total.
"Always repent and rectify any mistakes that you have been done."

Spoiler: Show More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OMD_LSELAM
JayaRaya
Civil Security Lite [100]

Re: Voting System Future Update

Postby xgek » 22 October 2017, 11:16

I do like the Idea of having a system in where you can change your vote after an update. It really may help a map maker by getting the votes that he/she needs after every update.

About the Comment + Rate
One can just say and vote
"Lol this is just Trash." And do the usual 1 Star vote.
So this really needs a bit of tweaking.
xgek
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby darkstar 1 » 22 October 2017, 11:38

There should be something where you can rate multiple aspects of the map, for example: gameplay-4 stars, visuals-5 stars, triggerwork-3 stars, ... and the total score of the map would be calculated based on these.

Maybe also some official mapmaking contests where the winners could gain additional ldr or something (for a certain amount of time?).

darkstar 1
Proxy [700]

Postby Ghost Killer823 » 22 October 2017, 21:50

Yeah, screw the rage voters!

Its why I create custom series that are ridicously easy at this point, as people cannot endure maps with too much difficulty and level length these days. Gets too annoying after awhile.
Ghost Killer823

Postby AI Robot » 23 October 2017, 05:52

I support of the system but I would like it to have premade reasons
You thought you were going to see something here?
AI Robot

Postby JayaRaya » 23 October 2017, 12:45

xgek wrote:About the Comment + Rate
One can just say and vote
"Lol this is just Trash." And do the usual 1 Star vote.
So this really needs a bit of tweaking.

The reason itself must be legit & makes sense.

This is an example of a good vote & comment :
" The map still need a lot of work, try to added backgrounds & more guns. Also fix the spawn by using Pusher Area, increase the HP of each players, and make the map much more bigger. " - Rated 1 star

This is an example of a pointless (raging) vote & comment :
" This map is Trash! " - Rated 1 star

JayaRaya wrote:And if the person write an pointless comment about it, you can easily report it.

But like you said, i agree that it needs a bit of tweaking. If any persons have any better ideas to improve it, that would be appreciated.

darkstar 1 wrote:There should be something where you can rate multiple aspects of the map, for example: gameplay-4 stars, visuals-5 stars, triggerwork-3 stars, ... and the total score of the map would be calculated based on these.

Maybe also some official mapmaking contests where the winners could gain additional ldr or something (for a certain amount of time?).

Rated each aspects of the map (multiple votes), instead of rated the whole map in 1 vote. Thats actually a good idea. I would like to see if this idea can get implemented too. And about the official mapmaking contests, thats should be fun. If the community would agree to prepared an official Plazma Burst event about it, kinda like the PL (Power League) competition.

Ghost Killer823 wrote:Yeah, screw the rage voters!

Its why I create custom series that are ridicously easy at this point, as people cannot endure maps with too much difficulty and level length these days. Gets too annoying after awhile.

Exactly. The Rage Voters are just being absolute ignorant hypocrite to the official rule about rating maps fairly.

Plazma Burst Code of Conduct (Site - 4.2.1) :
Do not rate maps unfairly, for example rating without playing the map first, or voting only to lower a player's LDR out of spite (rage-voting).

You shouldn't just rate someone's maps 1 star for no good reason. You know, at least some advices or critics would be very nice. Give a respect to the Mapmakers that have spend many hours, days, or even weeks making a SP (Singleplayer) or MP (Multiplayer) maps to be played by many players.

AI Robot wrote:I support of the system but I would like it to have premade reasons

Good & legit reasons :)

JayaRaya

Postby mrblake213 » 24 October 2017, 10:17

I think the only people who should be able to rate are those who makes map.

Why?
because you cannot judge a map if you do not know how to make one.

Why judge something if you cannot even make your own.

And for the mapmaking contests, it has been done before like Map of the Month and the result was inactivity.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Civil_Boss » 26 October 2017, 12:55

It happens to me... a lot...

And if anyone remembers, I made a topic about a user called Super Brian, which he rated all of my maps 1* without constructive criticism
Why don't YOU edit my signature?
Civil_Boss
Usurpation Soldier [50]

Postby Ayano » 26 October 2017, 13:21

mrblake213 wrote:I think the only people who should be able to rate are those who makes maps.

What about those players who don't make maps?
I am sure that there are some players out there who rate fairly and at the same time don't make maps.
I would probably be one of them
Ayano
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby Hikarikaze » 26 October 2017, 23:04

mrblake213 wrote:I think the only people who should be able to rate are those who makes map.
Why?
because you cannot judge a map if you do not know how to make one.
Why judge something if you cannot even make your own.

That's just silly in my opinion. Being a mapmaker just gives a position of credibility but it doesn't form an opinion for you. You can judge a map without knowing how to make one by playing the map itself and commenting from that perspective. It's even better if you know what you're talking about but again, you don't need to make maps for that
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby mrblake213 » 27 October 2017, 02:53

Well, I don't know.
I just think that if you critique someone, you need to have a broad knowledge about it.

That's like complaining to the President of your country even if you don't have the guts to run for it / doesn't even have the experience of what's it like.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Hikarikaze » 27 October 2017, 03:08

mrblake213 wrote:Well, I don't know.
I just think that if you critique someone, you need to have a broad knowledge about it.

That's like complaining to the President of your country even if you don't have the guts to run for it / doesn't even have the experience of what's it like.

You necessarily don't have to have a broad knowledge on a specific topic in order to critique it. There's other perspectives that exist aside from those of map creators so it's better to be more open-minded in terms of who gets a say in voting and who doesn't.

If you want a simple analogy, think companies (map makers), their products (maps), and the consumers (players). The consumers can criticize the product that they received based on performance and quality without having knowledge on how to make the product. Plus map developers need as many opinions as they can to help grow their skills because an opinion is always subjective and map makers aren't always the best source of opinions. Sometimes it's better to explore other perspectives and find answers from there. You don't want to isolate who gets to say their opinions because there's a chance you might be blocking off good opinions from those excluded

For your president example, you can criticize the president on how a country is being run without having knowledge on how to run the country itself. Having knowledge just make you more credible on a subject but it's not necessarily a requirement for criticism. Ignorance does exist after all
Hikarikaze
Noir Lime [600]

Postby Purple Monster » 27 October 2017, 03:37

mrblake213 wrote:Well, I don't know.

Map makers may be biased, especially taking into account a user's level developer rank, they may purposely vote lower than the map quality suggests.

It also doesn't take much for a person to become a map developer - the question is whether they are good or not. Anyone can simply drag a wall and add some players and call it a map. Would that qualify as a map maker?

Additionally, not all people who only play maps and have no experience making maps are going to rate a map poorly, so long as the map isn't extremely unfair or unplayable.

Purple Monster
Recruit

Postby JayaRaya » 28 October 2017, 12:37

Civil_Boss wrote:It happens to me... a lot...

And if anyone remembers, I made a topic about a user called Super Brian, which he rated all of my maps 1* without constructive criticism

Sorry for you buddy, this is exactly why i create this topic with my ideas or anyone else suggestions about the map-voting system.

===============================================================================================

As for Mrblake213 opinions, i'm glad there's some legit explanations from Ayano, Hikarikaze, & Purple Monster about it. As i would gratefully read & learning a knowledges that you guys provide.

Again, if anyone else support, or have another ideas for a future update of the map-voting system to prevent further Rage Voting. Let me know.

JayaRaya

Return to General Discussion