is symmetry a drawback?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

is symmetry a drawback?

Postby Terror Only » 31 March 2017, 15:00

is symmetry a drawback of the combat (approved/non-approved) map? i think it is but i'd like to hear it from you.

all those "it makes the map fair for both teams" excuse is lame. you all know that. if you put enough effort into assymetrical map you will realize there is a better option to make the map meet both teams' expectations of fairness

what do you think?
Terror Only
Falkok [250]

Re: is symmetry a drawback?

Postby WolfMaster12 » 31 March 2017, 19:26

Totally agree. Building such map is not too hard though... You only need to put a kit of guns that fits best with map (same kit of guns may not fit for all maps) and put areas that give both teams advantage.
More cheese for the sir over here!
WolfMaster12
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby Krutz » 31 March 2017, 20:16

a "drawback of the combat map"? im not really exactly sure what the question is because its evident that that one is not the one which you mean

im assuming that youre claiming that symmetrical maps are generally worse than asymmetrical maps, which i dont agree with

objectively, symmetrical maps 100% guarantee "fairness" between the teams in terms of map opportunities. asymmetrical maps can theoretically approach the same feature, but "fairness" is not guaranteed and the distance from that "fairness" is entirely in the map maker's hands—which sometimes is not a good thing, because, i.e., the map maker isnt experienced

i think that asymmetrical maps are capable of thematically achieving more (i.e., simulating a real-life place) and thus can be more interesting, but symmetrical maps dont suffer much in that sense nonetheless and the sense of "fairness" is absolute, adamantine, and incontestable by asymmetrical maps

edit:
i think it may be important to tag on that not all asymmetrical maps are destined to be balanced horizontally because of the concern for team-team fairness. it may instead be balanced with deathmatch in mind—and the map then may be "unbalanced" or rather more "concentrated" (in terms of regional influence) through other means

consider eric gurt-level1_mp (the old version). the fortress atop the hill near the center of the map clearly causes balance problems between zeta and the usurpation forces, but less so in deathmatch and not coop

Krutz
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby Pythonn » 31 March 2017, 20:37

I'd say an up vs down kind of map would be unfair tho

Pythonn
Recruit

Postby DoomWrath » 31 March 2017, 21:38

Not a drawback, per say, but it's important to have both symmetrical and asymmetrical maps in the approved list to give people the chance to play their favourites. Each have their advantages.

Symmetrical maps are the easiest way to ensure Co-Op and TDM games are as fair as possible, so these are better for hyper-competitive matches, 1v1s, etc.

Asymmetrical maps are in my opinion more fun to play in DM and TDM mode as you have double the unique terrain compared to a symmetrical map, which gives more variety, and therefore more varied combat situations. My personal preference goes to asymmetry as I am not a competitive player.
DoomWrath
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby WolfMaster12 » 31 March 2017, 21:56

DoomWrath wrote:Not a drawback, per say, but it's important to have both symmetrical and asymmetrical maps in the approved list to give people the chance to play their favourites. Each have their advantages.

Symmetrical maps are the easiest way to ensure Co-Op and TDM games are as fair as possible, so these are better for hyper-competitive matches, 1v1s, etc.

Asymmetrical maps are in my opinion more fun to play in DM and TDM mode as you have double the unique terrain compared to a symmetrical map, which gives more variety, and therefore more varied combat situations. My personal preference goes to asymmetry as I am not a competitive player.

Same.
More cheese for the sir over here!
WolfMaster12
Civil Security Lite [100]

Postby Krutz » 1 April 2017, 17:11

Pythonn wrote:I'd say an up vs down kind of map would be unfair tho

its good that you mention that because its true

the team that spawns above the other will likely constantly have headshot angles and pose few headshot angles to their enemies

other than damage mechanics, you can also spot someone below you from a shorter distance (because of hp bar + name) than spot someone above you—meaning that its possible that someone can see you yet you cannot see them

maps built this way are a topic in their own and unless theyre heavily edited with teleportation systems, they dont feel fair to play in at a competitive level

Krutz

Postby xChakra » 5 April 2017, 20:07

Symmetrical maps tend to be more skill-based, and tend to have more tricks/megaboosts to them. Also areas where you can snipe where you know people usually are. Asymmetry provides something that's different... but at the end of the day that's all it is.
[sarcasm] Yeah... Sure[/sarcasm]
Spoiler: Show More
xChakra

Postby mrblake213 » 6 April 2017, 02:14

in other words

symmetrical approved maps = best for teams (COOP)
asymmetrical approved maps = best for DM/TDM
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Return to General Discussion