FAQ: Why is 'XYZ' not implemented into PB2/2.5?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

FAQ: Why is 'XYZ' not implemented into PB2/2.5?

Postby DoomWrath » 26 September 2016, 06:05

There are always recurring suggestions for PB2/PB2.5, so before making suggestions, please take a read through.

Can we have an Asia Server for PB2?

Spoiler: Show More
Unfortunately, almost certainly no.

PB2 does not, and likely will not have an Asia server. Servers to run the game cost a lot of money to hire, which is currently not being supplied to Coolbuddy (PB2's Sponsor) by the advertisements on site. Perhaps if more traffic was inbound from Asia, an Asian server would be considered.

Server locations for PB2.5 are not currently confirmed.

Why can't we have custom sounds for the level editor?

The main problem with this would be the server space and bandwidth required for this feature.

Let's say 100,000 players create maps with custom sounds. Let's say all of them upload 500Kb of sound files each, per map, which comes to 50000MB, or 50GB of sound files. These all have to be sorted into a database somewhere, which will continue to grow as more maps are made.

Now what if those users make 5 maps each? That's 250GB of space on the server hosting PB2.5 used - and that's 250GB of files that need accessing and searching every single time a map with a custom sound is played. This will add significant load to the 2.5 server, which will slow down the site and game loading. To compensate, a larger, more expensive server will have to be used - all just due to sound files.

Then on top of that, these files will have to be uploaded, then downloaded every single time the map is played, this will vastly increase the waiting times when loading into an MP match with custom sounds, or loading an SP map. The sheer amount of people downloading sound files from that server at once would consume an incredible amount of bandwidth. It is simply not cost effective to dedicate such a large amount of server resources purely to custom sound files for custom maps.

Another reason is abuse, if large files were permitted, players could upload offensive or abusive sound files such as recordings of insults or offensive language. Moderating custom sounds would be a highly tedious task, and would require a high volume of manpower.

Can you add a Flamethrower to the game?

Currently it appears as if a flamethrower will not be added to PB2, this is due to series development being weighted towards the next game, PB2.5.

Yes, we know you want a flamethrower in the game, we heard you the first hundred times, and we'd like one too. Whether one appears in PB2 or PB2.5 is not confirmed.

Can PB2.5 or PB3 be in 3D?

PB2.5 will be set in 2.5D, a variant of 2D, with 3D-like effects. As far as is known, the Plazma Burst series will not be produced in anything other than with a 2D base, as changing to 3D would create a game too far detached from the rest of the series in terms of playstyle, artwork, and game engine.

Please note: Information here is not 100% sourced or fact checked, and is based off information believed to be correct at the time of writing. If any information here is misleading or incorrect, please contact me and I will happily amend it.
DoomWrath
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Re: FAQ: Why is 'X' not implemented into PB2/2.5?

Postby pixelbyte » 26 September 2016, 13:55

When I read the title I thought you couldn't fall in PB2.5 anymore, lol.

Well, thanks for answering this doom :D

pixelbyte

Re: FAQ: Why is 'X' not implemented into PB2/2.5?

Postby KARL SERG » 26 September 2016, 17:10

I initially thought the title meant that the effect of the X key would not be implememnted in PB2,5.

Either way, it was helpful. The last part was my favorite, since it wasn't fact checked (facts aren't always reliable). Thank you for clearing these misunderstandings.
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Re: FAQ: Why is 'XYZ' not implemented into PB2/2.5?

Postby DoomWrath » 26 September 2016, 23:20

I've changed the title to prevent misunderstandings - that was not intentional :P
DoomWrath
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby maxim12 » 1 October 2016, 19:48

Damn it! I really so much wanted to add my own custom sounds and own combat music for my maps. :(

maxim12
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby GhostX5 » 9 October 2016, 09:34

Welp, the problem is, someone might add inappropriate sounds in it. I was also thinking about it, but now I realized it can be abused.
GhostX5
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Return to General Discussion