Overrated and Underrated Maps

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

Overrated and Underrated Maps

Postby Dandamage » 22 April 2016, 12:12

It's no secret that there are still some pretty good custom mappers around the site who are not famous and some pretty messed up roleplay maps that are famous. It is kind of sad to see that a well made map becomes ignored while those gunshop maps that take two minutes to make become so popular (I truly do not have anything against people who like those maps, I only don't like the map itself and what they are used for). There is a reason to that, of course, since people like those maps, they get good ratings and become popular, but I don't see the same with, for example, an approved map. The standards are low. When you make a common map, you might get the same ratings as "gnushop delta base god included".

It feels like if you fail to make a character with more than 500 health, with overpowered guns scattered across the map or a roleplay map, you might get low ratings because "there is no health", "stupid map", "too hard", or for apparently no reason. I personally try to search around for good maps and rate and comment as much as I can, to motivate the level developer with suggestions and help keep the good map makers alive, but it is getting hard to be popular merely by making good maps and advertising them occasionally (to not be annoying).

What are your opinions?
What can we do to fix this?
Do you agree with what I said or disagree for some reason?

*Also note that the definition of "good map makers" may vary.
*Try to forget PB 2.5, it is not the solution to every problem.
Dandamage
Android T-01187 [200]

My opinions and other

Postby TheEpicWarrior13 » 22 April 2016, 12:31

My Opinion(s)

Hmm, we could fix this by telling some people to rate it. (friends and other) (I feel like its my worst opinion but i dont know.) I dont know if this is bad to tell someone to do so... Some people who rate poorly made maps are
trolls
as i think.

So far i think people should rate better made maps. Its just not fair!

TheEpicWarrior13
Recruit

Re: Overrated and Underrated Maps

Postby ustopable » 22 April 2016, 14:32

How to fix this well the only way your map to appear on the custom map list is to become popular which totally way off since some Level Developers just sit there and watch their maps get rated but if they don't get any rates well probably they will quit map making

My idea is make a list of newly published maps for the day
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby prophunt » 22 April 2016, 14:50

ustopable wrote:How to fix this well the only way your map to appear on the custom map list is to become popular which totally way off since some Level Developers just sit there and watch their maps get rated but if they don't get any rates well probably they will quit map making

My idea is make a list of newly published maps for the day

I still see maps in "new popular maps" that are from years ago.

prophunt
Recruit

Postby oraclehunter » 22 April 2016, 16:33

This is basically my rant lmfao.
oraclehunter
Cyber Grub [25]

Postby ustopable » 22 April 2016, 17:35

Thats why lets make new
Newly published map page
ustopable
Phoenix Falkok [450]

Postby darkstar 1 » 22 April 2016, 18:28

ustopable wrote:Thats why lets make new
Newly published map page

Just a list with new maps wont help that much, it must be visible for everyone at first sight on the website.
If they have to search for those maps, they will probably do nothing to find it .-.

darkstar 1
Proxy [700]

Postby assasinguy » 22 April 2016, 22:11

Well ... if people like a map then it will become popular and it will be well-received, the fact that roleplay and base maps are so popular in PB2 says that the majority of the community likes them. Now you're thinking "but everyone on the forums is against them" ... But the majority of players have never touched the forums. Although it's not to the liking of a lot of us or even myself, I wouldn't call it a problem that those maps are popular.

Anyways ... I still have maps which I personally view as overrated and underrated.

Overrated:
- stryde-sniper
- matrixsnipers (I can't remember the full ID)

Underrated:
- Ok this isn't personal promo ... maybe it is, but my SP series could do with some more recognition.
- gajacar25-sniperworld is simple but a lot of fun, I used to play for hours on that.
- mariosonicv-raywars, if that's the correct ID, is an incredible map.
assasinguy
assasinguy
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby Dandamage » 23 April 2016, 01:17

assasinguy wrote:Well ... if people like a map then it will become popular and it will be well-received, the fact that roleplay and base maps are so popular in PB2 says that the majority of the community likes them. Now you're thinking "but everyone on the forums is against them" ... But the majority of players have never touched the forums. Although it's not to the liking of a lot of us or even myself, I wouldn't call it a problem that those maps are popular.

Anyways ... I still have maps which I personally view as overrated and underrated.

Overrated:
- stryde-sniper
- matrixsnipers (I can't remember the full ID)

Underrated:
- Ok this isn't personal promo ... maybe it is, but my SP series could do with some more recognition.
- gajacar25-sniperworld is simple but a lot of fun, I used to play for hours on that.
- mariosonicv-raywars, if that's the correct ID, is an incredible map.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say there. There are many maps that deserve some recognition and are brilliant. Seriously, the first thing I noticed when I saw the level developers of this website was the dedication to do something without expecting something back, and I think it's about time to reward those people for the effort.

Not saying that other maps don't deserve to be popular, but I think there should more people "caring" about it. It just doesn't seem fair enough.

Don't pull that "life is unfair" crap.
Dandamage
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby mrblake213 » 23 April 2016, 01:31

Well most of the roleplay maps that are famous now are "old" or it was created when there were many people to rate the map.

Most of the maps now don't get that much rate because of the lack of activity of the community.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby wreak » 23 April 2016, 02:18

*cough cough meh maps* wait what?!

jk most of the goods maps now aren't popular since the community is small af.
wreak
wreak
Civil Security Boss [500]

Postby Dandamage » 23 April 2016, 03:14

The thing is, normally when people play a game like Plazma Burst 2, they expect something; a nice 2D shooting flash game that has a competitive tone to it because of the multiplayer. When you join the multiplayer matches one of the first impressions is that custom maps are actually a bunch of "those" maps. Newcomers may see the game in a way that we don't want, and for people seeking what they expect, that can be quite disappointing.

Imagine this. You are looking for a game like Strike Force Heroes or Raze right? A game about shooting, killing, and more shooting too. You see this game at the most played list. It is Plazma Burst 2. Oh my God I have to try it out. They even have a website with multiplayer? Can't wait to try it out! Oh wow. Really? This is the type of map in this game?...

Meh. I'll go play Raze.
Dandamage
Android T-01187 [200]

Postby mrblake213 » 23 April 2016, 05:34

Sorry. I don't know the game "Raze"

but does players have the democracy to make their own maps or levels on "Raze"?
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby Krutz » 23 April 2016, 05:40

mrblake213 wrote:but does players have the democracy to make their own maps or levels on "Raze"?

i dont think you know what "democracy" means

dandamage is trying to say that players are dissuaded by the unexpected casually themed maps in pb2

do i myself agree with that? not really; i also think that statement is a bit weak, considering those maps are and have been relatively loved and pb2 has a significantly favored distinction (which is relevant to what blake said) over raze: multiplayer

when i first started playing, i didnt necessarily like the gunshop/school/etc type of shit map, but i wasnt discouraged from sticking around because of the sole fact that its not the only type of shit map

i.e., theres the "competitive" (shooty) side of pb2 that existed and is still existing

not sure if im effectively getting my point across

Krutz
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]

Postby mrblake213 » 23 April 2016, 12:30

I meant if Raze players have the right to make their own maps freely without any theme or regulations.
Map makers here in PB2 have the democracy to make what they want... the limit is their imagination.

Look at Happy Wheels, it is a random and fun game but it could be transformed into a shooting game/racing game/other type of games.
[center] [/center]
mrblake213
Proxy [700]

Postby wreak » 23 April 2016, 18:07

Most map makers don't make competitive maps or single player because it usually gets a very low amount of rates like 2 or 3. The community preferred this roleplay form of gaming anyways but I do see what Damdamage is trying to say.
wreak
wreak

Postby assasinguy » 24 April 2016, 21:11

Every mapmaker has the same options available to promote their maps, it's partly about how hard they try to actually get their maps known. Forums, chat, making matches in MP, or just asking friends to test the map are means which are available to everyone.
assasinguy
assasinguy
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Postby wreak » 17 May 2016, 22:53

assasinguy wrote:Every mapmaker has the same options available to promote their maps, it's partly about how hard they try to actually get their maps known. Forums, chat, making matches in MP, or just asking friends to test the map are means which are available to everyone.

Yeah but some map makers don't even have to advertise a map to get a really decent amount of votes let alone them advertising it at their best. I feel bad for some map makers that advertise on the forum,chat and game and barely touch the "average" amount of votes.
wreak

Return to General Discussion