What is considered Advertising?

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series!

What is considered Advertising?

Postby KARL SERG » 6 January 2016, 14:09

I wanted to recommend a Game as an Example and I was scolded for advertising it: viewtopic.php?f=121&t=15310&p=142626#p142626
While I have no Problem with that, I have recommended Games (and Forums) in the Past as Examples and Inspiration and hadn't gotten any Warning for it:
viewtopic.php?f=120&t=15299
viewtopic.php?f=133&t=15304&p=142421#p142421

I made this Topic so we could clarify once and for all what exactly are we allowed to post regarding Games, Forums, etc. as Examples (or if we are allowed to do it at all). I have read the Rules and I understand what could happen if somebody would link an inappropriate Game, but the fact that I wasn't warned before puts me in Doubt.

My Question is: Was this Warning a Mistake caused by Circumstances unknown to me, should I only recommend (appropriate) Games, Forums, etc. in Private OR not do it at all?

P.S.: I have made a Topic about this in the Open instead of PMing a Staff Member because I sensed that it might be healthy to debate about this with the Community, since the People can have worthy Opinion in my Opinion. I rest my Case.
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Re: What is considered Advertising?

Postby DoomWrath » 6 January 2016, 14:35

KARL SERG wrote:My Question is: Was this Warning a Mistake caused by Circumstances unknown to me, should I only recommend (appropriate) Games, Forums, etc. in Private OR not do it at all?

From what you say, the "only recommend (appropriate) Games, Forums, etc. in Private" option is the most sensible. Obviously we don't expect every player to sit here 24/7, and never play or take part in any other games/communities, but we don't want to start diverting everyone's attention to other games when they do come to this forum. And keep it appropriate. No 'Stripper Slaughterhouse: More Gore Edition' either ;)

So in private, if the situation is appropriate, you can suggest to a friend that you try out another game/site/chatroom. Use PMs, don't create a big topic about it, and no harm is done.

I class advertising as the posting/sharing of a link solely to draw attention to the linked resource itself. Doing that in any form is always against the rules.
DoomWrath
Usurpation Destroyer [350]

Re: What is considered Advertising?

Postby KARL SERG » 6 January 2016, 14:56

Ok, this clarifies it for now, then.

I suppose there's no more use of this for now, so I'll lock it.
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]

Return to General Discussion