Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

General Discussion related to the Plazma Burst game series.

Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby monkeyman2535 » 23 October 2015, 00:35

Please keep these forums.
We don't need any others. We've been through too much crap to just dump these and set up new ones elsewhere. Finally we've found some constancy, some sign of hope. I like these forums. They look nice and they carry good memories, regardless of how many deletions and insanity they've gone through. These forums bring us closer to PB2: closer to its website, and closer to its memories. Tempus-- stop paying "out of your pocket". PB2 is no longer a frequent DDoS target. Your forums drew people further away from PB2. They were not connected to the website. They didn't even look pb2-related. They were full of glitches and the registration process was shoddy and probably turned lots of people away. Activity died off, and people didn't care. The fancy plug-ins and widgets didn't make it any better.
If Eric wants to go back to your forums, that's his own deal. I would prefer if PB2.5 had either these forums or something similar to them-- forums attached to a website, set up by the guy who made the game itself. But I'd prefer to stay here.
✿✿✿~*.:тнσѕє αяє му тнσυgнтѕ:.*~✿✿✿
User avatar
monkeyman2535
Civil Security Lite [100]
 
Posts: 116
Joined: 28 July 2013, 21:22
Location: wand'ring softly down the halflit streets

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby mech1354 » 23 October 2015, 01:52

Yep. These forums carry a lot of nostalgia for me- they've worked just fine for a long time, and it's so much more convenient than going to some other off-site forum. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
mech1354
User avatar
mech1354
Recruit
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 16 July 2013, 07:10
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby TradeMark » 23 October 2015, 04:29

I agree, keep the forums we have now.

TradeMark
 

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby maxim12 » 23 October 2015, 10:14

I agree with what the OP said.

maxim12
Civil Security Ghost [400]
 
Posts: 435
Joined: 16 July 2013, 20:56
Location: Israel, Haifa.

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby KARL SERG » 23 October 2015, 13:20

I remember the day the Second Forums were up and I disliked them because of their Reputation System... good memories.

Anyway, I agree. These Forums allow us to do a lot of Things even if we can't vote each other up or down. I believe it's best to keep them in order to prevent further Problems and keep the Last Forums as a backup option, in case their existence doesn't require payment from the Staff.

P.S.(sarcasm): Nice Avatar, monkey ;).
User avatar
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]
 
Posts: 421
Joined: 17 July 2013, 12:01
Location: Romanian Oligarchic Republic

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby Monovalent » 23 October 2015, 14:36

I'd prefer to have Tempus' latest forum back. But so he won't close it or switch to the new one for some questionable reasons over and over again.
User avatar
Monovalent
Civil Security Lite [100]
 
Posts: 104
Joined: 8 June 2015, 14:03

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby The Demian » 24 October 2015, 03:00

*In the meantime Tempus trying to find a good host for PB2.5 forums*
This forum is useless for plugin install,
if you see it that way, new pls.
If you want an actual working forum with no problems, keep this one.
History with forums switch proved that every new forum failed.

i c u
User avatar
The Demian
Usurpation Soldier [50]
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 17 January 2014, 03:00
Location: Argentina

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby Ghostehz » 24 October 2015, 05:07

i remember when the new forums were installed

i also remember leaving this place for the better part of a year after that happened k

Credits to Flame99999.
User avatar
Ghostehz
Usurpation Soldier [50]
 
Posts: 96
Joined: 16 July 2013, 00:48
Location: United States

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby KARL SERG » 24 October 2015, 10:23

The Demian wrote:*In the meantime Tempus trying to find a good host for PB2.5 forums*
This forum is useless for plugin install,
if you see it that way, new pls.
If you want an actual working forum with no problems, keep this one.
History with forums switch proved that every new forum failed.


This seems quite funny to me since the other Forums weren't particularly necessary with this one here even if they created more Opportunities, some of them weren't really required.
User avatar
KARL SERG
Civil Security Ghost [400]
 
Posts: 421
Joined: 17 July 2013, 12:01
Location: Romanian Oligarchic Republic

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby Savxir » 24 October 2015, 16:34

Please keep these forums, my nostalgia needs to be tamed.
User avatar
Savxir
Cyber Grub [25]
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 7 July 2014, 03:13
Location: American Union

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby Abashed Llama » 24 October 2015, 20:21

I agree with keeping these particular forums, as I did not really like the other forums. However, I don't have any nostalgia for this as I joined PB2 less than a year ago.

Abashed Llama
 

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby Green eyed Demon » 24 October 2015, 20:46

Nostalgia and old times on these forums really do make you think but why limit yourself when you can "Make it better"?

Green eyed Demon
 

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby tehswordninja » 24 October 2015, 21:07

I honestly agree, the memories tho.
Anyways, once PB2.5 comes out all that's needed is a slight update and maybe a background or something, idk.
who needs a PB2.5 release date, anyways?
User avatar
tehswordninja
Head Moderator
 
Posts: 698
Joined: 10 November 2013, 17:24
Location: Witty tagline

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby Syringe » 24 October 2015, 21:14

Nostalgia here. This forum is superior to the few that we burned through after this was shut down. It looks better, layout is easier on the eyes, and it's better implemented into the main site. I'd like to see this forum renovated to allow PB2.5 topics; maybe it could be a forum for the whole series with subsections for each game.
/0
User avatar
Syringe
Cyber Grub [25]
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 14 April 2014, 23:35
Location: United States

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby monkeyman2535 » 24 October 2015, 22:12

Green eyed Demon wrote:Nostalgia and old times on these forums really do make you think but why limit yourself when you can "Make it better"?

As I stated in my post, making new forums did not "make it better". Registration bugs, other bugs, ugly, non-pb2-like design (you can debate me on their being ugly, but they sure as hell didn't look like they were PB2-related), lack of a substantial userbase, accounts not linked to PB2 accounts, Tempus had to pay for them with his own money, the community was collapsing, etc, etc, etc.

I was fine with the second forums-- they looked a lot like good old PB2, had a few glitches but not as many as the others, had a good community, and, on top of it all, there was actually a legitimate threat to PB2 site security back then.

The third forums were basically a symbol of staff incompetence and lack of accountability, and of the decline of the community. It took them forever to get finished, and even then, they were a disappointment. The fact that we had changed forums so quickly and we received little explanation for the transfer was a severe blow to most people's faith in the staff and the community, so they gave up and left.

Here we have an opportunity to return to our roots, with forums closely linked to Eric, the PB2 site, and old memories. Whatever you say about the lack of fancy plugins here, these forums are the best we've ever had. No bugs, well-attached to the PB2 site, and a good-looking and simple design. The fancy plugins cannot "make it better".
✿✿✿~*.:тнσѕє αяє му тнσυgнтѕ:.*~✿✿✿
User avatar
monkeyman2535
Civil Security Lite [100]
 
Posts: 116
Joined: 28 July 2013, 21:22
Location: wand'ring softly down the halflit streets

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby NNC » 25 October 2015, 01:38

Yeah, let's keep it this way. We've lost all the info we had in both forums, but who would ever care? It's so cool! We've lost a number of features, but who would ever give a single f... who would ever care? Pros need no extra features!

Eh, no. I am disappointed.

They [current forums] look nice and they carry good memories, [...] These forums bring us closer to PB2: closer to its website, and closer to its memories.
40 topkeks given
It's not a real reason to revert everything.

monkeyman2535 wrote:They [pbf.com] were full of glitches and the registration process was shoddy and probably turned lots of people away. Activity died off, and people didn't care.
What? If people run away because registration process is too hard for them, they are just idiots who are unable to read/think. Honestly, it's not a problem to lose this part of community.

Activity? I'd prefer quality over quantity. Yes, pbf.com's activity was somewhat lesser than older forums' activity. Have you thought about the reason? I guess no. It's simple: pbf.com had way less idiots to make non-informative filler posts like "i like this idea +1", "i don't like this idea -1", "cool art", "bad art" etc, as they just couldn't register. It's good to have less activity of this sort. If you'd look at topics in the current forum, you'll see that pretty much every fourth message has no use.

monkeyman2535 wrote:The fancy plug-ins and widgets didn't make it any better.
Seriously?

mech1354 wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This BS rule is mentioned again?
That forum was moved into read-only state because it broke, therefore it was necessary to somehow fix it.

Syringe wrote:This forum is superior to the few that we burned through after this was shut down.
wut

Syringe wrote:It looks better
pbf.com had much more consistent colour scheme/palette.

Syringe wrote:layout is easier on the eyes
How is it easier? Are you talking about enormous font size when writing a message? Or probably it's about all the tones of gray color in a single interface?

monkeyman2535 wrote:As I stated in my post, making new forums did not "make it better".
It did, no matter how much you don't like it.

monkeyman2535 wrote:Registration bugs
wut
Just because it was so hard for you to register (and, tbh, registration was not any difficult), doesn't mean it's a bug... Do you actually know what does "bug" mean?

monkeyman2535 wrote:other bugs
wut
At this point I clearly see that you don't know the definition of "bug".

monkeyman2535 wrote:ugly, non-pb2-like design
Just because it isn't PB2-related, doesn't mean it's ugly. If someone would ask me what to call ugly, I'd say it's the top part of the current forums - suckish font, confusing buttons & drop-down lists layout... it doesn't even have a button to view user's profile, and "Forum Profile" button links to UCP.

Furthermore, who ever said that current forum's design is so close to PB2? I haven't noticed a single button which looks like something from PB2 interface.

And btw, it's nothng wrong to not copy in-game interface. This applies to both pbf.com and this forum.

monkeyman2535 wrote:lack of a substantial userbase, accounts not linked to PB2 accounts,
It's the same thing, why'd you double it? Are you trying to scare us or something?

monkeyman2535 wrote:[first, second, third forums philosophy]
I remember that there was 4 forums + the current one. Although my memory isn't the best thing to rely on, your "philosophical" (I'd say something else...) phrases are not reliable at all. Maybe you have some screenshots left, so you could show us how do you count?

monkeyman2535 wrote:Here we have an opportunity to return to our roots
Who said it's something good? Going "to the roots" can easily screw things up, and PB2 forums story is not an exception.

monkeyman2535 wrote:these forums are the best we've ever had.
No. Have you actually seen the previous forum? I doubt.

monkeyman2535 wrote:No bugs
Don't you remember what was the reason of closing these forums in the first place? Ah, wait, I forgot that you don't know what a bug is.

monkeyman2535 wrote:and a good-looking and simple design
Look above.

monkeyman2535 wrote:The fancy plugins cannot "make it better".
Pretty sure you have something better to do than repeating the same phrase for again and again.



Just because someone wants nostalgia, doesn't mean everyone should stick with the worst version. If you guys want nostalgia, why not just revert the game to the first version?
No, I'm not saying that current forums should be shrekt immediately - in fact, these can be used w/o too many issues, especially if someone could do something with the top section. I only say that pbf.com was better in most ways when compared to current forum, and wiping out all the tutorials and stuff on both pbf.com and older forums was a terrible idea.
~~~~
User avatar
NNC
Android T-01187 [200]
 
Posts: 224
Joined: 16 July 2013, 07:18
Location: East Coast Russia

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby xChakra » 25 October 2015, 02:26

This here should become the Plazma Burst Forums in general, as I have asked and gave good reason to why PB2.5 should only be a site update, because we will only benefit from that.
[sarcasm] Yeah... Sure[/sarcasm]
Spoiler: Show More
Loading...
User avatar
xChakra
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 31 December 2013, 01:49

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby Syringe » 25 October 2015, 02:34

NNC wrote:Just because someone wants nostalgia, doesn't mean everyone should stick with the worst version. If you guys want nostalgia, why not just revert the game to the first version?
No, I'm not saying that current forums should be shrekt immediately - in fact, these can be used w/o too many issues, especially if someone could do something with the top section. I only say that pbf.com was better in most ways when compared to current forum, and wiping out all the tutorials and stuff on both pbf.com and older forums was a terrible idea.

A few problems with this. These forums are nostalgic because they're from an era of PB2 long-passed. The Tempus initiative forums weren't nostalgic because they were operating not too long ago. So "just because you wants nostalgia, doesn't mean everyone should stick with the worst version" doesn't work, because there is no 'nostalgic' alternative. This is the only forum old enough to be called nostalgic. But I agree nostalgia plays a little role in forum quality and can be disregarded.

This forum has a superior layout because it isn't needlessly complicated by the background and side textures, and it has account linkage. More players will use it because people are naturally lazy and don't like making a commitment with little exposure. Even players with good material to add to the discussion will refuse a simple email registration process; it's human nature. This forum allows everyone, and not just the dedicated to contribute. Given time and enough exposure to the forum I believe even the lazy users will become dedicated to the discussion.
/0
User avatar
Syringe
Cyber Grub [25]
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 14 April 2014, 23:35
Location: United States

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby xChakra » 25 October 2015, 02:48

I don't think the community is applicable when we're talking about site functions.
[sarcasm] Yeah... Sure[/sarcasm]
Spoiler: Show More
Loading...
User avatar
xChakra
Advanced Usurpation Soldier [150]
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 31 December 2013, 01:49

Re: Yeah, no, let's keep it this way.

Postby monkeyman2535 » 25 October 2015, 05:30

@NNC If you think anyone cares enough to read your pretentious wall of denial, you must be out of your mind. I will, however, take the time to tell you that I do know what a bug is, and that the bug I experienced most prominently with the old forum was that it repeatedly logged me out even when I clicked "remember me". It's disconcerting that you think it's a good idea to shoot insults at people before you actually consider the validity of their points. Everything else in your post is denial, and I won't even try to argue with you because you've clearly already made up your mind.
As a sidenote, try to sound like less of an ass.
✿✿✿~*.:тнσѕє αяє му тнσυgнтѕ:.*~✿✿✿
User avatar
monkeyman2535
Civil Security Lite [100]
 
Posts: 116
Joined: 28 July 2013, 21:22
Location: wand'ring softly down the halflit streets

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users